Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Silverback on Rustlung... in Versus

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Sarumarine

I know how contentious DLC in Gears of War 3 can be... but for those that did get the new maps. I'm trying to figure something out.

I play bots in Versus because online play with people is a little too brutal and stale the way they use shotguns. And on Rustlung (the smallish area that takes place on the ship) something triggers a switch that pops up in the area labeled "Silverback" on the map. The guy on the loudspeaker who comments on the torpedoes rising and falling says something like "Silverback stage 1 complete". I managed to pull the switch and a short delay later, a Silverback rises up and you can drive it around the stage.

As you can imagine, the mini-gun wastes enemies in seconds (it's only loaded with two rockets though). And it's extra funny when a Locust rides around in it. Myrrah has some great lines when she takes control. It doesn't seem like an instant win button because smoke grenades act like EMP that disable the Silverback for a few seconds and kick you out.

But mostly, I'm trying to figure out what triggers it. I've played with the torpedo switches and searched the control room for buttons but nothing seems to work. I've spent a couple rounds dead and the stage 1 button still shows up. I've seen it on Team Deathmatch and Execution but I'm not sure about the other modes. Does anyone know how this works?

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By intro

I think it's time related. Like 4 minutes in and it comes up, if I recall correctly.

Doesn't seem too overpowered in my opinion. Like you said, smoke grenades knock you out. Also, people paying attention will be ready to shoot the hell out of you when getting in it.

EDIT: It's about 4 minutes and 30 seconds, just gotta wait.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sarumarine

Oh. Heh. I never would have expected you don't have to do anything. The time thing does make sense. The longest matches I've had were Team Deathmatch and Execution. Most of the time the game is over before that switch pops up. Next time I'll test it out with maximum lives and see if it works. That sounds right though.

pomeroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By pomeroy

I agree, it's time related. I was playing some 35 respawn TDM and got it every time. I really enjoy its presence. That map in general makes me very happy.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sarumarine

Heh. Yeah. When I think about it, it's not too unlike the Thrashball scoreboard falling down and the sandstorm in Trenches.

I did do something funny where I was in the Silverback and one of the bots popped the torpedoes up. The Silverback got stuck for a few seconds before self-destructing. Since I was kinda stuck in the air, I couldn't get out and died. I haven't been able to reproduce it. Getting those torpedoes up when the Silverback is on it takes some timing. It could have been a freak occurrence, but I felt like I had stepped into a trap.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By 234r2we232

@Sarumarine: Except you have to shoot the scoreboard down -_-

benjamimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By benjamimmy
    @sofacitysweetheart: After a certain amount of time has passed, it falls slightly which is when you can shoot it down, otherwise the scoreboard doesn't shift. which is probably what he meant by it being time related.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Afroman269

That's awesome, I haven't played on Rust Lung that much.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By 234r2we232

@KillaWolf13: Maybe someone will read it and learn something ;)

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

It's a little annoying when you're playing King of the Hill because one of the hills spawns right where the Silverback spawns. Last time I played a dude just sat in the Silverback on the hill and wasted everything that came near it. There was no way our team could even break it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.