Which game do you prefer?

#1 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -
#2 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Gears 2

#3 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -

Personally i think Gears 1 was much better. Characters were slightly faster while not running, the shotgun was stronger, players set up matches so theres a lot less lag, and the end boss was kickass unlike that of Gears 2. Also the atmosphere in the original was better IMO

#4 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

Although I'm picking Gears of War 2 (in comparison to Gears 1 multiplayer, it is more cleaned up), but so far, I have had more longevity with the first Gears.

#5 Posted by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -

I'd pick Gears 2, the multiplayer is just as good as it was in the first, but Gears 2 has a better single player experience.

#6 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Gears 1 mutliplayer.

#7 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Gears 1. Why the fuck did they not remake War Machine for Gears 2? Best fucking map.

#8 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -

Gears 2 for single player but Gears 1 for multiplayer. 

#9 Posted by MKHavoc (1307 posts) -

I think Gears 2 is better.  There aren't any huge differences but little things like a brighter color palette were things that made the game better for me.  I though the story was better too.  It still wasn't great but I felt that it did a better job of explaining what was going and why you were doing things.  Also the Beserker and kryll, two enemies I hated, are gone.  The multiplayer is better because of Horde mode and all the updates that Epic have made for the game.  It's true that the game was released with broken multiplayer, but that runs fine now.  I think one of the best things they've done is replace players who've quit with bots.  By the way, for you achievement whores ou there, the game has over 1400 gamerscore.  Sure you have to buy map packs for the them, but if you buy the game new, then the free Flashback map pack means you have acess to more than a thousand.

#10 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I have to say I really enjoyed Gears 2 a lot better than 1, the first was sort of groundbreaking for the console, but the sequel was everything it should have been, taking the first game, and making it better.

#11 Posted by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

Gears 1. I did not like Gears 2 at all.

#12 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Didn't like Gears 1 one bit.  Gears 2 I love.  Comes down to me not being a big MP guy.  Love the bots and horde mode.  SP campaign was much more fulfilling.

#13 Posted by halfameatball (119 posts) -

I can't believe people prefer Gears 2. Ok, maybe if they are playing this game for the single player I understand why someone would prefer Gears 2, but multiplayer was far better on Gears 1. Better map design, more variety of maps, no exploding smoke grenades, lobbies instead of matchmaking which half the time puts you in a laggy room, no real penalization for leaving laggy room that are unplayable, custom game lobby searching, etc. Gears 1 was one of my favorite games this geration for its longlasting multiplayer, my friends and I will not go near Gears 2 because it has a lot more problems.

#14 Edited by MrGetBonus (782 posts) -

I played the hell outta Gears 1. I dunno if that burned me out on Gears 2 or what but I can't stand playing Gears 2 anymore. Its weird because its the same thing that happened with me and Halo series. I loved the first one and midnight launched the second was disappointed and didn't buy the third. Hopefully I'll come around on Gears 3. And seriously matchmaking is so fucking retarded. I don't understand why consoles games insist on doing this. Seems like more of 360 thing then PS3 but wtf...

#15 Posted by Cynical_M (383 posts) -

Gotta go with 2,but the end boss is much better in 1.....

#16 Posted by MiiZ_Riiot3rX (15 posts) -

Gears of War 1. For many reasons.

I'm a shotgun master, so obviously I prefer the original dynamics. It actually took more skill to operate. Also... I find it a lot easier to clutch a handicap in Gears 1, be it 1v2 or 1v4 compared to trying to clutch 1v2 or 1v5 in Gears 2.

#17 Posted by carlthenimrod (1594 posts) -

Gears 2. Meatshields, mortars, executions, horder mode, etc.

There is just more meat to Gears of War 2, literally.

#18 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

The fact that there is still a debate about this is all cool to me. I never played the Gears of War series and my nephew told me he would loan me his copy of Gears 1 when he's finished. "He just got an Xbox 360 last year."

#19 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Gears 1 for me. Personally, besides the campaign, Gears 2 was a big let down.

#20 Posted by Nick (670 posts) -

I really didn't enjoy Gears 1 that much so I never picked up Gears 2.

#21 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -
Babble said:
"Gears 2 for single player but Gears 1 for multiplayer. "
#22 Edited by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

I gotta say Gears of War 2 just because the sequel's more co-op driven, and I'd never play through a Gears of War campaign without a friend (mostly because I suck).

Also, there's more support in GoW2 for the multiplayer component, and we're getting mad DLC (whether or not it's worth paying $10 for 3 maps aside).

Not to mention I love games that are challenging, and GoW2 caused me to front kick my door to splinters. I have yet to play any other game that causes me housing probation. You rock, gears 2!

#23 Posted by Pie (7103 posts) -

I liked both of them equally really

#24 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

Gears 2. not broken for a start

#25 Posted by alterbridge9 (48 posts) -

Gears 2 but if Gears 1 had the features of 2 such stopping power of bullets, meatshield and chainsaw battles then Gears 1 would be better!

