ki11tank's Gears of War 3 (Xbox 360) review

Father Brown!

Gears of War 3 is a solid game and equally as good as any of the previous titles in the series. Now depending on how much you enjoy this game will wholly depend on how much you enjoy the Gears formula. Much of Gears 3 doesn't change the core formula at all. But if you are a fan of the Gears games this will no doubt be a must play as it offers up well oiled Gears play and quite an acceptable finish to the series.

I was skeptical going into Gears 3 regarding how well this type of game without new innovations would fair today given that Gears of War was the father of "brown" and perma cover combat. But I was relieved and I must say somewhat surprised as to how well this game works.

With so few changes to the games combat, movement and available artillery the pacing, story and level of excitement are enough to make everything we are very familiar with still feel fresh. The other thing that makes this game so good are the small things like the amount of polish. The graphics engine has been worked on throughout the game and the AI of both the enemy and your fellow Gears is fantastic. Your teammates are actually quite helpful and are quick to try and revive you whenever you go down.

Without giving spoilers on the story I will say that there are some emotional moments that will actually make you care, which is not often done in games. Gears 3 makes you want to continue to figure out what will happen next or how in the hell the Gears crew will make it out of the current situation.

Gears of War 3 is easily recommendable to any fan of the series and is hands down best of the series with the newly buffed multiplayer. I rarely give a game 5 stars but Gears 3 didn't bore me for any noticeable duration throughout the 7 to 8 hour campaign and will offer up tons of multiplayer fun if that's your thing.