Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 07, 2006

Gears of War is a tactical cover-based sci-fi shooter from Epic Games. The player controls Marcus Fenix, a COG soldier who fights the Locust aliens defending their home planet from the encroaching Human invaders.

I never played Gears 1 or Gears 2..

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

..Can I enjoy this game, (Gears of War 3) is it story heavy or is it just.

"Dude I'm big and tough and we gotta kill these guys!"

MOD - Please move this to the Gears 3 forum!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pazy

If you read an overview of the first two games then you would be fine on story but I would suggest picking up the first two (incredibly cheap) and playing the campaigns through with a friend. They are extremely fun.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By louiedog

Are you planning on getting it primarily for the campaign or mulitplayer? If the multiplayer go for it. There's a story but you'll catch up. If you want it for the campaign then I suggest you buy the Gears of War Triple Pack. It's $20 at Best Buy right now (assuming you're in the US) and includes the first two games.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

There's actually some pretty cool story between the first two games, and the campaigns are pretty short too if you play on the easy difficulties, so if you can get them on the cheap, you might enjoy them. I wouldn't consider it essential, though- you'll be just fine jumping in for Gears 3.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By EuanDewar

You can pretty much skip Gears 1. Nothing big happens. 2 sets up pretty much all the plot points that are being answered in the sequel so playing that or reading up on it would be useful.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael

The story is the least important aspect of the Gears of War series. It's there, and it's actually decent by video game standards, but you should be able to enjoy the third game just fine even without having played its predecessors.

Having said that, I still strongly recommend playing them. They are really fucking good, can be found cheap these days, and the finale is bound more enjoyable (if only by a little bit) when you've experienced everything leading up to it.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By grilledcheez

The gameplay is the good part, you'll have a great time.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Enigma777

Story of Gears 1: I got a chainsaw on my gun and I'ma shoot and stab these dudes while hiding behind chest-high walls

Story of Gears 2: It's giant worm!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Again with the silly jokes...

Gears 2 was my entry, played 1 after and had a massive good time, totally worth playing em both.
    If not for story then for gameplay, its fun as heck.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By IBurningStar

They are worth playing through. The campaigns in both games are a lot of fun, especially with a friend. The stories aren't that great and the characters aren't super memorable, but it is all fine for what it is. I mean, the characters at least have some personality and are fun to listen to at times. I suggest going out and getting them. I think I saw both games in a combo pack for 30 bucks at Walmart. So they aren't too expensive. The games aren't super story heavy and what story there is isn't very complex, so you could just read a wiki and be totally fine. Still, you'd probably get more out of the third one if you played the first two.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By canucks23

Eh, you could probably get by without playing the first 2. The story is there, and you'll probably miss out on some references and stuff, but the gameplay is what makes those games amazing, and gears 3 easily plays the best out of all of them.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Hizang

Ok so I decided to not get Gears of War 3, instead I got Gears of War and am going to beat that, followed by of course Gears 2 and then finally Gears 3.

Played some of Gears this morning, damn that game looks good!

mordi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordi

@Hizang said:

..Can I enjoy this game, (Gears of War 3) is it story heavy or is it just.

"Dude I'm big and tough and we gotta kill these guys!"

MOD - Please move this to the Gears 3 forum!

If you can enjoy a good story I suggest picking up Gears 1. It still holds up well graphically/audially, and definitely holds up in terms of gameplay. Also, if you totally hate it you'll have saved some cash.

Edit: Just read last post. Good call!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Afroman269

If you don't care for the gameplay, just read up on what happens. If you like how the games play, then play the old games.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By JJOR64

@Icemael said:

The story is the least important aspect of the Gears of War series. It's there, and it's actually decent by video game standards, but you should be able to enjoy the third game just fine even without having played its predecessors.

Having said that, I still strongly recommend playing them. They are really fucking good, can be found cheap these days, and the finale is bound more enjoyable (if only by a little bit) when you've experienced everything leading up to it.

What he said. Gears 1 and 2 have great campaigns. Tons of fun with a buddy.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By minotaka

PIcked up 1+2 as i was late to the xbox party (woo ps3) but loving the multiplayer, even if it boils down to the gnasher/sawn off...

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Vexxan

If you've never played Gears of War 1 or 2 you've better get to work! :)

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By time allen

@EuanDewar said:

You can pretty much skip Gears 1. Nothing big happens. 2 sets up pretty much all the plot points that are being answered in the sequel so playing that or reading up on it would be useful.

ignore this. gears 1 is infinitely better than 2. you'll probably want to play the first two, but if you have to skip any of them, skip 2.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By EuanDewar

@Toms115: I didn't say Gears 1 is a worse game than 2. I'm just saying nothing huge plot wise happens in Gears 1, or at least nothing worth experiencing first hand.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By kagato

@Hizang said:

Ok so I decided to not get Gears of War 3, instead I got Gears of War and am going to beat that, followed by of course Gears 2 and then finally Gears 3.

Played some of Gears this morning, damn that game looks good!

That was pretty much what i was going to suggest, its not that you have to play all of them to enjoy 3, but its definitely a fun experience, more fun if you can get a friend to play along with you on co-op. Once im done with 3 im planning on doing the full trilogy on hardcore with a friend, people can say what they like about Gears, but its a damn fun series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'll be lost unless you read a summary of the first two.

That being said, the first 2 games still have a great campaign that's 2 player co-op if you feel like playing through those. Otherwise if you read a summary on the 2 games and just jump in 3 you should be alright.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

I think one of the only times to skip one game in a series, is when you consider DMC 2. So no, you shouldn't play Gears of War 3 until you have played the other two. You can of course look the story over on a wiki, but that's missing the point; Gears of War one and two still needs to be played for the full experience.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By time allen

@EuanDewar: yeah i get that but i'm just saying gears 2's campaign is kind of shitty and gears 1's isn't, so it isn't worth skipping out on gears 1.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.