Gears of War: Exile Trademarked

• 74 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

When the Final Fantasy XIII-2 domain registration story was going around last week I dismissed it because, really, why would Square Enix announce a new spin-off when it has seventeen other Final Fantasy XIII spin-offs still coming down the pipe? I was wrong on that one, and I don’t want to make a similar mistake so soon, so that’s why I want to talk to you about Gears of War: Exile. It’s a newly discovered trademarked phrase with the US Patent and Trademark office, presumably filed by Epic or Microsoft, that may or may not be used for an upcoming Gears of War game (via Siliconera). 

Oddly, there’s a total of three trademarks for Exile out there: one for shirts, one for video game software, and one other for video game instruction manuals and hint books. And, as you'll see, some neat logo artwork has been included with the trademark.  

Unfortunately, that’s where this story ends for now. When Joystiq reached out to Epic for comment, it gave them the standard “we’ve nothing to share at this time.”  

So, could this be the game that Epic ended up not showing at the VGAs? Is this the rumored Kinect offering? Is this a prequel to the trilogy that ends with Gears of War 3? It’s doubtful that we’ll know for sure until someone makes an official announcement, but this definitely looks like it could become a real thing, especially in a world where Final Fantasy XIII-2 is possible.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

When the Final Fantasy XIII-2 domain registration story was going around last week I dismissed it because, really, why would Square Enix announce a new spin-off when it has seventeen other Final Fantasy XIII spin-offs still coming down the pipe? I was wrong on that one, and I don’t want to make a similar mistake so soon, so that’s why I want to talk to you about Gears of War: Exile. It’s a newly discovered trademarked phrase with the US Patent and Trademark office, presumably filed by Epic or Microsoft, that may or may not be used for an upcoming Gears of War game (via Siliconera). 

Oddly, there’s a total of three trademarks for Exile out there: one for shirts, one for video game software, and one other for video game instruction manuals and hint books. And, as you'll see, some neat logo artwork has been included with the trademark.  

Unfortunately, that’s where this story ends for now. When Joystiq reached out to Epic for comment, it gave them the standard “we’ve nothing to share at this time.”  

So, could this be the game that Epic ended up not showing at the VGAs? Is this the rumored Kinect offering? Is this a prequel to the trilogy that ends with Gears of War 3? It’s doubtful that we’ll know for sure until someone makes an official announcement, but this definitely looks like it could become a real thing, especially in a world where Final Fantasy XIII-2 is possible.
#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10904 posts) -

Neat.

Moderator Online
#3 Edited by Hailinel (24405 posts) -

Oh my.

DAMMIT.  So close.  Oh well.  I wonder if Gears of War 3 is in for a name change.

#4 Posted by moelarrycurly (668 posts) -

Dammit.

#5 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2025 posts) -

That's really interesting. It'd be nice to see more of the Gears' universe after 3.

#6 Posted by Shami_Sansi (27 posts) -

Facebook game. I'm calling it now.

#7 Posted by Skullomania (135 posts) -

Fuckin' webcomic.

#8 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Sure. Bring it.

#9 Posted by rosebud04 (360 posts) -

It better not be a Facebook game.

#10 Edited by Swick (222 posts) -

Calling MMO. You know... cause why the hell not?

#11 Posted by UberExplodey (939 posts) -

I hate how any sort of preliminary trademark bullshit qualifies as "news" now...but that's just me.

#12 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

I bet it's an XBLA game.

OR AN IPHONE GAME!

#13 Posted by CaptainFish (454 posts) -

It's a strategy game.

"All Units! Hey! All Units! AW C'MON!"

#14 Posted by Solh0und (1765 posts) -
@I_smell said:
" I bet it's an XBLA game.

What he said...
#15 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

Mahjong.  Get your tiles ready!
#16 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I'm guessing it's a prequel and you play Marcus up until he gets thrown in jail

#17 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

Is it too early to buy up GearsGearsGears.com?

#18 Posted by bigsmoke77 (788 posts) -

it must be a RTS....like halo wars

#19 Posted by Mowgers (379 posts) -

Hmmm. Play as a locust maybe? I know the basic locust grunts are dumb as a bag of hammers but the Theron Guard are probably smart enough to make a character out of right?

