Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

watch this spread on the sawed off. Completely broken.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tunaburn

So i have gotten to the point where i pretty much leave the game if there are 3 or more people with sawed off shotguns running around. It is horribly unbalanced. I would not think this if it at least needed to be aiming in the general area of them but come on. Go to 3 minutes in this video and look at this. How unfair is it to die from this in a real match? I understand your arguments that its short range and takes a long time to reload. But shouldnt it at least need to be aiming close to them?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tunaburn

@Enigma777: nice yes everyone go there. discuss

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I really hated that fucking thing in the Beta. I canceled my preorder when I read they wouldn't be tweaking it at all pre-launch - and after watching this video I feel like I saved myself a fuckton of frustration.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tunaburn

@SteamPunkJin: it is completely horrible. there are other videos where it shows that the spread is so big it literally shoots around corners.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tunaburn

@rebgav: its sawed-off

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SteamPunkJin

@tunaburn said:

@SteamPunkJin: it is completely horrible. there are other videos where it shows that the spread is so big it literally shoots around corners.

Ha! I thought I was imaging that during the beta (or that it was just lag) but I can recall something like that happening more than once. Still in cover near a corner, suddenly dead! So much fun!

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tunaburn

@SteamPunkJin: happens still. ill be in cover waiting for a guy to come up to me... gettin ready to blindfire my shotgun..... so close.... and then he shoots forward and it kills me around the corner. happened twice last night.

dont get me wrong, the multiplayer is fun as hell when theres not 3 or 4 guys literally just running around one shotting everything with the sawed off. Even if one of them miss the other 2 will get your whole team since they can kill 3 in one shot each. Then people tell you to split up and that cant happen. Use your lancer and dont bunch up. But the sad fact is they can spawn on both sides of the map and you have to keep moving. Its not possible to just get a good spot and lancer them the whole time unless they really really suck.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By benjaebe

I haven't found them to be terribly unbalanced, or at least I'm not getting killed by them very often.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By XenoNick

I've taken a break from playing online for a while and gone to playing the RE HD games. I get the sawed off is a noob weapon but I seem to have such a hard time countering people with it at the mo.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gargantuan

I have no problem with the sawed off. It counters gnashers so stay away until the SOS user misses, not very hard.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By 234r2we232

Stay away from shotgun'rs. Pretty simple.

DuderMcBrohan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DuderMcBrohan

It's pretty easy to tell if a sawed-off from a gnasher user. A SOS user will wait in cover to either mantlekick you or verify the one shot. If someone's in cover and they're not popping out to fire their rifle, they're probably a sawed-off user. Just fucking learn what the community is doing and adapt. Why complain about a non-problem? The gnasher has 700% more ammunition, has more range, and has 16 shots compared to the SOS' four.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

It is pretty easy to roll away from it and you can bring people down pretty fast now with the lancer

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Vinny_Says

lol if an enemy is that close to you you deserve to die. Shotgun, chainsaw or otherwise

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By CenturionCajun

I don't play Versus. I will say though that the Sawed Off is amazing in the early going of Horde. Boomers, Maulers and the like will die in one blast. Delightful fun.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tunaburn

@Vinny_Says said:

lol if an enemy is that close to you you deserve to die. Shotgun, chainsaw or otherwise

this is what everyone says. look at the fucking video. you dont have to be near them. you can be on the side of them. you can be almost behind them. what youre saying is retarded. basically if they do get anywhere near me i deserve to die? obviously i cant lancer them up close so i have to switch to a shotgun and no, the gnasher does not beat the sawed off unless the sawed off user is just trash.

Eojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Eojay

Oh look, more people bitching about the sawed-off.

Learn to counter it and stop whining. Someone has a sawed-off? Keep them at a distance. Problem solved.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tunaburn

@leslij55: the point is that they should not put in an OP gun that kill speople from 5 feet to the side of where theyre aiming just to make people feel better about being bad at the game. Take it out of ranked at least. Its a non skill required insta kill for anyone that happens to walk anywhere near you unless they are just insanely horrible.

