Too Short and Easy

• 82 results
#1 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

shortest game and easiest of the trilogy. i never was in any kind of trouble played it on normal and only died 2 or 3 times and that was because i rushed in.

And the storyline i didnt get it did was the fuel. You didnt get any from mercy but what about griffin? and then at the shipyard you look for fuel again it didnt make sense.

and the avatar award Marcus do-rag looks like a turban.

#2 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

I think Jeff mentioned that the game was a bit easy on normal. Have you tried it on hard though?

#3 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

@imsh_pl said:

I think Jeff mentioned that the game was a bit easy on normal. Have you tried it on hard though?

well now the game is over. what about the fuel?

#4 Posted by XenoNick (1368 posts) -

Try Insane.

#5 Posted by EuanDewar (4514 posts) -

Playing it on normal was a dumb idea if you played the other two.

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

They got fuel for their truck from Aaron, then needed more fuel for the submarine.
Oh and please play on Hardcore or higher, if somethings not challenging then turn up the difficulty and don't complain normal's actually normal instead of you dying often.

#7 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@AnimalFather and the award for nonsensical rant goes to...
#8 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

@AnimalFather said:

shortest game and easiest of the trilogy. i never was in any kind of trouble played it on normal and only died 2 or 3 times and that was because i rushed in.

And the storyline i didnt get it did was the fuel. You didnt get any from mercy but what about griffin? and then at the shipyard you look for fuel again it didnt make sense.

When you play a game on one of the easier difficulties you have no right to complain that it's "Too easy."

If it's too damn easy there's another two higher difficulty levels to play. Go nuts.

#9 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Shortest game in the trilogy? Dude, Gears 1 is 4 hours long. Plus, you played on normal, there's not even a need to take cover.
#10 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -
@XenoNick said:

Try Insane.

@Klei said:
Shortest game in the trilogy? Dude, Gears 1 is 4 hours long. Plus, you played on normal, there's not even a need to take cover.
#11 Edited by Chaser324 (5967 posts) -

I played through on Hardened my first time through, and the campaign was a pretty satisfying length. I didn't track the actual number of hours it took for me to complete it, but it didn't seem any shorter than most typical shooters.

Plus, I feel like the Gears games have some of the most replayable campaigns of any game out there (multiple difficulties, co-op, arcade scoring, etc). Add to that all of the various other competitive and cooperative modes, and I don't really see how you can complain about this not being a package worthy of $60.

Moderator Online
#12 Posted by shadystx (182 posts) -

I am playing it on hardcore and it's a perfect balance, It's a challenge but is not frustrating.

I would disagree that the campaign is short I am only on act 4 chapter 2 and so far I have played around 6-8 hours so I am expecting it to last around 8-10 which is a good length IMO for games like these.

Gears Of War 3 is a game of great value to me, A great campaign with a ton of extra content to play that you could easily get 50+ hours of content that varies, Beast mode, Horde mode, the campaign can be played on normal than arcade in single player or co-op then the multi-player that has a lot of maps and game modes.

Of what I have played Gears 3 would be in my top 5 games of this generation, It's a beautiful game with a lot of different and unique environments and I actually think the story is really good for a game of this type.

I really cannot see how anyone would consider this game not worth £40.

#13 Posted by DeanoXD (607 posts) -

i played through on hardcore first time around and taking time to play the game and not to rush through it i would say it took me 8 hours or so, but i am going through co-op now with friends, plus we have to do our insane run through, our arcade run through plus all the horde, beast and versus that we will do so this game wasn't and isn't easy or short. you just wanted to come here and complain for the sake of complaining.

#14 Posted by GunstarRed (4738 posts) -

While the game being a little on the easy side even on hardcore is true I completely disagree with it being the shortest. It took me 12 hours to finish it and that is longer than bother Gears 1 and 2. Normal mode really isn't the way to go if you know how gears works.

#15 Posted by damswedon (3168 posts) -

Took me about 12 hours on Hardcore. It took me till the end of act one to remember how to play Gears of War. The dificulty was fine, hard when it was supposed to be and a challenge most of the other times.

#16 Posted by familyphotoshoot (651 posts) -

Playing Gears 3 on "Normal" and then complaining that it's too easy and too short is like going to a fancy steakhouse, drowning your steak in ketchup, and then complaining to your waiter that the steak didn't taste all that great.

#17 Posted by guiseppe (2833 posts) -

Play it on insane if you want a real challenge.

