Prices on DLC. (The Blog Initiative #3)

Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Hey guys, NekuSakuraba here and today I'm going to be blogging inspired the new DLC from Gears on War 3. This isn't a blog on how they shouldn't be charging for it or how it's is on disc, no, it's how much they are charging for it which I found outrageous. Here we go.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Actually, fuck this blog. This gun is worth $60 alone.

So in case you haven't realised, Gears of War 3 will have cosmetic DLC in the form of weapons skins. I think cosmetic stuff is fine to have and while I prefer having to work for it to give a sense of achievement as long as it doesn't effect gameplay it's fine, right? Wrong. Let me briefly touch on the subject of on disc DLC, I don't mind it that much. It doesn't make that much of a difference and I understand people see it as a way for developers to cheat you out of your money by including content on the disc and making you pay for it and that DLC is usually stuff added on after release that the developers couldn't finish before shipping but it sometimes could cause problems (didn't it cause problems with Mortal Kombat or some other game?). I understand both sides of the issue and they both are pretty reasonable but I just wanted to make it clear that I am not being biased because the DLC is on disc or anything like that.

Now, let's get onto why this sucks: the pricing. All of the skins will cost you around the same price of the game itself... I'm not kidding you. This is so utterly stupid and it makes no sense whatsoever! I understand the publisher/developers wants more money but pricing skins at the same price of a game is ridiculous. Think of it this way: They spend years making a game, put in all this hard work, code, story, voice acting, art, graphics and they only charge you $60 for it but then they go around and whip up some textures, whack em on guns and charge you the same price for the whole set? please, compare the time and money it takes making a game to slapping on some textures for guns. Are you going to tell me that it is the same amount of work? of course it isn't! As I said, I don't mind cosmetic stuff if it's reasonably priced but don't make it seem like skins are worth as much as the game itself.

It isn't only Epic mind you, there are heaps of companies doing it. Maybe I'm missing something, is there some crazy thing that justifies the price on skins? Let me know if there is and tell me what you think about all this, am I just overreacting or am I right?

Thanks for reading, if you enjoyed the blog follow me on Giant bomb or my newly set up Twitter. I'm open to any advice on my blogs so I can keep improving.

Thanks again!

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Hey guys, NekuSakuraba here and today I'm going to be blogging inspired the new DLC from Gears on War 3. This isn't a blog on how they shouldn't be charging for it or how it's is on disc, no, it's how much they are charging for it which I found outrageous. Here we go.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Actually, fuck this blog. This gun is worth $60 alone.

So in case you haven't realised, Gears of War 3 will have cosmetic DLC in the form of weapons skins. I think cosmetic stuff is fine to have and while I prefer having to work for it to give a sense of achievement as long as it doesn't effect gameplay it's fine, right? Wrong. Let me briefly touch on the subject of on disc DLC, I don't mind it that much. It doesn't make that much of a difference and I understand people see it as a way for developers to cheat you out of your money by including content on the disc and making you pay for it and that DLC is usually stuff added on after release that the developers couldn't finish before shipping but it sometimes could cause problems (didn't it cause problems with Mortal Kombat or some other game?). I understand both sides of the issue and they both are pretty reasonable but I just wanted to make it clear that I am not being biased because the DLC is on disc or anything like that.

Now, let's get onto why this sucks: the pricing. All of the skins will cost you around the same price of the game itself... I'm not kidding you. This is so utterly stupid and it makes no sense whatsoever! I understand the publisher/developers wants more money but pricing skins at the same price of a game is ridiculous. Think of it this way: They spend years making a game, put in all this hard work, code, story, voice acting, art, graphics and they only charge you $60 for it but then they go around and whip up some textures, whack em on guns and charge you the same price for the whole set? please, compare the time and money it takes making a game to slapping on some textures for guns. Are you going to tell me that it is the same amount of work? of course it isn't! As I said, I don't mind cosmetic stuff if it's reasonably priced but don't make it seem like skins are worth as much as the game itself.

It isn't only Epic mind you, there are heaps of companies doing it. Maybe I'm missing something, is there some crazy thing that justifies the price on skins? Let me know if there is and tell me what you think about all this, am I just overreacting or am I right?

Thanks for reading, if you enjoyed the blog follow me on Giant bomb or my newly set up Twitter. I'm open to any advice on my blogs so I can keep improving.

Thanks again!