Im willing to bet they reduce the spread or at least not make it insta gib you from off the screen. Did you watch that video part? The guy isnt even anywhere on his screen and he is killing him!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By napalm

@tunaburn: It has already been stated (even before the game was released) that the sawed off shotgun's range is the entire screen. I fail to see the complaint.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By cookiemonster

@tunaburn said:

@Vinny_Says said:

this is what everyone says. look at the fucking video. you dont have to be near them. you can be on the side of them. you can be almost behind them. what youre saying is retarded. basically if they do get anywhere near me i deserve to die? obviously i cant lancer them up close so i have to switch to a shotgun and no, the gnasher does not beat the sawed off unless the sawed off user is just trash.

Yes you do? Its been said before - its only instant kill in melee range. I can understand your complaint about the slightly odd shotgun spread (the part where he pointed the gun in the air and still got a kill was weird), but its easier to keep your distance now than in past Gears games, with the improved lancer and hammerburst and the addition of stopping power. People can't shotgun charge you anymore unless they sneak up on you.

And the gnasher can beat the sawed off if you keep him away. A Gears veteran like yourself knows you've got to keep moving and rolling in a shotgun battle. Like I said, if you keep them at a distance, they are beatable.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By musubi

The spread is the whole point of the gun.....

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tunaburn

@Demoskinos: agree but it should be insta kill from an entire screen width. maybe some damage. @CookieMonster:

it doesnt only kill in melee range. in the video he is clearly meleeing and not not hitting them before he shoots. the range and spread need some reducing. which im sure they will do in a patch fairly soon.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By samfo
    @tunaburn: i've had no problems with people using the sawed off. I use a hammerburst and gnasher and im going fine, just fine.   
    cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cookiemonster

@tunaburn: I watched the video again, and yeah I understand your point. You could say he was one step away from melee range and still instant killed them. I still believe you can avoid these kind of situations though.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tunaburn

@CookieMonster: i agree the sawed off is avoidable. but its annoying when 4 of the other team is just running around trying to sawed off me. on outdoor maps its really no issue but on some of the smaller maps it can be annoying as hell! my friend that i have been playing with since gears 1 has started using the sawed off. his kill death has skyrocketed from 1.7 to 2.4 and i still cant bring myself to use it.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mijati

Some of the reason for the weird spread is that the models don't match up with where the shots are actually coming from, hence why when aiming directly up it still connected due to the shots coming out closer to her hands rather than the barrel.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Sooty

Shotgun has been retarded on Gears since the first game. Dunno why people are surprised that the same sort of stupidness is repeated with the sawn-off.

Roll shotgun roll all day. Most people are only using this game as a stop gap until BF3, Halo or MW3.

dirkfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dirkfunk

Use it to your advantage. . . everyone gets it. It's not like its some sort of unfair advantage.

I understand the spread area is ridiculous, but if they miss, they're as good as chainsawed or counter shotgunned.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By 234r2we232

@Sooty said:

Shotgun has been retarded on Gears since the first game. Dunno why people are surprised that the same sort of stupidness is repeated with the sawn-off.

Roll shotgun roll all day. Most people are only using this game as a stop gap until BF3, Halo or MW3.

What's this? People play games and then play other games? Unheard of!

You want a "stop gap", that'll be Battlefield 3 for the MW3 players. That's if anyone bothers to play that EA CoD at all :P

Slayeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Slayeric

@tunaburn said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Don't get in shotgun range is what he means. Not hard to avoid it when you see it coming.

bozosc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bozosc

the game needs more stopping power i hate when i am shooting a guy that i know has a sawed off and i still die because he just keeps walking to me, it sucks i shouldn't die if i start shooting first if he is 10 feet away

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpudBug

i don't feel as though I get killed by the sawed off more than anything else.

Just watch your back and keep moving. It's pretty hard to get that close on you without you noticing. It's even harder to take out a team that works together with it.

I think the hammerburst is too weak, that's the only change I'd make. nobody uses the hammerburst.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpudBug

@bozosc said:

the game needs more stopping power i hate when i am shooting a guy that i know has a sawed off and i still die because he just keeps walking to me, it sucks i shouldn't die if i start shooting first if he is 10 feet away

Maybe try aiming? Running away? Feinting so he shoots his shot and then you kill him during his long reload or weapon switch?

