Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 07, 2006

Gears of War is a tactical cover-based sci-fi shooter from Epic Games. The player controls Marcus Fenix, a COG soldier who fights the Locust aliens defending their home planet from the encroaching Human invaders.

Gears of War 1

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By smokemare

For anyone who missed this first time, I really reccomend you grab a copy and play through it.  I've not touched Gears in over a year, but I just played through again, and i have to say, I enjoyed it so much I felt I had to put pen to paper and write a review.

I'm going to have to have a few nights off gaming now unfortunately, last nights 1:30, mowing down General RAAM has pushed my long suffering wife to breaking point... It's been a fantastic experience playing through again though, you can download it now for 2400 points I think, I mean, I suppose 99% of 360 must have played it - bar the under 18's... But if you haven't - give it a go, it's a great game!

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CptChiken

Gears was, and will probably be, the only game that i consistently played online for over a month, no other game has done that, its so amazing i hope gears 3 online doesnt suck as hard as gears 2's did.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jambones

Trying to get my hands on a copy. I want to play through 1 & 2  before 3 drops. Now I have to just drum up $50 for them and I'll be set.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mylifeforAiur

It is a terrific game^^

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael

It's still one of the very best cover-based third-person shooters. Aside from Gears of War 2 and Vanquish, nothing in the genre comes close.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @mylifeforAiur said:
    " It is a terrific game^^ "
    Yup.  So good.
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By themangalist
    @Icemael said:
    " It's still one of the very best cover-based third-person shooters. Aside from Gears of War 2 and Vanquish, nothing in the genre comes close. "

Vanquish or this?
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael
    @themangalist said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " It's still one of the very best cover-based third-person shooters. Aside from Gears of War 2 and Vanquish, nothing in the genre comes close. "
    Vanquish or this? "
    What?
    rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rawrz

Ill always have a slight hatred for Gears 1 and its glitchy achievements just because I put so much time and effort into getting Seriously just for it to never give it to me even though i have like 14,000 kills.

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By smokemare

I actually got Gears 1 & 2 in a bundle with my XBOX.  The irony is my wife is very against violent games, I'm not fussed either way - I just like good ones violent or not.  Then she goes and buys me an XBOX bundle with 3 cert 18 games for Christmas!

Playing through 1 and 2 back to back was an epic experience, and a great way to start XBOX 360 ownership!  Can't wait for 3, anyone thinking of playing this - you really should!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gears 1 has that sort of Halo: CE quality about it where it ages really well. Maybe it's because we're only just coming out of the throes of the "cover-based shooter" fad in game design, but the first Gears plays tightly, regardless. 

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I love the level design of Gears of War 1 particularly. It's so finely honed that I think the 2nd diluted the brilliance a little bit with endless vehicle segments and underwhelming boss encounters. It's a superb game and my favourite shooter franchise this generation regardless, and I expect 3 will be amazing given the time they've had with it.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By lemon360

The Campaign in Gears 1 is Gears at it's best. Its especially fun playing with a friend in co-op.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By guiseppe
    @CptChiken said:
    " Gears was, and will probably be, the only game that i consistently played online for over a month, no other game has done that, its so amazing i hope gears 3 online doesnt suck as hard as gears 2's did. "
    This... Really. That game was a ton of fun online.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Raymayne
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " I think the 2nd diluted the brilliance a little bit with endless vehicle segments and underwhelming boss encounters. "
    What fucking game were you playing? 0_0
    EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By EdIsCool
    @themangalist said:
    " @Icemael said:
    Vanquish or this? "
    Vanquish is waay more fun but short as hell.
    Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Eaxis

I was so disappointed by Gears of war 2, I only managed to play that online for a week. Gears of war 1 to me felt like this generations Halo. I played Gears of war(1) online with friends for 2 years. Yes I got the seriously achievement.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Raymayne:  I wasn't saying boss fights or vehicle sections comprised the entire experience, but what was there wasn't that great, and in some cases overlong. Thanks for focusing on infelicities of expression rather than my main point, that Gears of War 1 is a better-designed and more tightly focused game.
    Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Andheez

For me, Gears is one of the best games ever.  No other game had me on my headset teaming up with strangers and yelling at people like Gears.  Annex was just sublime, an evenly matched game of Annex was the best multipler ever.  Gears 2 ruined that by forcing the action in close by focusing on executions, meat shields and allowing planting mines.  That and adding the smoke/knockdown grenade.  Grenades were strategic in Gears 1 and just spammed in Gears 2.

