Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Thoughts on the beta thus far.

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Winger

The game is basically the good of both gears of war 1 and 2, it has the fast pace of gears 1 with the cover system and graphical improvements of 2 (Well, gears 3 graphics I suppose)

If you have been a diehard gears of war fan for a while now the game has many improvements you may appreciate if you were let down by gears 2, some of these are things I wish were included beforehand but never would of guessed epic actually thought it out and put them in.
    -No more idle animation while holding weapons (This was annoying in gears of war 2 because there was a good second delay to shooting from idle, and the only way to keep your weapon up was to consistently tap LT)
    -Faster pace, it isn't as fast as gears 2, as Rod Fergusson said it is a middle ground, but it is definitely a large step up from gears 2 but it compensates for the enclosed map size.
    -They evened out the roadie running and rolling speeds, however people still believe it makes them go fast so all you may hear is characters grunting every four seconds to weapon spawns.
    -Even though the dedicated servers aren't up yet the hit detection is remarkable, at this point they didn't even need them but since they are going to be in there I can only imagine how much better it will get.
    -The improved lighting engine is the star of the graphical aspect of Gears 3, light shines through and around surfaces and really makes the game and character models shine.
    -Automatic weapons have finally seen their place in competitive multiplayer, especially the Retro Lancer can go head to head with shotguns, this may be a minor letdown to gears 1 fanatics but its a sequel, seems as if epic has listened to the fans enough and gave them a really good game, and all i've heard is complaints of removing any new features of the game.

i've been here for a very long time and just decided to actually join in on the forums.

Just thought I would share my thoughts, but I doubt anyone else here really has the beta yet.

Never really looked over in this section either, don't know how strong the community is for Gears on GB.

Thank you for your time, feel free to share any thoughts or ask questions that may concern you about the game.
    Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

so...i wont like it?

no offense to anyone who likes gears MP. i could just never get into it. i almost bit on bulletstorm to get the beta, but (thankfully) decided against it at the last second
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By napalm

I ran with a group of eight or nine other people all through Gears Of War's multiplayer golden era, and I pretty much dropped it entirely when Gears Of War 2 came out. It felt off, and it felt all too similar to the original, especially in terms of shotgun use. What I have seen of Gears Of War 3 looks exciting, but I'm personally on the fence.

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Turtlemayor333

Overall, I like the beta. But I just have to wonder about the people screaming how OP shotguns are. People gravitating toward the shotguns could be for a variety of reasons, but because they're "overpowered" really isn't one. Although this is likely too strong of a word, I see using the shotgun throughout the entire game practically as a handicap. Let me clarify this...

The retro lancer is great. For all the wrong reasons. They claim strengthening the ranged weapons will encourage gameplay that isn't just "chase each other with shotguns" which should encourage taking cover and playing the game "properly." Not so. The attitude now seems to be "chase each other with retro lancers." Because of the liberal use of stopping power, it's 100% viable to take on a shotgun user in very close quarters spraying retro lancer shots. Shotgun duels in Gears 1 were multi-layered in that you could either go in for the quick strike and end it in one shot, or methodically have a mid-range duel until someone is laying on the ground. In this beta, shotgun users HAVE to have the former mentality because the rifles with stopping power will eat them alive otherwise.

I don't know how they fix this. Do you make it so stopping power only happens if the person shooting is in cover? That's dumb. Do you make it so that people can't blindfire rifles outside of cover? Maybe that's an option.

npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By npeterson08

So it sounds like they evened out the weapons a little? That was one thing which drove me crazy about GOW; constantly getting exploded by crazy rolling shotgun shots.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By audiosnag

Haven't gotten to play it just watched the quicklook so I really don't have much to back up what I'm saying but the Shotgun still looks pretty beastly. Maybe a bit too much so. Aside from that look awesome, haven't played Gears MP in a while and I'm looking forward to getting into this one.

