When do you think we are going to see Gears 3?

#1 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
#2 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Q1 2011. Gears has had a two tear dev cycle for the past two games and I can see it being the same with this only with the announcement of Reach and the realisation that releasing a game anywhere other than Q4 isn't a bad idea, starting 2011 off with a bang seems like the right idea. That being said, a 2010 release would still make sense and give the 360 a double header of exclusives that the PS3 can't match.

#3 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
"Q1 2011. Gears has had a two tear dev cycle for the past two games and I can see it being the same with this only with the announcement of Reach and the realisation that releasing a game anywhere other than Q4 isn't a bad idea, starting 2011 off with a bang seems like the right idea. That being said, a 2010 release would still make sense and give the 360 a double header of exclusives that the PS3 can't match. "

Both arguments make good sense. Releasing it in Q4 2010 is risky next to Halo but if it pays off, Microsoft employees will be lighting cigars with money.
#4 Posted by Sweep (8793 posts) -

it will launch with natal so you can mime chainsawing dudes in the face.

#5 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I guess if it was up to Epic, it would come out this year. But the publisher is Microsoft, and they want to really push Reach hard, so I guess no Gears 3 this year... unless it comes out in August or something and then Reach would have to come out late November.

#6 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

i really can't see Epic releasing Gears 3 in Q1 of next year. Given that the past two games were released in November, I see that trend continuing and either releasing it this year or next year around the same time.

#7 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

Halo Reach is the only reason I would say 2011. 

#8 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -

Last Quarter 2011. Gears has always come out in November, and never in the same year as a major Halo game. Remember, Microsoft is the publisher, Halo is their flagship franchise, and Christmas is the most lucrative season.

#9 Posted by HatKing (5795 posts) -

I bet Jeff is right.  Gears 2 obviously didn't do as well as intended so they'll probably take the extra time to fix it up. 
#10 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I think it'll be like Gears 2.  Shown at GDC in a few weeks for the first time, released later in the year.

Cliffy B is even hyping up 'something' lately, and Gears 3 is probably it.

#11 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

If Gears 3 is released in the same year as Halo, they're really stupid.

#12 Posted by SlantedRoom (263 posts) -
@brukaoru:
agreed it will be Q4 this year or next
#13 Edited by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

I picked the Eazy E option, but I don't agree with it. 

In reality, I'm going to say this year. The reason being that they just started going on about this GoW2 Valentines day thing, which I assumed was done only as a way to encourage people to get back into the Gears mode right before announcing number 3. 

Much like they (MS) did with the Crackdown theme that went up on XBLM shortly before E3 last year
#14 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

after a SHIT 2010, i would hope MS would be smart enough to bring out all the big guns for 2010, and that would mean halo AND gears. but they'll probably stick with the "one big name a year" plan, so gears for 2011 i guess

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.