Rumors Speak Of On-Rails Gears of War Kinect Title

• 60 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

An unnamed source speaking to Kotaku has confirmed that Epic Games is working on a Gears of War title for Kinect, as has been previously rumored. And according to that source, this hands-free Gears joint is set to be an on-rails shooting title, which would dash the need for any sort of player-controlled character movement.

Just for a bit of clarification, we’re not talking about Gears of War 3 here. In a slick statement after IGN first reported the Gears of War Kinect rumor, Epic Games’ Cliff Bleszinski confirmed that the third title in the series wouldn’t feature Kinect support, but he didn’t specifically rule out the possibility that another Gears game would be making use of the controller.

A supposed demo is rumored to be re-using assets from Gears 2. 

The fact that this rumor hasn't died by now doesn’t automatically validate these reports, of course, but the persistence seems to suggest that at least something is happening with Gears of War and Kinect (and it would certainly behoove the Kinect if some more games actually came out for it that take advantage of the device). Sadly, we’ll have to take a wait-and-see approach, as Epic or Microsoft won’t be confirming or denying anything until they're good and ready.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

An unnamed source speaking to Kotaku has confirmed that Epic Games is working on a Gears of War title for Kinect, as has been previously rumored. And according to that source, this hands-free Gears joint is set to be an on-rails shooting title, which would dash the need for any sort of player-controlled character movement.

Just for a bit of clarification, we’re not talking about Gears of War 3 here. In a slick statement after IGN first reported the Gears of War Kinect rumor, Epic Games’ Cliff Bleszinski confirmed that the third title in the series wouldn’t feature Kinect support, but he didn’t specifically rule out the possibility that another Gears game would be making use of the controller.

A supposed demo is rumored to be re-using assets from Gears 2. 

The fact that this rumor hasn't died by now doesn’t automatically validate these reports, of course, but the persistence seems to suggest that at least something is happening with Gears of War and Kinect (and it would certainly behoove the Kinect if some more games actually came out for it that take advantage of the device). Sadly, we’ll have to take a wait-and-see approach, as Epic or Microsoft won’t be confirming or denying anything until they're good and ready.
#2 Posted by TheSmashing (313 posts) -

pew pew pew

#3 Posted by Kjellm87 (1722 posts) -

Enough Rail-shooters I say

#4 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

So this will be a guided GoW experience?

#5 Posted by cwdawg1224 (281 posts) -

I've never been a fan of on-rail shooters.

#6 Posted by Novyx (479 posts) -

I withhold judgement until we see what they're doing with it, if anything.

#7 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

I'm happy with GoW3 instead, thank you.

#8 Posted by SpacePenguin (479 posts) -

Wow, I didnt see that coming.

#9 Edited by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

To get a general idea on how this is going to look like, refer to the Harry Potter kinect mode Quick Look

#10 Posted by foggel (2764 posts) -

Glad I'm not a GeoW fan.

#11 Edited by ribeye (411 posts) -

with kinect it kinda has to be on rails, how else would you move foward without a thumb stick?

#12 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -
@ribeye said:
"

with kinect it kinda has to be on rails, how else would you move foward without a thumb stick?

"
You yell at your console, duh.

But yeah this seems not so good.
#13 Posted by JTB123 (1044 posts) -

Aren't they just completely going against the point of Kinect here? 

#14 Posted by buhssuht (435 posts) -

will this also have horse meet rider, rider meet horse moment?

#15 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

Eh, does that require a Kinect? Eh...

#16 Posted by TheMartino (136 posts) -

Honestly the news of ANYTHING using Kinect is kinda good. Right after the thing came out it was "Okay so play Dance Central with this. That's all. Ever."

#17 Posted by XenoLair (46 posts) -

2 words: please. no.
Just continue making gow like before or dont do it at all

#18 Posted by regmcfly (159 posts) -

I approve of this. 

#19 Posted by diatron (11 posts) -

I hope it's a mini-game collection called "Gears Party"

#20 Posted by CosmicQueso (572 posts) -

Rail shooters can be fun, and yeah I'll say it, great games.  Dead Space Extraction, for example, is a great game.

