Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Screens and in-game footage of weapon skins

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

mastrbiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By mastrbiggy

Epic still haven't given a good reason as to why these cost money. There is absolutely no reason why this can't be free especially when they are already on disc. I realize that they aren't mandatory, but they were made before the game went gold so it isn't like these skins are post launch content.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zyn

The Lightning skin looks cool, but no buy from me.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Afroman269

@mastrbiggy said:

Epic still haven't given a good reason as to why these cost money. There is absolutely no reason why this can't be free especially when they are already on disc. I realize that they aren't mandatory, but they were made before the game went gold so it isn't like these skins are post launch content.

That's because there isn't a good excuse. It's a way to make money pure and simple. Is it sleazy? Probably, but that doesn't mean that this hurts the overall quality of the game. There is already a lot of content on the disc, including skins. This shit is not necessary, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Also, are you on the development team? I didn't know they were working on these skins before the game went gold. Thanks for the scoop, insider guy.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By hatking

I would be far more interested in character skins than weapon skins; I don't really like the idea of making the already kinda silly weapons look even more like toys.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By EuanDewar

I was literally too afraid to click on this thread because I thought there would be spoilers.

Fuck.

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DerekDanahy

Maybe I just don't 'get it' but all those skins are fucking dumb or ugly.

Kanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kanden

All of them are so ugly.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By 234r2we232

So can you use the skins in the campaign at least? (not watching the video! not risking anything)

Kanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kanden

@sofacitysweetheart: No idea, the video only shows them in the multiplayer.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mastrbiggy said:

Because people are willing to pay for them.

Blame two things:

• First, you can blame used games, because they force companies to find another avenue to recoup the costs of development (which by the way, is getting increasingly more expensive with no increase in return.)
    • Second, blame Facebook. Social network-based games from the likes of Zynga and other successful developers have proven that people are willing to pay assloads of money for minor, insignificant things.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Slaker117

Kind of like the look of the chrome guns, and I think all the animated stuff looks dumb as hell, but that doesn't matter, because I won't be spending my money on any of it.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By handlas

all looks pretty dumb to me. Good. No reason for me to waste money on it...enjoy my regular ol' skins thank you.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sander
    @Afroman269 said:

That's because there isn't a good excuse. It's a way to make money pure and simple. Is it sleazy? Probably, but that doesn't mean that this hurts the overall quality of the game. There is already a lot of content on the disc, including skins. This shit is not necessary, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Also, are you on the development team? I didn't know they were working on these skins before the game went gold. Thanks for the scoop, insider guy.

I don't think he's telling the truth because I remember a promo clip from a while ago where they were talking about weapon camos. But they left out the fact that they would cost money, I wonder why.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Afroman269

@Sander: Ya they mentioned them back when the beta started, oh and look there are skins, including animated ones, in the final game. They also have these other skins for sale now, it's not like there isn't anything to unlock in the game. This shit is extra, they are not deliberately making the game lack content to increase the appeal of this other stuff. Not sure how many times I can repeat that. I don't like that they are putting out all this stuff but because this is only trivial extras, I don't care and won't buy it.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sander
    @Afroman269 said:

@Sander: Ya they mentioned them back when the beta started, oh and look there are skins, including animated ones, in the final game. They also have these other skins for sale now, it's not like there isn't anything to unlock in the game. This shit is extra, they are not deliberately making the game lack content to increase the appeal of this other stuff. Not sure how many times I can repeat that.I don't like that they are putting out all this stuff but because this is only trivial extras, I don't care and won't buy it.

Now who's playing the insider?
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Jeust

@allworkandlowpay said:

@mastrbiggy said:

Because people are willing to pay for them.

Blame two things:

• First, you can blame used games, because they force companies to find another avenue to recoup the costs of development (which by the way, is getting increasingly more expensive with no increase in return.)
    • Second, blame Facebook. Social network-based games from the likes of Zynga and other successful developers have proven that people are willing to pay assloads of money for minor, insignificant things.