#18 Posted by Bollard (5028 posts) -

Woah woah are those spoilers in the OP? He started talking about the story and I just stopped reading as it seemed pretty spoilerish. Spoiler tags plx!

#19 Edited by XenoNick (1368 posts) -

@Chavtheworld: No worries the stuff mentioned in OP isn't anything spoiler related.

#20 Posted by Mordi (553 posts) -

You don't get to complain about difficulty when it can be changed at any time by pressing start.

#21 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

I play ALL games on Normal cause thats how the devs intended the game to be played.

and half the game was about getting fuel for the submarine. meh.

#22 Posted by Bollard (5028 posts) -

@XenoNick: Ahhh thanks.

#23 Posted by RobotHamster (4156 posts) -

Took me about 12 hrs on hardcore as well, only died maybe twice and went down a few times. Still not sure if I should try insane on my own or go through in co-op.

#24 Posted by DonChipotle (2658 posts) -

@AnimalFather said:

I play ALL games on Normal cause thats how the devs intended the game to be played.

and half the game was about getting fuel for the submarine. meh.

The devs don't intend for people to play on Normal. That's why the harder difficulty in Halo specifically says "THIS IS HOW HALO WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED."

Also the fuel for the submarine plot was restricted to the end of Act 4. You know, when they found the submarine. Submarine fuel and fuel for a truck are not the same fuel.

#25 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

@AnimalFather: A couple of chapters does not equal half of the game. The devs don't "intend" people to play on any difficulty specifically, just the ones they have the right amount of challenge on. If you found it too easy, it's your own fault for not going back and choosing a harder setting. You can't complain about a game being too easy just because you didn't choose the right setting for you. That's YOUR fault, not the game or the devs.

#26 Posted by Burns09 (340 posts) -

Yeah definitely not the shortest game by a long shot. This argument is rendered moot.

#27 Posted by JokerFrown (307 posts) -

Hardcore took me most all day on launch day. Its defiantly LONGER then the other two Gears games if you set the difficulty correctly.

#28 Posted by CookieMonster (2408 posts) -

@AnimalFather said:

And the storyline i didnt get it did was the fuel.

Pardon?

#29 Posted by Burns09 (340 posts) -
@CookieMonster said:

@AnimalFather said:

And the storyline i didnt get it did was the fuel.

Pardon?

Come again?
#30 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4482 posts) -

What did you expect?

#31 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

@AnimalFather said:

shortest game and easiest of the trilogy. i never was in any kind of trouble played it on normal

Should've played it on hardcore...

#32 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -

Now I know this thread is trolling.

#33 Posted by Afroman269 (7388 posts) -
#34 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

Gears 2 was way too long, Gears 1 was pretty short but was quite difficult. Gears 2 wasn't too much of a challenge on hardcore (unsure of insane). Gears 3 is in between story lengths for the trilogy and in between difficulty.

I still know that Gears 1 was tough as nails on hardcore (solo)...

#35 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -

@TEHMAXXORZ said:

Gears 2 was way too long, Gears 1 was pretty short but was quite difficult. Gears 2 wasn't too much of a challenge on hardcore (unsure of insane). Gears 3 is in between story lengths for the trilogy and in between difficulty.

I still know that Gears 1 was tough as nails on hardcore (solo)...

Gears 2 insane still had it's troubles but wasn't too annoying. The most complicated part IMO was towards the end in a courtyard involving multiple waves of enemies.

#36 Posted by Seppli (9746 posts) -

@AnimalFather:

Game is too easy and you're not playing the highest available difficulty setting? Increase difficulty. Problem solved.

#37 Posted by davidinwrofy (71 posts) -

If you're a veteran of the first two games, having done all the campaigns and put in the hours on the multiplayer, you're always going find the third easier than most. If, having played Gears 2 and Gears 3, Gears 1 was your third Gears campaign you'd probably find Gears 2 super-easy. It's widely accepted that you have to play it on Hardcore for any sort of challenge, and for most Gearsheads, Insane is the only way to really put yourself to the test.

#38 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Turn up the difficulty and I thought the length was perfect.

#39 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

I have to say, I thought Hardcore was pretty damn easy for the highest difficultly you can pick out of the gate. I'm no Gears master, and I realize Insane is there for a real challenge, but Hardcore still felt largely mindless. So long as you put bullets in the air and don't rush out in the open like an idiot, you'll get through fine. I would have liked a little bit more friction.