Nah, crying on the internet is easier.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Omega

I have used the sawed-off (sawn-off) shotgun quite a few times and have never killed anyone with it. I don't understand how people can be so agile with the shotgun. I guess I'll stick with the hammerburst.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SpudBug

oh mah gawd guize watch the start of this clip the gnasher is so broken you could never cause this kind of destruction with the SOS

gateht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gateht

It's the perfect counter to the Gnasher - always good to keep those guys in check.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Vexxan

Good thing I only play Horde mode.

Stupid shotguns...

davidinwrofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By davidinwrofy

There's nothing I enjoy more than taking out the gnasher-faithful with the sawed-off. Makes up for all the times I was gibbed in Gears 2! I'll admit, I was never good enough with the gnasher in gears 2 to consistently gib people - the learning curve on blind firing was just too steep - which made the game fairly frustrating at times. The sawed-off gives noobs (and, let's face it, also those of us who are fairly good at Gears but haven't been playing since 2006/8) a fair chance against those gnasher pros. It evens the playing field out to make the game more fun for more people, whilst continuing to reward technical skill, team work and tactical awareness. In time, these "elite" players will realise they can't play the game the way they played Gears 2; they'll work out ways to counter the sawed-off, or hell, perhaps they'll switch to it!

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tunaburn

the player base has already started dropping. average players online right now is 35,000 down from the 55,000 it was last week. halo reach still averages 27,000. i am trading in this game too. the sawed off ruins the game. it doesnt feel like gears of war at all.

gateht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gateht

@tunaburn said:

the player base has already started dropping. average players online right now is 35,000 down from the 55,000 it was last week. halo reach still averages 27,000. i am trading in this game too. the sawed off ruins the game. it doesnt feel like gears of war at all.

Shame. Does that mean I won't be able to gib you with my sawed-off now?

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tunaburn

@gateht: guess what? they nerfed the sawed off already. looks like the real players win at least a small battle. eat it no skill sawed off users.

davidinwrofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By davidinwrofy

@tunaburn: if you're anything like most gnasher players, I'm still gibbing you with my sawed-off 9 times out of 10, despite the nerfing Epic have given it. The sawed-off might be easier to use, but the majority of gnasher players simply aren't good enough to use their shotgun of choice: most of them cannot consistently gib with it. How often do you see two gnasher players circle-strafing round each other, trying to get that fatal gib over and over again, but failing. Usually this impasse is ended by a power weapon or a sawed-off!

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By IkariNoTekken

@rebgav said:

@tunaburn said:

@rebgav: its sawed-off

In the game?! Jesus.

We should have taken a dive during WW2, we could all be speaking German right now and this abomination would never have occurred.

To my knowledge its called a Sawed-off in the US, elsewhere its called Sawn-off.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By Evilsbane

If it's so damn good everyone complaining should use it.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By IkariNoTekken

@tunaburn said:

@SteamPunkJin: happens still. ill be in cover waiting for a guy to come up to me... gettin ready to blindfire my shotgun..... so close.... and then he shoots forward and it kills me around the corner. happened twice last night.

As they approach the corner don't blind fire or aim while in cover, instead back out of cover and position yourself away from the corner then hard aim with the Gnasher; aiming for the head.

Make sure to take note of whether they fire or not, if they fire and miss make sure to go on the offensive as your early Gnasher shot will have done damage; finish them off before they have a chance to reload/switch weapon/run away. If they don't happen to fire as they come around the corner, back away and take pop shots.

Its certainly not fool-proof and take some pretty precise timing but I've pulled it off on several occasions.

~

With that, I'm not saying there isn't a problem with the Sawed-off, I too think it has too much power and spread; we just have to deal with it and try to adapt.

LordMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LordMuffin

@leslij55 said:

Oh look, more people bitching about the sawed-off.

Learn to counter it and stop whining. Someone has a sawed-off? Keep them at a distance. Problem solved.

Well said!!!

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tunaburn

@davidinwrofy:

i would play you gnasher vs sawed off any day man. ive been playing since launch day of gears of war 1 and am pretty good with the gnasher. by the way see the special event this weekend? no sawed offs? its going to be to stay soon enough. enjoy it while you can.

by the way i win most games and do better than the sawed off users. but they should be doing much worse than they do. its not that they can win with it because after they get their free kill they are killed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.