Gears Of War triliogy on the PS3? Epic would love to

#1 Posted by Theworldbreaker (173 posts) -
#2 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

that would be pretty crazy i guess.  i dunno it seems more like an afterthought rather than something Epic Games would actually commit to....

#3 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

that would be crazy to hear that. you know, gears of war is an xbox 360/ microsoft exclusive. i'm sure there would be a lot of fanboys be pissed off about that. 

i think gears of war is just alright. i liked the second one more than the first one. i thought the second one had a better story just i didn't like how the horde came back. i played it a couple of times online and it felt like you had to play it a lot to be good at the time. i got gears 1 like a year or something after it came out. there weren't a lot of people playing it still. it was only the game players still playing it.

#4 Posted by gamb1t (964 posts) -

id pass.

#5 Posted by SuperSambo (2849 posts) -

Didnt MS pour a chunk of money into it? I really doubt they could, cause if they could they would have done by now.

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I'd love it just to see all of the PS3 fanboys that previously bashed it to death start loving it.(And you know that would happen.)

#7 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

I'm sure any game developer would love to make all of their games multiplatform. Exclusives help the Big Three market their systems, but the more consoles you release your game on, the more sales you can get.

#8 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I'd love it just to see all of the PS3 fanboys that previously bashed it to death start loving it.(And you know that would happen.) "
I agree but it would be the same if Uncharted or God of War went to the 360. All fanboy's operate the same.
#9 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" @CL60 said:
" I'd love it just to see all of the PS3 fanboys that previously bashed it to death start loving it.(And you know that would happen.) "
I agree but it would be the same if Uncharted or God of War went to the 360. All fanboy's operate the same. "
Yup. Terrible people!
#10 Posted by Skytylz (4025 posts) -

Just about the only thing getting in the way, but I'd be fine with it if it happened.  The more multiplatform games the better.
#11 Posted by xyzygy (9869 posts) -

MGS publishes these games right? Then wouldn't that put the Gears series in the same boat as Mass Effect 1?

#12 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" @CL60 said:
I agree but it would be the same if Uncharted or God of War went to the 360. All fanboy's operate the same. "
as someone who owns both consoles, I'd love if Uncharted came to 360 because I fucking hate playing shooters on the ps3.
#13 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:
" Didnt MS pour a chunk of money into it? I really doubt they could, cause if they could they would have done by now. "
This. It's in Epic's best interest to release the game on as many platforms as possible, so if they legally could I'm sure they would have by now.
#14 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" @CL60 said:
as someone who owns both consoles, I'd love if Uncharted came to 360 because I fucking hate playing shooters on the ps3. "
The only reason I think exclusives are great is because it creates competition between first-party developers. Also I play shooters on the PS3 all the time without a problem but I do hear a lot of 360 players complain about the controller.
#15 Posted by Cameron (595 posts) -

Even if Epic owns the IP, Microsoft would still have publishing rights to the earlier games. They could bring some Gears of War spinoff to the PS3 I'm sure, or even Gears 4, but I highly doubt they could bring any of the current games to any other console.

#16 Posted by Akeldama (4236 posts) -

I have always said the Gears series is the only thing on the 360 that I consider truly amazing and totally worth playing regardless of fanboy allegiance 

#17 Edited by Video_Game_King (35832 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" @Bucketdeth said:

" @CL60 said:
Yup. Terrible people! "
Exactly. However, to add something of value, this would screw over Microsoft. Has anybody realized that their key franchises aren't necessarily tied to them very strongly (Bungie's taking Halo with them, Epic's a third party altogether, etc.)?

Shit. I forgot about Kinect. Carry on.
#18 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

I like Epic, but I do not like Gears of War at all. I'm waiting impatiently for next gen so I can see a new IP from them.

#19 Posted by NickLott (791 posts) -

I don't see see Gears of War 1-3 coming to the PS3 at this point because while Epic owns the Gears IP, Microsoft as a publisher would retain some rights to the first three games just as they did with Mass Effect 1 to prohibit it from appearing on another platform. I think with the Gears of War 3 being the end of this arc, they'll create a new multiplatform game in the Gears Universe outside of the Marcus Fenix stuff that will involve new characters that would be a good entry point into the series.

Unless of course, Microsoft opens the checkbook.

