The end of the trilogy will fail unless this happens.

#1 Edited by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

Like most people, when I'm not paying bills, eating meals or choking hookers, I'm thinking about Gears 3. What's Epic going to do to finish off this highly enjoyable shooter series? Beast mode sounds like it could totally awesome or the worst thing ever, depends on how it plays I guess. 

But beside all that, the (albiet barely noticeable) fiction should be addressed hard in this third installment. 

Specifically, this: 

See that thing on Marcus' head? That be a doo-rag y'all. And he's never taken it off for two whole games. 

At the end of number 3, he needs to take it off int he finale and reveal a bald head underneath. Not just any chrome dome mind you. But male-pattern baldness dad-on-a-picnic-playing-with-his-kids nut. It needs to be in this style. 

Otherwise, Gears 3 fails in its impact. They can have towering beserkers and giant city-sized worms and Marcus saying AW CMON every 2.8 seconds, but if they don't remove that doo-rag, Epic loses.  

Either that, or Marcus and Dom kiss at the end. Whatever.

#2 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

NOT LIKE THIS...

...BUT MORE LIKE THIS.
#3 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

And here I thought this was a serious thread.....
#4 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@JoeRiccadonna said:
" And here I thought this was a serious thread..... "
#5 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

Has anyone actually said that Gears 3 will be the last Gears game?

#6 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

What? I'm dead serious here. 

The impact of Gears 3's story will be minimal unless something totally unexpected such as this happens. For decades, fans will argue over whether this event was awesome or terrible. Otherwise the story risks being totally forgettable and fades into obscurity.
#7 Posted by ch3burashka (5073 posts) -

The Bombcast covered exactly this a while ago. And yes, they need to take it off, whether because they finally won (triumphant removal) or because they completely and utterly fail (surrendered removal).

#8 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

I actually somewhat agree. I wanna see the man under the rag.

#9 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA said:
"whether because they finally won (triumphant removal) or because they completely and utterly fail (surrendered removal). "

BOOM! That's exactly it right there! You listening Cliffy B?
#10 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

You're saying he should pull a Terry Bogard and throw off the doo rag after winning?

#11 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

I don't even care for these games but I definitely agree. 

#12 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

I hope his hair looks like Pete and Pete's dad.

#13 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

If he does take off that doo rag then he will turn into this... 

#14 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

In one of the trailers they released, you can see Marcus' hair. My mind was blown.

#15 Posted by Tuggah (1072 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA:   They even covered the making out between Dom and Marcus. This is almost a direct quote. 
#16 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

and i thought you were asking for Marcus & Dom to finally fess up and GET IT ON LIKE 6th GRADERS FOR THE VERY 1st TIME.

ALL NIGHT LONG
ALL NIGHT LOOOONNNNG

Nov'11 is so far away

@GlenTennis said:

" You're saying he should pull a Terry Bogard and throw off the doo rag after winning? "
dear gods, John Dimaggion saying "OOOKAY", "BUUURNKNUCKLE", "POWAH-WAVVE!" and "RISING TACKU!" is now stuck in my mind. Curse you!

#17 Edited by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -

I simply google-piced marcus fenix without a doo rag and this came up as the first result. Seems like it was posted at Gametrailers forum.

Sorry Rayfield, sorry.
#18 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

i never understood why they have these huge armored suits on and then no fucking helmet. 

#19 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -
@Rayfield: I don't like either of your game ending scenarios.
#20 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" i never understood why they have these huge armored suits on and then no fucking helmet.  "
There is a helmet. Most of the soldiers and Carmine use it. 

Dom, Marcus, and Cole Train are simply too badass for a fucking gay little helmet.
#21 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

No what needs to happen is Tai needs to comeback. I dont care how far fetched the reason is. Dizzy should have been the one caught because Tai is the man. 

#22 Posted by Agent47 (1896 posts) -
@AlexW00d: There is always one of these guys.Why bother posting on a thread clearly titled GOW3 if you know it doesn't interest you?
#23 Posted by NTM (7379 posts) -
@Rayfield:
Read the books.
#24 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -
@Agent47 said:
" @AlexW00d: There is always one of these guys.Why bother posting on a thread clearly titled GOW3 if you know it doesn't interest you? "
You clearly didn't even read my post. I said I don't care for the games, but I'd enjoy it nonetheless. I enjoy when people make big things out of nothing for ironic purposes. 
More importantly, why are you bumping month old threads?
#25 Edited by hexx462 (506 posts) -
#26 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

I think he also needs to get rid of that soul patch. Just saying...

#27 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -
@Landon said:

" Has anyone actually said that Gears 3 will be the last Gears game? "

No. In fact Cliff  Bleszinski has said on multiple occasions that the idea is pure bullshit. 

Cliff had this to say about it way back in 2006: 

Gears is a trilogy? If we can keep making quality games that fans obviously love then why would we have to stop at three? I don't see the Metal Gear Solid, Mario, Grand Theft Auto or Final Fantasy series stopping at three and they're still delivering compelling entertainment content that's easily worth the money. There's definitely, as many of you have pointed out, a lot more to learn about what's really happening on the plant Sera and in the lives of the members of Delta Squad.    

