What do you think of Baird?

• 134 results
#1 Posted by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

OK, so one thing that surprised me a while back during Gears 3 talk on the bombcast was how apparently they all hate Baird. In fact, there's an almost universal hate for Baird I've noticed, and I've always been confused as to why. He's overly sarcastic and kind of a twat at times, but that's part of why I think he's pretty cool. He's a loveable douchebag, or a 'magnificent bastard' even.

Now there was one part during Gears 3, when you're playing as Cole, where Baird really was just such a fucking cunt. Pretty much every line of dialogue was tinged in that icey sarcasm of his, and there was so much passive aggressiveness towards Cole during that part that I did briefly start to feel what the rest of the world has apparently been feeling since 2006. But otherwise, I've always liked Baird. I mean it's hard for me to dislike any character that's voiced by Fred Tatasciore really. And it's my appreciation for Baird that, despite Judgment looking so shamelessly like ''just another Gears game', I'm actually kind of excited for it just to play through a story with Baird and Cole leading the storm. Those two have always made for a more interesting duo than Marcus and Dom have imo, and I found it super disappointing that you don't get to play as them as much as I figured during Gears 3.

#2 Posted by Nilazz (639 posts) -

Chicks dig the Baird.

#3 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5154 posts) -

Fuck Baird.

#4 Edited by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

I don't hate Baird but he's definitely the least like-able character in the series.

Edit: I just looked up the voice actor, Fred Tatasciore, on IDMB, he's pretty impressive. He's done a lot of voices including Saren from Mass Effect.

#5 Posted by niamahai (1394 posts) -

I want to make sweet love with him.

#6 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

He's got a bad attitude that some might find annoying. I don't mind him though.

#7 Posted by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

@niamahai said:

I want to make sweet love with him.

It is pretty hard to say no to that face of his with that stubble of smug he's sporting.

#8 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Fuck Baird.

#9 Posted by supamon (1334 posts) -

I like Baird but I understand the dislike.

The cynical and sarcastic attitude Baird gives is sort of a defense mechanism he does to prevent people from getting close to him because, for those who have played Gears know, a lot of people die in the universe and it's his way of coping with it. He doesn't want to get to know someone who might get his head blown off the next day.

#10 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

I hope some fucked up shit happens to Baird in the new game so that people get off his back. His sarcastic nature is clearly a coping mechanism for the crazy stuff he has seen over the last 15 years, give him a break.

#11 Posted by BoOzak (996 posts) -

@JeanLuc said:

I don't hate Baird but he's definitely the least like-able character in the series.

I'd take Baird over Jace, Tai, or Dizzy any day. And I also felt the female cast were kind of tacked on just so they could add 4 player co-op, which is fine, but they didnt really have distinctive personalitys. Even by Gear's standard.

As for the new game i'm curious to see where they go with the story, i've always found the Gears universe interesting (not enough to justify reading the comics/books) and would like to see some of the fallout from 3. Given that it's not a prequel or something.

#12 Posted by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

@supamon said:

The cynical and sarcastic attitude Baird gives is sort of a defense mechanism he does to prevent people from getting close to him because, for those who have played Gears know, a lot of people die in the universe and it's his way of coping with it. He doesn't want to get to know someone who might get his head blown off the next day.

Does he actually admit that during one of the games? I recall someone mentioning it at one time or another... But who knows, maybe Judgment will be that game to explain why he became so difficult in the later ones.

Unless this was all already touched upon in one of the books.

#13 Posted by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

@Ramone said:

I hope some fucked up shit happens to Baird in the new game so that people get off his back. His sarcastic nature is clearly a coping mechanism for the crazy stuff he has seen over the last 15 years, give him a break.

And how he turns into such a spectacular dick during the Cole segment when he revisits his home town is clearly out of jealousy because he probably doesn't have anywhere to return to - least with such a warm welcome anywhoo. Still, the guy was such a dick that even I found him unbearable during that part.

#14 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

I'm always a bit annoyed whenever they say they hate him.

He's kinda my favorite character, and didn't get enough screen time in all three games...

#15 Posted by supamon (1334 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@supamon said:

Does he actually admit that during one of the games? I recall someone mentioning it at one time or another... But who knows, maybe Judgment will be that game to explain why he became so difficult in the later ones.