People like all kinds of games.  If people that don't like third-person cover based shooters can instead dig Gears through an on-rails Kinect title, how is that a bad thing?

So much negativity...

#21 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

And thusly, Kinect has become a piece of garbage.

#22 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

Kinect NEEDS this, enough of the bullshit fitness/dance games already.

#23 Posted by Zeemod (303 posts) -

No, naw-aw, no!

#24 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

This sounds like a very bad idea.

#25 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Sweeet new Kinect games. More please!

#26 Posted by DystopiaX (5361 posts) -

Their attempt to get "hardcore" gamers to buy kinects. It's not working.

#27 Posted by Winternet (8055 posts) -

Meh

#28 Posted by Warchief (661 posts) -

that sounds craptacular. 

#29 Posted by SomeJerk (3393 posts) -

Rail shooters can be done right.

Kinect can be done right.

It's all up to the way they do the motion controls, and if they make it a dull Time Crisis'y hide behind cover rail shooter instead of something that's actually fun, Virtua Cop, HOTD, Extraction.

#30 Posted by Ghostiet (5328 posts) -

Um, hooray?

#31 Posted by Kjellm87 (1722 posts) -
@CosmicQueso said:
  So much negativity... "
Dude, where have you been, this is what we gamers do best,
now hear me ROAR
#32 Posted by ImBigInJapan (286 posts) -

It makes me a bit sad because I only just recently bought an Xbox, and it seems all of MS's massive publishing power is being focused on Kinect (which I have zero interest in)... while Sony is spearheading the release of all sorts of great exclusives. If I could stand using the PS3 controller my purchase would have gone in Sony's direction.

#33 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2295 posts) -

So much for freedom of movement with Kinect. Basic movement starts with the legs and yet they'd rather make an on rails shooter throwing away 50% body movement. I wonder how the player shoots in the game, does he point at the screen and yell out BANG!?

#34 Posted by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

What the fuck does " this hands-free Gears joint" mean? Wouldn't you have to... point at stuff, or somethin'? 

#35 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I doubt it will play well, but at least they are attempting to do something with the tech. 

#36 Edited by Toxin066 (3327 posts) -

Gears on Kinect?

#37 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

and on rails shooter for the kinect doesnt really interest me.

#38 Posted by ptys (1992 posts) -

EH! Create some more 1st party Microsoft. The Gears world just ain't that compelling!

#39 Posted by nERVEcenter (190 posts) -

Hmmm...nope.

#40 Posted by AuthenticM (3805 posts) -

Do not care. If onrails shooters are what M$ thinks will win the hardcore market, they are sorely mistaken.

#41 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:

" What the fuck does " this hands-free Gears joint" mean? Wouldn't you have to... point at stuff, or somethin'?  "

uuuhm hmmm
energetic pelvic thrusting
#42 Posted by Sweep (8983 posts) -

This is the most disappointing news I have heard for months, mainly because I will invariably have to find a way of playing this game despite already knowing it's going to be complete garbage. 

Remember when the Kinect got released and all the Xbox fans got upset because it was so tacky - and everyone replied so fucking patronisingly: "This isn't for you, it's not going to replace Halo. It's for a whole different audience." Well WHAT THE FUCK, you people? Who is Gears Of War for, if not me? What the fuck.

#43 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -
@Cold_Wolven said:
" So much for freedom of movement with Kinect. Basic movement starts with the legs and yet they'd rather make an on rails shooter throwing away 50% body movement. I wonder how the player shoots in the game, does he point at the screen and yell out BANG!? "
No you have to say "Pew Pew" while making a gun shaped shadow puppet...
#44 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

I still don't understand why anyone would make a rail shooter. Such wasted opportunities.

#45 Posted by Haziqonfire (227 posts) -

Maybe this'll be the first game worth getting for the device.

#46 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

I am not digging it.

#47 Posted by JohnPaulVann (209 posts) -

F*ck rail shooters

#48 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Rail shooter? What does MS think Kinect is? PS Move?

#49 Posted by ExplodingTuba (93 posts) -

I hope there is a homo-erotic mini game between Dom and Marcus where you and a co-op partner have to make inappropriate gestures in front of the Kinect. 

#50 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

I want a lancer controller peripheral.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.