It's very easy to put the blame on used games. Used games are a very big issue, and as much as they are to blame by downsizing sales, they are also responsible for a lot of people investing in gaming and consoles, as money don't grow on trees and buying solely new games can get pretty heavy on the budget.

EPIC simply wants to increase their revenues, their motives for that are however uncertain.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeust said:

It's very easy to put the blame on used games. Used games are a very big issue, and as much as they are to blame by downsizing sales, they are also responsible for a lot of people investing in gaming and consoles, as money don't grow on trees and buying solely new games can get pretty heavy on the budget.

EPIC simply wants to increase their revenues, their motives for that are however uncertain.

I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll make it quick. You say that used game sales leads to consumers investing in gaming and consoles, but that's only half correct at best. How much money does Epic games, as both publisher and developer, get from a console sale? $0.00. How much do they get from a used game sale? $0.00. Anybody that needs used games prices to entice them into buying a new console are not buying brand new games, they aren't even buying like new games, they are going for bargain bin stuff. None of that helps any developer in any substantial way.

Epic wants to increase their revenue, their motives are not uncertain. They need more money. Games cost a lot of money to produce, even more so now, and you need to find a way to make more money to pool into the next wave of development. It's not like they are being greedy whores for money, everybody is getting paid no matter what here, any surplus goes to the publisher, who then uses it to commission another title. Getting an extra $1.1 million in free money from DLC/weapon camo/character skins, that's a hefty investment to get the ball rolling on whatever new game they want to start working on. That can pay for a nice lengthy buffer period to experiment with new tech, play around with interesting ideas, commission concept art, etc etc.

If anything, people should be thankfully embracing such a relatively non-invasive method of gaining additional revenue. They could be charging you a fee to play the final level, or shortening the game length and adding a DLC pack to finish it. They could easily charge everybody a $10 dollar fee like many developers to activate any used copy for multiplayer.

I think this is really an issue of unearned entitlement on the part of the consumers. They get a fully fleshed out, 15 hour singleplayer experience, with two added on/improved side games added on, and fully realized co-op experience, AND the full facet of multiplayer features, and what do they bitch about then? Oooh, I have to pay a few dollars if I don't want to use one of the 30 other camo weapon skins that already comes in the game!

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Quacktastic

Just think of it as a stupid-tax.  Let people who don't know any better buy them and support something you like.

Since they are on the disc, I wonder if you kill someone who is using them, can you pick it up?  Maybe kill someone with the thing they paid for?  That could be fun.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Afroman269

@Sander said:

@Afroman269 said:

@Sander: Ya they mentioned them back when the beta started, oh and look there are skins, including animated ones, in the final game. They also have these other skins for sale now, it's not like there isn't anything to unlock in the game. This shit is extra, they are not deliberately making the game lack content to increase the appeal of this other stuff. Not sure how many times I can repeat that. I don't like that they are putting out all this stuff but because this is only trivial extras, I don't care and won't buy it.

Now who's playing the insider?

That's not being an insider, it's called following developer videos. Sorry that I'm more informed than you?

ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ChillyUK7

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Jeust said:

I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll make it quick. You say that used game sales leads to consumers investing in gaming and consoles, but that's only half correct at best. How much money does Epic games, as both publisher and developer, get from a console sale? $0.00. How much do they get from a used game sale? $0.00. Anybody that needs used games prices to entice them into buying a new console are not buying brand new games, they aren't even buying like new games, they are going for bargain bin stuff. None of that helps any developer in any substantial way.

Epic wants to increase their revenue, their motives are not uncertain. They need more money. Games cost a lot of money to produce, even more so now, and you need to find a way to make more money to pool into the next wave of development. It's not like they are being greedy whores for money, everybody is getting paid no matter what here, any surplus goes to the publisher, who then uses it to commission another title. Getting an extra $1.1 million in free money from DLC/weapon camo/character skins, that's a hefty investment to get the ball rolling on whatever new game they want to start working on. That can pay for a nice lengthy buffer period to experiment with new tech, play around with interesting ideas, commission concept art, etc etc.