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By smokemare
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @Raymayne:  I wasn't saying boss fights or vehicle sections comprised the entire experience, but what was there wasn't that great, and in some cases overlong. Thanks for focusing on infelicities of expression rather than my main point, that Gears of War 1 is a better-designed and more tightly focused game. "
    I think Gears 1 was more focused personally.  As so many sequels seem to attempt, Gears 2 attempted to add variety.  Which is of course a good thing, but it can be dilute the factors which made the original great of course.  Although - having said that, if you weren't going to introduce any new gameplay elements then it should be DLC for the first one.  Really Gears 2 is great game in it's own right.  It might not have popularised cover shooters like 1 did, but it had some great moments, the battle with the Rift Worm, when you 'meet' Tye post capture and Dom's wife - the Locust City... 

I liked that you got to see more of the countryside too.  Once I've had a break and buttered my wife up into letting me stay up late night after night for several weeks I'll play through the second again.  Apples and Oranges I suppose - Gears 1 is great, possibly greater for it's influence, but Gears 2 is in no way bad, I would say it's as great as the first one - but perhaps in slightly different ways.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smokemare: I'd agree. It's the Resident Evil 4 + Resident Evil 5 discussion. 

The original had an undeniable impact, and Gears 2 felt substantially less world-shattering mostly because all of the mechanics the first game had streamlined so well became so commonplace across all of gaming. But Gears 2 was just as high-quality a product (and I'd argue it too had an immense impact on the social aspect of multiplayer, what with the advent of Horde). Neither game is "perfect," but both games are definitely important. More to the point--both games are worth playing. Worth owning, I'd argue. 
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead

For me, Gears 2 is one of the few sequels that has actually been better than the original though maybe it's because I played through that one completely in co-op unlike the first which I'd finished once before anyone else wanted to buddy up. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Jimbo

First one was solid.  Too much bullshit in Gears 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jimbo said:
    " First one was solid.  Too much bullshit in Gears 2. "
    There were more F-bombs in Gears 2. Which, I don't know, that seems like a plus to me.  

"THAT'S FIVE, MOTHERFUCKERS!"
    Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I loved the first Gears. I played the online more than perhaps any other console game.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EVO

I was like 2 years late the Gears of War party, and Uncharted had left me spoiled. When I finally did play it, the graphics were underwhelming, the characters unlikable and the game mostly forgettable. It felt slow and sluggish, and I seemed to have been issued peas instead of bullets.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " First one was solid.  Too much bullshit in Gears 2. "
    There were more F-bombs in Gears 2. Which, I don't know, that seems like a plus to me.  

"THAT'S FIVE, MOTHERFUCKERS!" "
    Yes. Just what was needed after I teared up at Dom and Maria. That stuff was unexpectedly rough.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I never cared for the original Gears much. I just don't think it's very good.

Steamboat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Steamboat

Don't mean to be a buzzkill but the game was pretty underwhelming and boring, however I quite liked the night-time level thing, nice atmosphere to it or something

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By GeekDown

I have been seriously considering playing through both Gears 1 and 2 again before number 3 comes out. 

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By smokemare
    @EVO said:
    " I was like 2 years late the Gears of War party, and Uncharted had left me spoiled. When I finally did play it, the graphics were underwhelming, the characters unlikable and the game mostly forgettable. It felt slow and sluggish, and I seemed to have been issued peas instead of bullets. "
    I know what you mean, most guns feel rather underpowered... It's not as bad if you play casual but me! Who wants to do that?! My wife would play casual - Hardcore is a 'mans' game.
    Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Edwardryu

man, I totally missed this game. I don't know why I wasn't interested before. I guess that I have prejudice on MS? now, it is wrong. this game is kick ass. even it was out 2007. it looks great on my laptop. max setting, 60fps. whatever I run. I can't just believe why I didn't pick it up before.  I just bought it from games for windows marketplace $19.99. from now on, I have more interest for shooting game along with dead space 2 which I preordered.  very excited. 

by the way, I don't understand why MS stopped making for gears of war 2 PC version. I believe that it has been sold lots of copies, made decent profit. why not? will they make PC version for gears of war 3 or not?  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.