#20 Posted by NickLott (791 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" @CL60 said:

" @Bucketdeth said:

" @CL60 said:
Yup. Terrible people! "
Exactly. However, to add something of value, this would screw over Microsoft. Has anybody realized that their key franchises aren't necessarily tied to them very strongly (Bungie's taking Halo with them, Epic's a third party altogether, etc.)?  Shit. I forgot about Kinect. Carry on. "
Bungie isn't taking Halo with them. As part of the terms of independence, Microsoft retains the Halo IP which is why they set up 343 Studios to work on future Halo games exclusively.
#21 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -

I wouldn't mind it being on the PS3 but seriously they need to change that controller lol I hate playing FPS and TPS on my ps3 -___-

#22 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -
@SuperSambo: Epic just recently got out of the deal with Microsoft. A year or something? I doubt they thought of this until now.   

This is like 3 day old news but it does sound cool. I don't get how they could do this though. Microsoft published it but Epic owns the IP.I read on GameInformer that he could put it on PS3 if he wanted to, but how's that possible if MS published it? That would be awesome but it'll take time to sell. Just like Mass Effect 2, I'm referring to the PS3 version by the way.
#23 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" @CL60 said:
Yup. Terrible people! "
Indeed.
#24 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -
@Reuben: XBox controllers are much better. I suck when I play multiplayer games on PS3, but when it comes to 360, I'm much better. I'm currently playing with a 360 designed PS3 controller. Feels much better.
#25 Posted by Miketakon (513 posts) -

Honestly I don't think Gears would do that well. Uncharted Killzone Resistance and Bulletstorm kinda fill that void.

#26 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

If you read the article it's pretty clear the reason they aren't doing so is because Microsoft is lining their pockets pretty generously. 

In other words: the reason they're not bringing it to the PS3 is MONEY

#27 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" @CL60 said:
as someone who owns both consoles, I'd love if Uncharted came to 360 because I fucking hate playing shooters on the ps3. "
The only reason I think exclusives are great is because it creates competition between first-party developers. Also I play shooters on the PS3 all the time without a problem but I do hear a lot of 360 players complain about the controller. "
i think it's just cause you don't know what you could be having. For example, plenty of people tell me that shooters with a mouse and keyboard are much better, and theory wise I agree with them, but since I've never had a cutting-edge PC or one that can play modern games I don't know about the supposed benefits of PC gaming, other than RTS. 
With the 360 controller I like it a lot better because it's larger (the "wing" part/where you're wrapping your hands is much bigger, so I feel like I get a more comfortable grip), the analog sticks are much tighter, so with whenever I use the ps3 sticks it feels squirrely as hell, the placement of the analog sticks as well is uncomfortable, although I'm sure it's more because it's what I'm comfortable with- I like the left thumb stick where it is on the 360 cause when they're together on the ps3 the grip I have to use feels uncomfortable. The sticks on the 360 also have the better grip IMO because they're concave instead of convex, so when I move the stick in one direction or another I feel like it's easier to control (although that may be the tension talking). Finally, none of the ps3 triggers feel good for shooters- I like the R1 L1 triggers more than the RB/LB on the xbox, but they're buttons, not triggers, so I don't want to use them all the time. The R2/L2 triggers are worse- I feel like you're pushing them in a weird direction, and the tension/force required to push them all the way down combined with the messed up grip required to use the analogs makes stablity of aiming really weird and uncomfortable. The sponginess is weird as well, and I think that since they're curved it's hard to fine-tune the amount of force you're using- not important for shooters but I think critical for driving/anything that requires slight motions.  

And yeah I know that was really long and probably more in-depth than it should be, but it's something that's been bothering me for awhile. The controller is one of the main reasons why I play cross-platform games on the 360 (and will on the PC when I get one, soon). Tl;dr is that the triggers suck for shooting and the awkward placement of the analog sticks combined with the too-shortness of the hand/wing grip things really put me off the controller.
#28 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

Wait, doesn't Microsoft own the publishing rights to Gears?

#29 Posted by csl316 (7979 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" MGS publishes these games right? Then wouldn't that put the Gears series in the same boat as Mass Effect 1? "
Mass Effect has EA as a publisher.  MGS had something to do with it, but the difference with Gears is that they were the sole publisher.  Or something.
#30 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

I suppose I'd try them to see how they played, if it did happen I wonder if they would include any exclusive material. That is what usually annoys people with stuff like this.

#31 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Guess I'm one of the few that doesn't get Gears of War. Yeah the first was a breakthrough for console graphics but really it was just a cover to cover shooter that got pretty boring, never even bothered finishing the second, more of the same. 