#20 Posted by HarrySound (233 posts) -

iphone and or android game....

#21 Edited by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

Perhaps it's like Gears: Case West. 
EDIT: Or Case Zero, rather. A Prequel To The Sequel.

#22 Posted by XenoNick (1401 posts) -

Cool. Always up for more Gears.

#23 Posted by Majkiboy (969 posts) -

A new Game Room release! YEAH...

#24 Posted by bucky (116 posts) -

PREQUELLLLLLL

#25 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -
@DonutFever said:
" Perhaps it's like Gears: Case West. "
Chronicling the early days of Frank West, back when he covered wars.
#26 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

Motion comic. 

Or iPhone game.

#27 Posted by afrokola (547 posts) -

AHHHHHHHH!!! Gotta love me some Gears!

#28 Posted by dr_pineapple (197 posts) -

I wonder if someone will actually get exiled.

#29 Posted by AverageGreg (120 posts) -

I'm guessing a prequel, ending with Marcus in jail at the beginning of the first Gears. 

Makes sense of the whole 'Exile' thing.

#30 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

Wait. Are people seriously considering this to be an iPhone game? Given how much money Microsoft pumps into it, I doubt they'd have it on their direct competitor's product. My money is on an arcade game or a prequel.

#31 Posted by John1912 (1858 posts) -
@CrazyGreg said:
" I'm guessing a prequel, ending with Marcus in jail at the beginning of the first Gears.  Makes sense of the whole 'Exile' thing. "
Im guessing maybe a exiled Locust, or Locust clan that you play as.
#32 Posted by peligroy2k (247 posts) -

is a facebook game!!

#33 Posted by bjorno (1413 posts) -

gear of war golf

#34 Posted by ESREVER (2682 posts) -

I'm having a hard time getting excited by anything Gears related. Gears 3 was originally the only game for my 360 I was somewhat looking forward to. But oh man, after Vanquish, I don't know if I can go back to Gears.  
Vanquish, to me, is one of the finest TPS to-date. 
As for the new trademark, it could be anything. I really wouldn't be surprised if it was a facebook game. 

#35 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Maybe its a prequel showing the outbreak of the locust and how Marcus ended up in jail.

#36 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

It's a Kinect game.

#37 Posted by TheSmashing (313 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" It's a Kinect game. "
pew pew pew
#38 Posted by Hughes (398 posts) -

Windows Phone 7 game.

#39 Posted by ma_rc_01 (363 posts) -

Would you perhaps be playing as an exiled Locust guy shooting other locust guys, that's why the logo is grey.

#40 Posted by Palaeomerus (355 posts) -

Maybe an rpg sort of thing? (Due to the Hint book?) 

#41 Posted by Oy (280 posts) -

I'm guessing its about Marcus' father during the Pendulum Wars.

#42 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

A new line of Bodybuilding suplements and steroids for hardcore Gear´s Fans

#43 Posted by ch3burashka (5040 posts) -
@RockmanBionics said:
" @DonutFever said:
" Perhaps it's like Gears: Case West. "
Chronicling the early days of Frank West, back when he covered wars. "
...and gears of said wars.
#44 Posted by advocatefish (355 posts) -

Maybe XBLA download, but then why trademark it for instruction manuals and hint books?

#45 Edited by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
@advocatefish said:

" Maybe XBLA download, but then why trademark it for instruction manuals and hint books? "

You're right! It's almost as if it's NOT going to to be a XBLA/downloadable game! 

:O
#46 Posted by FlyBikes06 (86 posts) -

this is what i think of this  

#47 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -
@Hughes said:
"Windows Phone 7 game. "

#48 Posted by MisterMouse (3549 posts) -

bets on when this will be announced?

#49 Edited by NTM (7337 posts) -

If it was the prequel to Gears of War 3 it would be off the book Jacinto's Remnant. Or if it was a prequel to the first it would be Aspho Fields. I'm sure that's not what it would be.
#50 Posted by m0nty (165 posts) -

Dead Rising Case Zero type DLC maybe?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.