#26 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

I think Gears 1 has more a sense of doom about it, it was a much darker and grittier storyline in my opinion, where as I know that the Gears 2 story is alot more well written and developed... I just felt better playing the Gears 1 storyline. 

The multiplayer is alot better in Gears 2 mind, with alot more modes to choose from, an extra 2 men added to the roster, plus a couple more maps. Just wish they'd fix the chainsaw vacuum :(

Single Player: Gears 1
Multi Player: Gears 2
#27 Posted by Carlos1408 (1517 posts) -

Gears 2 by far, an improvment in almost every aspect, except for the multiplayer (but i never had an interest in that in the gears franchise)...and horde mode is a great addition. :)
I loved both but the 2nd one was much better in my opinion.

#28 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Gears 1 for me

#29 Posted by bwooduhs (1617 posts) -

Gears 2 for me. Horde mode gives it the edge over Gears 1.

#30 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

Gears 2 better campaign and I enjoy the multiplayer a bit more than Gears 1.

#31 Posted by SoFuLL (67 posts) -

Gears 2, they kept all the great aspects of Gears 1 and added some cool features!!

#32 Posted by Gamer_152 (14081 posts) -

Gears 2, it was more of the great original but generally more cleaned up.

#33 Posted by perrytheusnavysailor (18 posts) -

gears of war 1 takes it as far as I'm concerned. I mean sure it had less stuff, but the Community actually speaks...where as gears 2 community acts like they're ashamed of talking on the mic or something... but theres also a number of smaller reasons that I feel gears 1 takes the cake, including its darker atmosphere and the fact it was harder overall especially online wise

#34 Posted by smack (24 posts) -

So far they seem like the same game to me, but I'm only about 2 hours deep in two and haven't tried the multi player yet 

#35 Posted by mordukai (7153 posts) -
@lemon360 said:
" Personally i think Gears 1 was much better. Characters were slightly faster while not running, the shotgun was stronger, players set up matches so theres a lot less lag, and the end boss was kickass unlike that of Gears 2. Also the atmosphere in the original was better IMO "
Not to mention that you can drive a truck through gears 2 plot holes...not that gears had a meaningful plot to begin with...fanboys will disagree but its true. Gears of War is a good game with a very polished gameplay but I think Epic kinda missed out on having a really good story to the gears franchise. I can't really blame them, Epic Games are not really known for their story driven games. I also have problems with the sound design of that game, the same problem I have with halo 3. When you run the game through a surround sound system it seems like they lowered the volume on the center speaker which in turn makes the weapons sound very weak and muffled. It also feels like the weapons have no bass to them. The only weapon that sounds half way decent is the gatling gun. Now again the fanboys can come and say " WTF are you on, gears 2 weapons sound great..." they're not. Go and play Battlefield: Bad Company, Killzone 2, CoD4...shit even Black (a last gen game) sounded better then gears, and that game didn't even have a true surround sound. 
#36 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Gears 2, but it is close because I found Gears 1's multiplayer better. Still, the singleplayer and Horde mode make Gears 2 my favorite.

#37 Posted by natetodamax (19208 posts) -

I've spent a lot more time playing Gears 2

#38 Posted by Eric_Buck (1289 posts) -

Gears 1 has friggin waaaay better boss fights but 2 has horde. Still the boss fights in 2 were lame as shit.

#39 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

Gears 1, one thousand times over. Gears 2 makes me want to forget about the franchise.

#40 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

Gears 1, not really that is was better, just the first game of its style to work so well and opened the genre up for other games

#41 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -

I've put more time into Gears 2 than 1.

But I still love 1 as well.

#42 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Gears 2. The number of improvements (Save for the online before the first title update) makes it a better game.

#43 Posted by IceTrey87 (199 posts) -

Gears 2 for wider weapon selection, Gears 1 for a more varied and fast paced single player experience in comparison to being in underground caves for over 9000 hours in Gears 2.

#44 Posted by Herreno (333 posts) -

Gears of war 2 had much better and more varied story but Gears 1 multiplayer is far superior due to its simplicity

#45 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

i enjoyed gears 1 more because i always played with friends and people i knew...also i hate the shotgun in gears 2 and planting grenades ruined the game for me

that said gears 2 is still a better game

#46 Posted by afrokola (547 posts) -

Gears 2 was just an overall improvement. The only thing that Gears 1 still does better than Gears 2 is the multiplayer but the overall package isn't as good as 2.

#47 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -

Gears 1.  The multiplayer in Gears 2 feels like it's really broken, in a game mechanics way.  They nerfed the shotgun and powered up the lancer.  Grenade tagging the walls is dumb.  Smoke grenades shouldn't stun you, they are fucking smoke grenades.  I do like the level up system in Gears 2, that would have been nice in Gears 1.

#48 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I didn't like Gears 2 close to as much as I liked Gears 1. Gears 2 seemed to familiar and there was just something about it I didn't like.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.