Oh also welcome to the forums Winger.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Slaker117

I liked both Gears games so far, but I never got into the online. I normal play at a competitive level in shooters, but all my experience with both 1 and 2 were of me getting steamrolled by people who clearly played much more than I did. Also, some poor decisions in the basic way matches were structured in Gears 2 at launch really turned me off it. I hope they make changes in Gears 3 to be something I can enjoy. I like the single player and I like online shooter in general. It's a shame the previous games felt totally inaccessible to me.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Grimluck343
    @Winger said:
    -Even though the dedicated servers aren't up yet the hit detection is remarkable, at this point they didn't even need them but since they are going to be in there I can only imagine how much better it will get.
    I thought I saw a post on the official forums saying that the servers were up today. I'll try and find it.
    Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Winger
    @Slaker117 said:
    " I liked both Gears games so far, but I never got into the online. I normal play at a competitive level in shooters, but all my experience with both 1 and 2 were of me getting steamrolled by people who clearly played much more than I did. Also, some poor decisions in the basic way matches were structured in Gears 2 at launch really turned me off it. I hope they make changes in Gears 3 to be something I can enjoy. I like the single player and I like online shooter in general. It's a shame the previous games felt totally inaccessible to me. "
    Well as you may hear Jeff say a lot when gears MP is brought up he always says the games become over-run with people who are way too good at the game, and this is in fact true.

However this is also the reason most people love the MP in the first game, there seemed to be no limit skill-wise and even when going head to head with four people one man could clutch a round, even though in games like call of duty even the best player in the lobby can get easily taken down by a new player who just purchased the game, you will never see that happen in gears 1 and at this point, 3.

2 was a different story, it favored new players...and really 2 was just confusing, epic gave up their vision and made the game a crippled version of the first game, and it made many people go back, epic doesn't realise strafing with a shotgun while dodging and strategically placing shots is what made many people love the first game, no it wasn't what epic wanted but it turned gears in to something else entirely, it was something special, if epic didn't adopt the fact gears plays like that nobody would really love a game where you can take ten bullets and stand behind cover all day, it would be another run of the mill MP shooter with a cover system.

They really should of never done anything besides fix some glitches in gears 2, as they turned it in to a generally awful version of the first game.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By buft

my main problem is too many shotgun rollers, that shits annoying as hell. i do love horde mode and i cant wait to play the campaign.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Edin899
    @Winger said:
    " The game is basically the good of both gears of war 1 and 2, it has the fast pace of gears 1 with the cover system and graphical improvements of 2 (Well, gears 3 graphics I suppose)
    If you have been a diehard gears of war fan for a while now the game has many improvements you may appreciate if you were let down by gears 2, some of these are things I wish were included beforehand but never would of guessed epic actually thought it out and put them in.
    -No more idle animation while holding weapons (This was annoying in gears of war 2 because there was a good second delay to shooting from idle, and the only way to keep your weapon up was to consistently tap LT)
    -Faster pace, it isn't as fast as gears 2, as Rod Fergusson said it is a middle ground, but it is definitely a large step up from gears 2 but it compensates for the enclosed map size.
    -They evened out the roadie running and rolling speeds, however people still believe it makes them go fast so all you may hear is characters grunting every four seconds to weapon spawns.
    -The improved lighting engine is the star of the graphical aspect of Gears 3, light shines through and around surfaces and really makes the game and character models shine.
    -Automatic weapons have finally seen their place in competitive multiplayer, especially the Retro Lancer can go head to head with shotguns, this may be a minor letdown to gears 1 fanatics but its a sequel, seems as if epic has listened to the fans enough and gave them a really good game, and all i've heard is complaints of removing any new features of the game.

i've been here for a very long time and just decided to actually join in on the forums.

Just thought I would share my thoughts, but I doubt anyone else here really has the beta yet.

Never really looked over in this section either, don't know how strong the community is for Gears on GB.

Thank you for your time, feel free to share any thoughts or ask questions that may concern you about the game.
    "

Does the smoke grenade still stun and make you fall to the ground ?

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Winger

''Does the smoke grenade still stun and make you fall to the ground ?''

No, your character cringes for around three seconds, but you can walk around and do everything but shoot so it is a minor annoyance that really only advantages a person escaping.
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Edin899
    @Winger said:
    "

''Does the smoke grenade still stun and make you fall to the ground ?''