#40 Edited by Ares42 (2445 posts) -

Been playing on hardcore myself, and I gotta say that this game just plays itself. When you play single-player you can basically just sit behind cover and wait for most of the game, only the time restricted stuff and some bosses actually require you to take part of the action. Through most of act 1 I actually felt like I was playing the game wrong or something because of it. In general, how overly coop-focused they have made this game has almost made it into a different game, and not for the better. In many ways it feels like they've taken too many steps out of their comfort-zone and the results are very mixed. But I really gotta emphasize that the fact that probably close to 50% of the enemies I faced I never even got around to even shoot at feels very unsatisfying.

#41 Posted by ds8k (412 posts) -

I've heard of people getting through the first act without firing once on Normal difficulty. Possible, or over exaggeration?

#42 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@ds8k: That seems totally plausible to me, given how much work the AI does even on hardcore.
#43 Posted by VoshiNova (1594 posts) -

Its a video game bro, play it again on a harder difficulty.

#44 Posted by Scotto (1113 posts) -

Epic were upfront about how "Hardcore" should be considered the default difficulty setting for seasoned Gears players prior to the game's release - sort of like how Bungie said veteran Halo players shouldn't play on the default difficulty level in Reach.

So if you found it too easy, that's kind of on you.

- Scott

#45 Edited by Teran (877 posts) -

@Sitoxity said:

@AnimalFather said:

When you play a game on one of the easier difficulties you have no right to complain that it's "Too easy."

If it's too damn easy there's another two higher difficulty levels to play. Go nuts.

I agree with you here. The main issue though is knowing which difficult the developers intended the game to be played on. Easy should obviously be easy... the hardest difficulty should be difficult... unreasonable difficult at times. The problem is, do the developers consider normal (second easiest) to be the game's "true" dififculty, or do they consider hardcore (second hardest) to be the "true" difficulty. Personally I think they intended for Hard Core to be the "this game is meant to be played on" difficulty which was great for me, however it's not unreasonable to guess that the developers balanced the game around "normal".

#46 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -
@ds8k: No exaggeration what so ever. I actually found the Ai in this game to be head and shoulders above the rest. 

They're very aggressive and extremely competent when it comes to defeating enemies, They're very good at using grenades which shocked the hell out of me consider AI in a lot of other games never seem to rely on grenades. They're also very good about making their way to you when you're DBNO. The actual reviving is kind of touchy mainly because they'll walk over to you but continue to try to take out enemies rather than stop for a second and revive you (which if it were real life, is how it should be) but when you playing in arcade and you're watching your combo meter drop like a brick, it's the most annoying thing ever.
#47 Posted by minotaka (320 posts) -

Surely not as short as gears 1 ?

#48 Posted by Tennmuerti (7726 posts) -

Another quality post by AnimalFather

#49 Edited by Ares42 (2445 posts) -
@hbkdx12 said:

@ds8k: No exaggeration what so ever. I actually found the Ai in this game to be head and shoulders above the rest.   They're very aggressive and extremely competent when it comes to defeating enemies, They're very good at using grenades which shocked the hell out of me consider AI in a lot of other games never seem to rely on grenades. They're also very good about making their way to you when you're DBNO. The actual reviving is kind of touchy mainly because they'll walk over to you but continue to try to take out enemies rather than stop for a second and revive you (which if it were real life, is how it should be) but when you playing in arcade and you're watching your combo meter drop like a brick, it's the most annoying thing ever.

Well, the reason the AI is good is probably because they've just imported the multiplayer bots (which most single-player games don't have). But, as I said earlier, it actually becomes a detriment to the game. What makes it even worse is that they're invulnerable and have unlimited ammo, as it basically means you have infinite bots on your side vs the finite numbers of enemy bots. But of course making them actually vulnerable would completely ruin the game. The big flaw lies in the fact that they made a co-op campaign (where there's always 4+ members in your team) that you can play alone, instead of making a single-player campaign that you can co-op if you want. If you ask me they should've stuck to their traditional wing-man structure.
#50 Posted by CactusJack (142 posts) -

You did that to yourself. If you found it too easy, turn up the difficulty. I heard from several different sources to play the game on hard the first time through if you have played Gears before. Jeff said it a few times.........

Also, this: " @AnimalFather and the award for nonsensical rant goes to.."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.