Gears of War

Posted by yashination (11 posts) -

Gears of War was four dollars at Game Stop. Now while I don't recommend shopping at a glorified pawn shop this was quite a deal. I made it though chapter one, but my heart wasn't in it. I kind of half-assley made it though the levels. I kept telling myself it's gonna get better. You're going to find out Marcus's past and it'll be worth it. My interest peaked when I was given a gun that called down the power of the sun. I fired a laser that fired a perpendicular solar beam at the enemy, but I was disappointed to learn that it only works when the game finds it convenient. Similar to the hover-disk-thing in Enslaved. Finally when chapter one was over I found out by a prompt in the game that I would have to start ordering my troops, since I was now in charge. This reminded of Brutal Legend. How the game started as a great single player experience but became too complicated when one had to split their attention one hundred different ways. I really didn't want a repeat of that experience so shelfed the game. I may come back some day. But probably not.

#1 Posted by yashination (11 posts) -

Gears of War was four dollars at Game Stop. Now while I don't recommend shopping at a glorified pawn shop this was quite a deal. I made it though chapter one, but my heart wasn't in it. I kind of half-assley made it though the levels. I kept telling myself it's gonna get better. You're going to find out Marcus's past and it'll be worth it. My interest peaked when I was given a gun that called down the power of the sun. I fired a laser that fired a perpendicular solar beam at the enemy, but I was disappointed to learn that it only works when the game finds it convenient. Similar to the hover-disk-thing in Enslaved. Finally when chapter one was over I found out by a prompt in the game that I would have to start ordering my troops, since I was now in charge. This reminded of Brutal Legend. How the game started as a great single player experience but became too complicated when one had to split their attention one hundred different ways. I really didn't want a repeat of that experience so shelfed the game. I may come back some day. But probably not.

#2 Posted by AjayRaz (12477 posts) -

that is the best image that i have ever seen.

i borrowed it from a friend over the summer in order to prepare for Gears 3 but i never actually made it through Gears 1. i guess it would have been a better experience with a partner.

#3 Posted by yashination (11 posts) -

I might try that. Thank you for complimenting my "artwork". It makes me really glad I moved here from blogger.

#4 Posted by MB (13139 posts) -

@yashination: Can you associate your blogs to the correct forums if you're going to be copy & pasting them all here, please?

#5 Edited by yashination (11 posts) -

@MB: Umm sure what forum would be best?

#6 Posted by MB (13139 posts) -

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/editing-tools/820/tutorial-cross-posting-your-blogs-to-the-correct-forum/393943/

#7 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

@MB: Where can I find the forum rules, please?

#8 Posted by believer258 (12208 posts) -

This game is nothing like Brutal Legend, and I never actually used the squad commands. In fact, they're absent from 2 and 3 so I'd bet that no one used the squad commands.

In the meantime, I'd suggest getting a buddy to play Gears of War co-op with. Certainly I had tons of fun with the single player, but it's the co-op that I had the most fun with.

#9 Posted by yashination (11 posts) -

It probably is more fun with a friend. I actually never really gave it the time of day. I just heard the words "Squad Commands" and got scared that I might have to do extra work.

#10 Posted by believer258 (12208 posts) -

@yashination said:

It probably is more fun with a friend. I actually never really gave it the time of day. I just heard the words "Squad Commands" and got scared that I might have to do extra work.

Rest assured, my friend, that they are never necessary. They are there for you to use, but I forgot about them even being in the game. And also like I said, they were cut from the second and third games so I'm not the only one who considered them useless.

Just finish it. Trust me. You might enjoy it a lot more than you think. Except for the final boss, he's a real bitch to fight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.