And again just a couple of weeks ago he reiterated: 

Gears of War never was planned as a trilogy. Somebody at Microsoft said that and that got attributed to me. I think if you're the kind of person who says "here's this game and it's going be the start of an epic trilogy", gamers are like fuck you, let's see how good your first game is. Bring it. You put them on the defensive. The key is to be humble and be like, who knows? Maybe. It'll be cool. We'll put each game out one at a time and see how it goes. It's like Final Fantasy. "This will be my final game and I'm done." And it blows up and they're on like, what, 13 now or something like that?

I think it's probably just marketing nonsense from Microsoft's end trying to drum up interest. 
#28 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" @JoeRiccadonna said:
" And here I thought this was a serious thread..... "
"
#29 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" If he does take off that doo rag then he will turn into this... 

"
YES! LMFAO! Gotta love the Aqua Teen.
#30 Posted by crzyhomer (26 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" The Bombcast covered exactly this a while ago. And yes, they need to take it off, whether because they finally won (triumphant removal) or because they completely and utterly fail (surrendered removal). "
Maybe he'll take it off in relief that Carmine survived, or in the horror that he didn't ;)
#31 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -
@Gargantuan said:
" I hope his hair looks like Pete and Pete's dad.

"
Great, now I have the Pete and Pete theme stuck in my head.
#32 Posted by Brendan (7807 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" i never understood why they have these huge armored suits on and then no fucking helmet.  "
For the same reason that people hate having a helmet on their Shepard.  Character interaction and emotion and by consequence the story suffer if everyone is hidden under a helmet. (Insert joke about Gears having no story).  It's just one of those entertainment world things you have to suspend your disbelief on.  
#33 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Dom and Marcus need to get together.

#34 Posted by 1337W422102 (1011 posts) -
#35 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
For the same reason that people hate having a helmet on their Shepard.  Character interaction and emotion and by consequence the story suffer if everyone is hidden under a helmet. (Insert joke about Gears having no story).  It's just one of those entertainment world things you have to suspend your disbelief on.   "
riiiiight... 

still looks fucking stupid
#36 Posted by Brendan (7807 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" @Brendan said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
For the same reason that people hate having a helmet on their Shepard.  Character interaction and emotion and by consequence the story suffer if everyone is hidden under a helmet. (Insert joke about Gears having no story).  It's just one of those entertainment world things you have to suspend your disbelief on.   "
riiiiight...  still looks fucking stupid "
To you, yes, but for a mass audience they need to have characters that articulate and show emotion as the story plays out.  It's no dumber than the thousands of illogical design choices you see in other games and movies for the sake of acting or style.  
#37 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
" @Brendan said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
To you, yes, but for a mass audience they need to have characters that articulate and show emotion as the story plays out.  It's no dumber than the thousands of illogical design choices you see in other games and movies for the sake of acting or style.   "
dude im nt fucking stupid. i understand this completely. you are not some smart dude in-the-know about this. i am well aware of the need of it for the sake of story telling. it doesn't matter. IT STILL LOOKS DUMB
#38 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

Well, it's just something else you have to suspend belief for. In a real military situation everyone would be wearing a helmet and one small fire team of soldiers wouldn't be able to single-handedly win almost every battle in which they're involved. Also, Baird wouldn't have those sweet frosted hair since I don't think he's every had a moment to go to a hair salon. Hell, there might not even be any hair salons left.

#39 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

Like others have said, there's a Patrick Stewart 'horse-shoe' hairdo under that doo-rag.

#40 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -
@CenturionCajun said:
" Well, it's just something else you have to suspend belief for. In a real military situation everyone would be wearing a helmet and one small fire team of soldiers wouldn't be able to single-handedly win almost every battle in which they're involved. Also, Baird wouldn't have those sweet frosted hair since I don't think he's every had a moment to go to a hair salon. Hell, there might not even be any hair salons left. "
They actually Directly address this in Gears 2, the main 4 make reference to the fact that they won't get sniped because they can actually see what the hell they are doing, not perfect but it is something.
#41 Posted by Skullomania (135 posts) -

Cliffy recently stated during a GDC interview (IGN Xbox podcast I think) that the gears guys are not bald space marines and "garuntees" that Marcus has hair under that doo-rag.
Whether or not its a rainbow afro is yet to be known.

#42 Posted by Brendan (7807 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" @Brendan said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
" @Brendan said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
To you, yes, but for a mass audience they need to have characters that articulate and show emotion as the story plays out.  It's no dumber than the thousands of illogical design choices you see in other games and movies for the sake of acting or style.   "
dude im nt fucking stupid. i understand this completely. you are not some smart dude in-the-know about this. i am well aware of the need of it for the sake of story telling. it doesn't matter. IT STILL LOOKS DUMB "
I don't know why you're getting all offended, I'm not trying to style myself as some intellectual.  In your original post you said "i never understood" not "i understand but I don't like it".  Try communicating properly if you want to be understood.
#43 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

" @TwoOneFive said:
There is a helmet. Most of the soldiers and Carmine use it.  Dom, Marcus, and Cole Train are simply too badass for a fucking gay little helmet. "

Actually they don't make halmets in the size of their heads.
#44 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

i dont give a shit if hes got this hair do underneath that do rag. i just want this damn game now!

#45 Posted by Theworldbreaker (173 posts) -
@tunaburn:
lol.
#46 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

I heard from a very reliable source cuz liek...my uncle works for Epic...and stuff that

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.