No, your character cringes for around three seconds, but you can walk around and do everything but shoot so it is a minor annoyance that really only advantages a person escaping.
    "
    WOW finally.
    The only reason i hated gears2 was because the dumb smoke grenades and nerfed shotguns.
    Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Winger

You should be very happy with this game then, they basically took gears of war 1, put in gears of war 2's cover and movement system and upped the movement speed and added weapon balance.

Yeah...weapon balance...in a gears game, well to me arguably gears of war 1 was perfectly balanced, as all weapons could be used effectively under the right conditions, but gears 2 was a power weapon mess with sniper rifle shotguns.

Of course there are plenty of new additions to keep the game fresh, but this IS the sequel most gears 1 fanatics have been waiting for, and if they can't accept the minor changes and additions to what seems to be the best edition of the MP they should just stay with the first game.

Remember how the original release date for gears 3 was april 5th? Epic were ready, the game barely needs any feedback at this point, not too many balance changes and honestly my only problem is the ledge mantling and jumping off of ledges, its fairly glitchy and they should just let your roll or roadie run off of them.

However, I feel that I am already getting bored of the beta due to Team Deathmatch being present, it is boring and rewards spawn killing and trapping CoD style, really sad they didn't include execution, as it is all I play, eh at least MK9 is releasing soon, that will tide me over forever.
    Carnage1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Carnage1290
    @Winger said:

However this is also the reason most people love the MP in the first game, there seemed to be no limit skill-wise and even when going head to head with four people one man could clutch a round, even though in games like call of duty even the best player in the lobby can get easily taken down by a new player who just purchased the game, you will never see that happen in gears 1 and at this point, 3.

Man, that is exactly why I loved the first game. Taking out the entire other team while being the last man standing on mine is something in gaming I will never forget, no other shooter has ever gotten my adrenaline pumping like Gears 1 did. Can't wait to get into the beta to check it out, unfortunately I have to wait two weeks as I just pre-ordered the game :(.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaneDev

I was too late to play Gears 1 online properly and Gears 2 was a total mess at launch when I tried to play but when I did I was always a little annoyed at the randomness of the shotgun one minute it would do nothing and the next you where a bloody mess on the ground. It just felt a little off. The quick look of Gears 3 really made it look like range combat was now an option as it seemed like most people were being killed by lancer fire. If its there is more of a balance of short range to medium range then I may just get into the mulitplayer for awhile at least.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By big_jon

If they fix the fucking bullet lag it will be a great start.

UnguardedChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By UnguardedChris

:)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Bollard
    @Turtlemayor333 said:
    " Overall, I like the beta. But I just have to wonder about the people screaming how OP shotguns are. People gravitating toward the shotguns could be for a variety of reasons, but because they're "overpowered" really isn't one. Although this is likely too strong of a word, I see using the shotgun throughout the entire game practically as a handicap. Let me clarify this...

The retro lancer is great. For all the wrong reasons. They claim strengthening the ranged weapons will encourage gameplay that isn't just "chase each other with shotguns" which should encourage taking cover and playing the game "properly." Not so. The attitude now seems to be "chase each other with retro lancers." Because of the liberal use of stopping power, it's 100% viable to take on a shotgun user in very close quarters spraying retro lancer shots. Shotgun duels in Gears 1 were multi-layered in that you could either go in for the quick strike and end it in one shot, or methodically have a mid-range duel until someone is laying on the ground. In this beta, shotgun users HAVE to have the former mentality because the rifles with stopping power will eat them alive otherwise.I don't know how they fix this. Do you make it so stopping power only happens if the person shooting is in cover? That's dumb. Do you make it so that people can't blindfire rifles outside of cover? Maybe that's an option. "
    But, chasing people with shotguns is the whole idea with Gears? To me that's the fun, rolling around and having epic shotgun battles is a tactical, fun exchange. Even in Gears 2 the ranged weapons still posed enough of a threat at a good enough distance. Plus you have the weapons spawning on the map to mix it up. Shotguns are not OP.
    Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Winger

Now that the dedicated servers are open and the beta is playable to everyone, and for some reason they locked out the other two maps and modes I was playing the other day I am finally enjoying the beta.

I got about four people in a row with the gnasher, the connection is really good and I hope it stays consistent for everyone, can't wait to hear my first person say HOST!!!