This is the only good thing that came from Gears:  

#32 Posted by xyzygy (9869 posts) -
@csl316 said:
" @xyzygy said:
" MGS publishes these games right? Then wouldn't that put the Gears series in the same boat as Mass Effect 1? "
Mass Effect has EA as a publisher.  MGS had something to do with it, but the difference with Gears is that they were the sole publisher.  Or something. "
ME1 on the 360 was published by MGS. So were Gears 1 and 2.
#33 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I wouldn't have to re-buy yet another 360 this fall for Gears 3, that would be awesome.

#34 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" @CL60 said:
The only reason I think exclusives are great is because it creates competition between first-party developers. Also I play shooters on the PS3 all the time without a problem but I do hear a lot of 360 players complain about the controller. "
i think it's just cause you don't know what you could be having. For example, plenty of people tell me that shooters with a mouse and keyboard are much better, and theory wise I agree with them, but since I've never had a cutting-edge PC or one that can play modern games I don't know about the supposed benefits of PC gaming, other than RTS. With the 360 controller I like it a lot better because it's larger (the "wing" part/where you're wrapping your hands is much bigger, so I feel like I get a more comfortable grip), the analog sticks are much tighter, so with whenever I use the ps3 sticks it feels squirrely as hell, the placement of the analog sticks as well is uncomfortable, although I'm sure it's more because it's what I'm comfortable with- I like the left thumb stick where it is on the 360 cause when they're together on the ps3 the grip I have to use feels uncomfortable. The sticks on the 360 also have the better grip IMO because they're concave instead of convex, so when I move the stick in one direction or another I feel like it's easier to control (although that may be the tension talking). Finally, none of the ps3 triggers feel good for shooters- I like the R1 L1 triggers more than the RB/LB on the xbox, but they're buttons, not triggers, so I don't want to use them all the time. The R2/L2 triggers are worse- I feel like you're pushing them in a weird direction, and the tension/force required to push them all the way down combined with the messed up grip required to use the analogs makes stablity of aiming really weird and uncomfortable. The sponginess is weird as well, and I think that since they're curved it's hard to fine-tune the amount of force you're using- not important for shooters but I think critical for driving/anything that requires slight motions.   And yeah I know that was really long and probably more in-depth than it should be, but it's something that's been bothering me for awhile. The controller is one of the main reasons why I play cross-platform games on the 360 (and will on the PC when I get one, soon). Tl;dr is that the triggers suck for shooting and the awkward placement of the analog sticks combined with the too-shortness of the hand/wing grip things really put me off the controller. "
Well the thing is I did own a 360 for about 2 years and enjoyed the controller but the system failed on me twice in a row with the third following the same fate. I sold my 360 and bought a PS3 soon after and never regret that decision.  
I never found the 360 controller uncomfortable, I think it is very well designed but I also like the PS3 controller, i can easily play any genre without a problem or my hands getting uncomfortable and I have big hands. I think overall both controllers have there faults and strengths but I have owned a PS1, PS2 and a PS3 so this controller feels like home.
#35 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

I'm surprised by how many people in this thread think that bringing Gears to the PS3 would be possible. Of course a dev is going to say they want their game on as many platforms as possible, but MGS holds the publishing rights to the Gears of War series. They put money into those games to sell their brand. Though it may be technically feasible (we don't know the specifics of the contract), there is no way Microsoft is going to let that happen.

#36 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1174 posts) -
@mazik765 said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" Didnt MS pour a chunk of money into it? I really doubt they could, cause if they could they would have done by now. "
This. It's in Epic's best interest to release the game on as many platforms as possible, so if they legally could I'm sure they would have by now. "
Mabye, but would it be in Epic's best interest to release a game that's 5 years old (or older) on the PS3 and risk shooting them in the foot for future support from MS. Sure theyd make more cash off the 1st and 2nd games since most people that are going to buy it on Xbox already have them but I doubt MS would be so quick to throw money at them for exclusive IPs in the future without some sort of major deal overhaul. Both MS and Epic sponge off each other well at the moment. Perhaps they should just leave it alone. Each console needs its big names.
#37 Posted by LiquidPrince (15834 posts) -

If this happened, I would fucking sell my 360. Mass Effect and Gears were the only reasons I bought the sytsem in the first place... Mass Effect down...

#38 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -
@CL60 said:
Guaranteed. I still maintain it is fun but not super hot, I would pass. The news wouldn't make me giddy like the ME 2 jump
#39 Posted by EndlessObsidian (473 posts) -

No need to the Gears franchise to come to PS3. It has the amazing Quantum Theory.

#40 Posted by Theworldbreaker (173 posts) -
@Ygg:
LOL good one man thats awsome/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.