Unless this was all already touched upon in one of the books.

No way Baird would admit that sort of thing. It's not explained in any of the games, if memory serves me right the novels "Jacinto's Remnant", "Anvil Gate" and "Coalition's End" do touch on the subject. The Delta squad guys, Anya, and Bernie understand this aspect of him and make fun of him for it sometimes. Eventually Baird grows to let his guard down with the Gorsani people and even make friends with some of them.

#16 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Baird is my favorite Gear for pretty much all the reasons others hate him. Then again, I did enjoy the characters in Bulletstorm, so I guess that says a lot about me -_-

#17 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Fuck Baird.

#18 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

Baird's always been my favorite as well, pretty cool that we're getting a game focused on him and Cole. I've never really understood the hate, he's sort of a sarcastic douche but I found it endearing.

#19 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Hair goggles. Anything that reminds people of 90s character design is bad.

#20 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4882 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Ramone said:

And how he turns into such a spectacular dick during the Cole segment when he revisits his home town is clearly out of jealousy because he probably doesn't have anywhere to return to - least with such a warm welcome anywhoo. Still, the guy was such a dick that even I found him unbearable during that part.

You mean when Baird was talking shit about how bad the refugees smelled, or are you referring to his nagging at Cole over the hero worship? In either case I took it as Baird and Cole exchanging barbs in that chummy way they have. Baird's not really a giant dick (novels go into greater detail than the games), he's just incredibly sarcastic. If Baird was a true douchebag, when something happens in Gears 3 and Delta is reunited, his reaction would've been far different than the solemn expression he gives. Hell, after That Event, his character almost completely changes, and he becomes far more serious than I think anybody thought was possible.

That all said, I'm surprised Jeff hates Baird considering Jeff is just as bad as he is with his "clever" sarcasm.

#21 Posted by ShaggE (6699 posts) -

I've played all three Gears games at least twice, and I had to sit back and think to remember what Baird was like. Not sure if that's my own terrible memory, or if the characters were just that weak.

#22 Posted by Zippedbinders (1034 posts) -

During the Gametrailers interview the guy who was talking about Judgement mentioned that Baird was one of the most popular characters. Surveys and shit among the community. Baird's always been my favorite character, so I'm all for him getting his own game.

Its actually really weird seeing GB's general attitude towards Gears, I know Jeff has always liked the series, but the GB community seems very cold on it compared to the love I see it get everywhere else, not to say thats everyone, just the most common reaction.

#23 Posted by impartialgecko (1685 posts) -

I loathe him, which is why I'm stoked to see Judgement if it has a Baird focus. People Can Fly proved with Bulletstorm that even the biggest of arseholes can have a redemptive arc, so if this is their baby then that could be interesting.

#24 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

He's a dick and I love him for it.

#25 Posted by damswedon (3201 posts) -

He was there. I didn't like him, but I also didn't dislike him.

#26 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -

I've only played Gears 1, but Baird was easily my favorite character. I can understand how and why people would dislike him, though.

#27 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

I like Baird. Look at the bro assholes he has to deal with every day.

#28 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

I like Baird his some what cavalier personality

#29 Posted by GoofyGoober (933 posts) -

Besides Carmine he is my favorite character of the series, but Gears of war is so meh to me now besides the co-op.

#30 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3085 posts) -

He's the best character in Gears. Fuck Cole.

#31 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

I can't shrug hard enough at this game.

#32 Posted by Deathmachine117 (376 posts) -

Hes alright but I think its good for arguably the smallest or overshadowed character getting his own game, it might actually have character growth or he just might become more annoying and smug.

More importantly since it is a prequel Gears game there will be an older Carmine ?

#33 Posted by Milkman (17314 posts) -
@Packie said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Fuck Baird.

#34 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11393 posts) -

I hate him, but I've found that Gears isn't the same when he's not around. Same with The Cole Train. I still hate him, but that's an integral part of the experience for me.

#35 Posted by ProfessorK (829 posts) -

I actually like Baird almost as much as Cole, who is my favorite out of the 4 main dudes. His sarcasm and back and forth with Cole just seem to break up the stereotypical roughneck, hardened vibe that permeates most of the Gears games. I'm all for the adventures of Baird and Coletrain, WOO WOOOOOOOO!!!