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Sitoxity

I'm loving that everyone can be powerful with the Gnasher, means the dreaded host advantage is gone, but does anyone else feel it's WAY too powerful? I'm in games where most people don't bother with other guns. I dunno if it's just me getting used to playing Gears again, but I feel like it's a bit cheap. I really like the Lancer and the Retro Lancer is killer too, I just want the opportunity to use them without worrying about everyone raping my face.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Edin899
    @npeterson08 said:
    " So it sounds like they evened out the weapons a little? That was one thing which drove me crazy about GOW; constantly getting exploded by crazy rolling shotgun shots. "
    This is why i hate the gears fanbase..

All they do is bitch how they get raped by shotguns and they just wanne sit back and use lancers.
    Why don´t you take the time to actually learn how to roll and aim coming from a roll and use the shotgun. Instead of bitching so much that they ruined gears to make it possible that noobs can get a kill.
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ares42

Pretty weak that they reduced the beta down to 1 mode 2 maps =/ As for the game, I've never played the previous MP at all (although I watched a good deal of MLG GeoW2), but it seems to me that the maps are somewhat lopsided. On the stadium it's all about camping the concession stands and in the store you want the checkout. Just seems to me like they could've done a better job at weapon placements. Other than that I'm having issues with the hammerburst, the mag is just a tad too small so I never actually get kills with it.

Oh, and btw, is there any quick switch for weapons ? The D-pad is so horrible, keep switching to the wrong one =/ They should really pick up the quick-switch from UC2. Something like hold L1+facebutton depending on what weapon you want.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

So far, I love it.

I like that I'm not randomly sticking to walls when I mean to roll/dodge.

I like that the shotguns actually seem like they are doing the damage they are supposed to.

I like the the new "team shared deaths" instead of if you get killed once you're waiting for 5 minutes until the next round.

The gameplay is smoother and it just plays better.

I love it.

npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By npeterson08
    @Edin8999 said:

" This is why i hate the gears fanbase..

All they do is bitch how they get raped by shotguns and they just wanne sit back and use lancers.
    Why don´t you take the time to actually learn how to roll and aim coming from a roll and use the shotgun. Instead of bitching so much that they ruined gears to make it possible that noobs can get a kill.
    "

This is why I hate the gears fanbase...

All they do is bitch about using guns other than the shotgun. Why don't you take the time to actually learn how to use a gun other than the shotgun instead of bitching so much about the non-shotgun using noobs that ruined gears?

(See, I can sound like a douche too.)
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ares42

Starting to feel the inexperience fucking me over =/ There's some "gimmick" to the shotgun that people have learned playing the first 2 games. Keep getting one-shot by the shotgun while I can pop 3+ shots and all my bullets just magically wiff. I'm guessing there's something about bullet projections or something ? Watching streams I see plenty of shotgun-kills where the target isn't anywhere near middle of the screen.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Nice read, hopefully i'll actually stick around this time with Gears MP.
    Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Winger

I am starting to feel the pendulum lancer is favored entirely over from shotguns in medium to close range, it seems to be around an 8 bullet down, and since the hipfire is so accurate now its almost too good.

I hope they balanced out the retro lancer and hammerburst, also as for the ledge mantling i mentioned earlier, it actually is addressed when you roadie run off an edge they actually scripted the character to jump off and keep running, impressive.

The lack of execution and cut of content for a little while really turn me off of the beta, along with the automatic weapons now being favored in close range, I hope they do something to the balance atleast.

Probably will only play one or two matches a day once MK9 releases tommorow. <--- Huh, according to GB tommorow isn't a word.
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By MariachiMacabre

After loving Gears 1 and 2 for their Campaign (and Horde in Gears 2) but hating the Multiplayer because I felt it was in desperate for dedicated servers, I gotta say I'm really enjoying the beta. I'm much better at it than I remember being in 1 and 2 (not awesome but not bad). Although I do think the Gnasher still needs some tweaking. I'm getting killed in one shot from it after I shoot people with 3 shots of active reloads from the same gun, which really doesn't make sense. Other than the Gnasher everything seems awesome and I look forward to playing it with my friends.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.