#2 Posted by EuanDewar (5028 posts) -

You doing like a blog a day or something?

#3 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

Nobodies forcing you to buy them. If you're the kind of guy that buys one game a year, and this is it, you're probably indifferent towards paying a pittance for something fun like that.

#4 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

You doing like a blog a day or something?

Probably, how are you liking them?

#5 Posted by EuanDewar (5028 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba: They're nice but I would prefer one a week or something. Kind of fatiguing at one a day.

#6 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

@NekuSakuraba: They're nice but I would prefer one a week or something. Kind of fatiguing at one a day.

Okay, thanks.

#7 Posted by Vanek (383 posts) -

I think it's insanely priced, but the sad thing is people will still be hardcore enough about Gears of War and buy it.

The normal way I look at DLC is that you're paying for something remotely useful, or at the very least a full character skin. The weapon skins however have no bearing on the gameplay itself and more importantly, from what I've seen so far at least, they look absolutely terrible. I really don't understand why anyone in their right mind would pay for weapon skins.

#8 Posted by Swoxx (3003 posts) -

Pretty neat blog you got there @NekuSakuraba, consider yourself followed

#9 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@Swoxx

Pretty neat blog you got there @NekuSakuraba, consider yourself followed

Thanks! Glad you like it. :)
#10 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5146 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

I have to agree.

#11 Posted by Getz (3095 posts) -

Isn't the whole purpose of micro-transactions to have a low price point? Three dollars is a lot of money for a cosmetic upgrade; they'd probably make a fortune on these things if they were sold at a lower price point. I have a feeling Microsoft takes a good chunk of the sale, so they probably feel they have to make some money off of this thing. I also can't say for certain that they wont sell well, I just know that as it stands now I know I won't be buying any of the DLC, while if they were cheaper I would end up spending way too much on it. Epic could learn a thing or two from Farmville or League of Legends.

#12 Posted by Zidd (1851 posts) -

League of legends has similar prices on their skins I'm pretty sure.

#13 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I'll admit that the pricing is really bad considering Gears is already a $60 and a lot of its competitors, namely Halo and CoD, are offering a lot more cosmetic options in their games for free.

But I bought that god damn rainbow gun, and I'd buy it again.

#14 Edited by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

I'm one of the biggest defenders of on-disk DLC you'll find outside of a dev studio.  Even outside of a case like this where not putting it on disk would have wrecked multiplayer.  But I think these prices are terrible for the bottom of the barrel quality.  I'm even going to dredge up the Horse Armour.  That at least looked good.  From what I saw on the QL, I'd say the entire pack is worth maybe $5.  

Also, blog as often as you like.  Nobody is forced to read them. 
#15 Posted by SnakeSDR (64 posts) -

I understand why on-disk DLC exists, I don't exactly like it, but I understand it. It could be to prevent compatibility issues for multiplayer (see what happened with Mortal Kombat) or it could be a way to avoid pushing out too many patches which to my understanding Microsoft is rather strict on (not Sony though, to an almost detrimental extent). But that's not really what you are getting into here. The cost is ridiculous, but I feel the cost of a lot of digital content has been getting too pricey for what you're actually getting, for quite a bit now. That is generalising, a lot of games have great DLC that I would gladly pay for, but these kind of cosmetic upgrades should be cheaper. Sure, you don't have to buy them, but for those that want to customise their character a little, to stand out from the crowd, shouldn't have to pay that kind of price. The statement made often about this subject is "vote with your wallet". Well that's just it in the end, if you don't agree with it, don't buy it. But there are plenty who don't mind paying that much, and will be happy with their purchase, and you know what, good for them. I hope their Rainbow Lancer brings them joy, because I believe we really just want silly looking guns too, just for for less (or for free).

#16 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11280 posts) -

I concur.

Moderator Online
#17 Posted by TheSpartanDon (158 posts) -

I've only bought the Pink Skin and Rainbow Skin with some spare MS points I had on my account. But I won't actively be purchasing MS points to invest in the skins, in fact I doubt I'll be buying anymore. The pricing is absurd, especially if you plan on purchasing them all (which is silly because you can only have 5 equipped, only 2 of which appear during gameplay)

#18 Posted by Barrock (3545 posts) -

This is extremely depressing. I bought the big $150 Epic Edition. I bought the $30 LE Strategy Guide. Yet I still have to pay extra for these skins? Ugh. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.