Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War

Franchise »

Humanity is at war with an underground enemy known as the Locust horde, and the player must use cover and team work to survive.

Jacinto's Remnant: The Beef

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Yesterday I decided to (voluntarily) read the second Gears Of War novel, 'Jacinto's Remnant'. Now I appreciate that Gears is perhaps not the most story-driven of games and the novels, while terrible, do add insight into what the fuck is going on. I'm kind of happy with the story and character development being left to the books, as this leaves the games clear for chainsawing stuff. However, I appreciate that most people can't be fucked to read books at all, let alone shitty Gears Of War novels. So, i'm going to slap a big fuckoff

SPOILERS

sticker on this blog, as the events that take place in this book happen immediately after Gears Of War 2 finishes. I appreciate that very few of you are going to read this "book" so I might as well offer you a chance to find out some interesting info. Seeing as this is "Official" fiction it's a continuation of the game - meaning, like the previous book, it will bridge the gap between gears 2 and 3 and might provide an insight as to the setting of the next game. Here's the beef: 

No Caption Provided

Dizzy is still alive

As some of you might remember, the last time you see Dizzy Wallin is fighting Skorge on top of the grindlift truck - just before you drill into the hollow. Well, Tai might be dead but Dizzy somehow managed to escape, cropping up several times in the book, with his family.

The Stranded

In the early days of the war humankind realised they were fucked. The locust were basically taking human resources and using it against them, effectively growing stronger as the humans grew weaker. In a last ditch effort to survive, chairman Prescott used the Hammer of dawn to incinerate every major human city on Sera as a form of Asset denial. However he only gave the people there 3 days to get to Jacinto before he fired the laser (lol), meaning a lot of people didn't make it in time. The Stranded are basically the people who got fucked over when the Hammer was launched, people who weren't given enough time to get to Jacinto and now hate the COG for killing it's own citizens.

New Setting

The COG had to flee Jacinto by boat, the tiny navy taking the strain and shipping everyone to an abandoned port in the North of the continent where they set up a crappy shanty town with no electricity or water. Despite the locust being severely reduced, random groups of attackers still cropped up as raiding parties. Also the climate was colder and because everyone was living in makeshift shelter there was lots of disease and shit. So delta team gets sent out to check out an island further south which is apparently uninhabited due to a chemical spill. Turns out there is no chemical spill, only a small town of about 3000 survivors completely cut off from civilization who have never seen a locust before due to an ocean trench preventing them from tunnelling there. The remaining COG relocate to this tiny island. So... Gears 3 might be a little tropical?

No Caption Provided

Naval Combat

The locust actually feature very rarely in the book - most of the fighting seems to take place between random stranded groups and the COG. However a big chunk of the book is set emphasising the importance of the Navy and how naval combat is the future of the COG. There are several boat-oriented battles. Baird gets a submarine.

The Indies

The pendulum wars were a fight for Immulsion (Oil) between the COG and the Indies. One of the Indie states turns up at the end of the book, apparently having survived the Locust by hiding - with a small navy fleet and population. They form an alliance with the COG and help them fight off some Stranded pirates. The first Gears Novel goes into quite a lot of detail about the pendulum wars and the technology the Indies used was very different to that of the COG. So... maybe an excuse for some new Weapons and Vehicles?

Theres some info for anyone that was interested. I am, of course, stoked for any future Gears Of War games, but the simple fact that Dizzy is still alive is fucking AWESOME. That guy cracks me up... 

Anyways you probably know more about Gears Of War now than you actually wanted to (I know I sure do), but whatever.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Yesterday I decided to (voluntarily) read the second Gears Of War novel, 'Jacinto's Remnant'. Now I appreciate that Gears is perhaps not the most story-driven of games and the novels, while terrible, do add insight into what the fuck is going on. I'm kind of happy with the story and character development being left to the books, as this leaves the games clear for chainsawing stuff. However, I appreciate that most people can't be fucked to read books at all, let alone shitty Gears Of War novels. So, i'm going to slap a big fuckoff

SPOILERS

sticker on this blog, as the events that take place in this book happen immediately after Gears Of War 2 finishes. I appreciate that very few of you are going to read this "book" so I might as well offer you a chance to find out some interesting info. Seeing as this is "Official" fiction it's a continuation of the game - meaning, like the previous book, it will bridge the gap between gears 2 and 3 and might provide an insight as to the setting of the next game. Here's the beef: 

No Caption Provided

Dizzy is still alive

As some of you might remember, the last time you see Dizzy Wallin is fighting Skorge on top of the grindlift truck - just before you drill into the hollow. Well, Tai might be dead but Dizzy somehow managed to escape, cropping up several times in the book, with his family.

The Stranded

In the early days of the war humankind realised they were fucked. The locust were basically taking human resources and using it against them, effectively growing stronger as the humans grew weaker. In a last ditch effort to survive, chairman Prescott used the Hammer of dawn to incinerate every major human city on Sera as a form of Asset denial. However he only gave the people there 3 days to get to Jacinto before he fired the laser (lol), meaning a lot of people didn't make it in time. The Stranded are basically the people who got fucked over when the Hammer was launched, people who weren't given enough time to get to Jacinto and now hate the COG for killing it's own citizens.

New Setting

The COG had to flee Jacinto by boat, the tiny navy taking the strain and shipping everyone to an abandoned port in the North of the continent where they set up a crappy shanty town with no electricity or water. Despite the locust being severely reduced, random groups of attackers still cropped up as raiding parties. Also the climate was colder and because everyone was living in makeshift shelter there was lots of disease and shit. So delta team gets sent out to check out an island further south which is apparently uninhabited due to a chemical spill. Turns out there is no chemical spill, only a small town of about 3000 survivors completely cut off from civilization who have never seen a locust before due to an ocean trench preventing them from tunnelling there. The remaining COG relocate to this tiny island. So... Gears 3 might be a little tropical?

No Caption Provided

Naval Combat

The locust actually feature very rarely in the book - most of the fighting seems to take place between random stranded groups and the COG. However a big chunk of the book is set emphasising the importance of the Navy and how naval combat is the future of the COG. There are several boat-oriented battles. Baird gets a submarine.

The Indies

The pendulum wars were a fight for Immulsion (Oil) between the COG and the Indies. One of the Indie states turns up at the end of the book, apparently having survived the Locust by hiding - with a small navy fleet and population. They form an alliance with the COG and help them fight off some Stranded pirates. The first Gears Novel goes into quite a lot of detail about the pendulum wars and the technology the Indies used was very different to that of the COG. So... maybe an excuse for some new Weapons and Vehicles?

Theres some info for anyone that was interested. I am, of course, stoked for any future Gears Of War games, but the simple fact that Dizzy is still alive is fucking AWESOME. That guy cracks me up... 

Anyways you probably know more about Gears Of War now than you actually wanted to (I know I sure do), but whatever.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ZeroCast

Gears of War 5: The Unfinished Business.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

Yeah I expected him to still be alive. Games have a funny way of doing that, if a character's death doesn't happen on-screen it probably didn't happen at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.