If anything, people should be thankfully embracing such a relatively non-invasive method of gaining additional revenue. They could be charging you a fee to play the final level, or shortening the game length and adding a DLC pack to finish it. They could easily charge everybody a $10 dollar fee like many developers to activate any used copy for multiplayer.

I think this is really an issue of unearned entitlement on the part of the consumers. They get a fully fleshed out, 15 hour singleplayer experience, with two added on/improved side games added on, and fully realized co-op experience, AND the full facet of multiplayer features, and what do they bitch about then? Oooh, I have to pay a few dollars if I don't want to use one of the 30 other camo weapon skins that already comes in the game!

I think the problem isn't that their charging for weapon skins but that there are no other ways to unlock them, if you could complete challenges to unlock them or have some sort of crafting system (TF2) whatever, there would be no complaining, you may see these weapon skins etc trivial but to some their important especially for a game that has little to no character customisation. These skins have most likely been developed before the game went gold so their holding back content and charging you for it, yeah it's not like your getting charged for a level but who knows where it ends.

mastrbiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mastrbiggy

@Afroman269 said:

@mastrbiggy said:

Rod Ferguson said that the skin "dlc" was already on disc so that other players wouldn't have to download a skin pack to see the skins that people bought. Leading me to believe that the skins were made before the discs were shipped to retailers...

Go to 8:40 http://www.twitch.tv/videofletcher/b/295297811

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'd want the deadly cute one, but its just too much money for so little.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Afroman269
    @mastrbiggy

@Afroman269 said:

@mastrbiggy said:

Rod Ferguson said that the skin "dlc" was already on disc so that other players wouldn't have to download a skin pack to see the skins that people bought. Leading me to believe that the skins were made before the discs were shipped to retailers...

Go to 8:40 http://www.twitch.tv/videofletcher/b/295297811

Alright, I wasn't aware. In that case it is a shame to see that but my point still stands that all the skins are not behind some pay wall. You don't like what they're doing, don't buy. I know I won't.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow

$35 USD wepon skinz are teh awesum. such great value.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Sooty

They could have at least made a way to unlock this stuff without paying money. Which is what Valve do for Team Fortress 2.

and I don't think silly looking weapon skins look right in Gears. But whatever, it's money right guys?

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sander
    @Afroman269: Developer videos are little more than marketing tools and taking them at face value is the most naive thing I've seen all year. You really think they'd openly admit to deliberately holding back content?
    EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By EvilKatarn

Some of those things look like stupid ridiculous stuff that someone would've thought to be cool in 1999. Like someone switched some texture properties on their weapon skins. Which is why I love the look of them. Especially the rainbow one, it's ridiculous.

Granted, I wouldn't pay any kind of money for those. That's just idiotic at best.

Do they come with the $30 Season Pass? If so, then that's not a horrible extra to give up front.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Afroman269
    @Sander
    @Afroman269: Developer videos are little more than marketing tools and taking them at face value is the most naive thing I've seen all year. You really think they'd openly admit to deliberately holding back content?
    Seriously guy? You are still missing the point here, there is already sufficient content already in the game, it's not all behind a pay wall. Does it suck that they are doing this? Ya, but it's not like the game is hurting for stuff. If you want to keep this thing going, go for it. I'm done, there's only so many times I can repeat myself.
    left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By left4doof

I plan on buying the season pass and the rainbow skin that's it

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sander

@Afroman269
    Repeat what, exactly? That you'll just bend over and take it when you're subjected to repeated nickel+diming sales pitches(whenever you go to the skins menu)? That you'll just sit there flaccidly and smile politely when somebody tries to bait and switch you? 
    And not to mention the fact that if you pirate the game, like the uploader for all those videos likely did, you get everything for free saving $130+/-. So the customer who's legit and willing to pay, has content locked out while the person who pays nothing, gets everything. 
    Forgive me if I don't easily go along with all that.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Clonedzero

the Haze animated skin is mistakenly put up as free as of like 15 minutes ago. i downloaded it for free. i actually saw two Haze animated packs, exactly the same, one was for 320 MS points, the other was free. i snagged the free one no problem. give it a try.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By 234r2we232

They really did put pink weapons in Gears of War. Tell your friends.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.