#36 Posted by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: Oh, yeah, I know Baird's a goody deep down. He shown genuine compassion upon hearing about Dom's death. But during the part when Cole's leading the show, his sly sarcastic remarks just wouldn't stop and it genuinely looked like he had some sort of, albeit temporary, seething hatred towards Cole. It felt a little overbearing even by Baird's standards. I really should play through the campaign again anywhoo. I've completed the first two 3 times each, and I'm still missing my third playthrough of Gears 3 to complete my trilogy of the trilogy... or something.

#37 Edited by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

@Deathmachine117 said:

More importantly since it is a prequel Gears game there will be an older Carmine ?

This would be the perfect chance to introduce the fourth Carmine. I don't know how many there are in total, but there are at least four judging by Ben's last words as he dies while you're inside the giant whatever the fuck during Gears 2. I remember that he specifically said something about his other brothers, plural, so yeah, there's more of 'em out there. Again, this may be alleviated during the books, though. Haven't read 'em, but I've always been a little curious.

I wonder if they'd follow the alphabet routine and introduce Dan Carmine or whatever. Or maybe since this is a prequel, they'd actually go backwards and bring out... Zed Carmine? Or maybe they'd just skip Carmine on this one since the trend might seem a little old at this point. Plus with Carmine surviving in Gears 3, it's kinda come full circle. And of course Carmine only has tattoos for Anthony and Ben, so that also would mean that any other Carmines out there will still be alive by Gears 3, kinda destroying the whole point of a Carmine in any other Gears game as you try to guess when/if he'll die.

#38 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

Baird is the only human I use in multiplayer.

#39 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

MEH. I think nothing of him really. He was a sidekick. I didn't love him, and I didn't hate him. He could've not been there and I wouldn't have noticed.

#40 Posted by Arker101 (1472 posts) -

Whatever, Baird's alright in my book.

#41 Posted by Winternet (8053 posts) -

Fuck Baird.

#42 Posted by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

I think he's fine. I liked his smart ass comments throughout the 3 games. No one beats Cole though.

#43 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

I actually liked all of the Gears of War foursome, with Baird probably being my second favorite after the first game (probably lagging behind after the second when the actual characters became a little more fleshed out). I haven't played Gears of War 3 yet, so that can't factor into my opinion.

While I don't personally want to play any more of that type of game for awhile now, if I did, I feel like the protagonists are completely interchangeable. I'd probably be equally interested in playing as Baird from his perspective as I would be with Marcus. Those games were entirely about the cover-based shooting gameplay to me.

#44 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

He's actually always been my favorite, and his smirk in the trailer got me slightly pumped.

Pretty cool he's getting the Hero treatment, I just hope he doesn't wear out his welcome being in the limelight instead of being a supporting character.

#45 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

I don't understand how people can either love or hate the characters of GOW. You're having emotions toward what might as well be a piece of cardboard, because those "characters" aren't even characters.. they're just cutouts with generic stats.

#46 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1695 posts) -

Fuck Baird? I think? I think that's what I'm supposed to say.

#47 Edited by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

I don't understand how people can either love or hate the characters of GOW. You're having emotions toward what might as well be a piece of cardboard, because those "characters" aren't even characters.. they're just cutouts with generic stats.

Forgive me for not being as highbrow as yourself, my liege.

It's all well & good to consider them nothing but 'cutouts' during the first game, but during Gears 2 and 3, they all become much more well defined characters. Cole, Dom and Marcus in particular received some notable character development during Gears 3 in fact. They all also have some great voice actors backing them up to better give them some personality. Nobodies going to put them on a pedestal next to characters like John Marston or Andrew Ryan or whatever, but they're still characters.

#48 Posted by MEATBALL (3473 posts) -

Liked him in the original game, can't remember thinking anything in particular of him in the second game and didn't really like him in Gears 3.

#49 Posted by DillonWerner (1520 posts) -

Baird is my favorite character by far.

#50 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3924 posts) -

I always liked Baird. Yeah he was sarcastic and cantankerous but he was the only one with skills outside of "kill stuff". He pulled their asses out of the fire a few times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.