Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 07, 2006

Gears of War is a tactical cover-based sci-fi shooter from Epic Games. The player controls Marcus Fenix, a COG soldier who fights the Locust aliens defending their home planet from the encroaching Human invaders.

Six Years too late....Part 1

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Edited By Vinny_Says

I recently took it upon myself to play the original Gears of War and see why this series exploded into the phenomenon it is today. This series has always been written off as nothing more than a good 3rd person shooter with no story but the franchise has somehow ended up with 3 games, 4 books, graphic novels, DC comics and a wiki with over 1500 pages. There has to be something about the first game that caused all this. So I drove down to the video game store and bought the terribly named "Triple Pack" after being unable to find a copy of the original (It would look way nicer on my shelf that way but whatever....). I've reached the part where you drive the APC at night and decided to write down some of my thoughts about this ancient game.

The music

One of the first things that jumped out at me was the music in the game. This aspect never stood out to me in Gears 2 and 3 but here it's almost impossible to ignore. Yes it does have the usual "battle gong" or whatever the bombcast called it but the combat music is way better than anything in the sequels, or at least more memorable. The aspect that really stood out was during the quiet moments. When night falls and you're walking through an empty city the ambient music really enhances the post-apocaliptic feeling. The sequels, from what I remember, had no ambient sounds or music during their limited quiet moments.

The graphics

For a game that came out in 2006, I must admit that it doesn't look dated. It's not on the levels of Unchated or The Witcher but whatever lighting trick Epic used makes the game still totally presentable in 2012.

The Kryll

I haven't finished the game but I really want to know why the Kryll aren't around in the sequels. Getting through that city at night was really fun. It made the combat much more interesting in spots. When you can't stay in the dark for more than 5 seconds it really makes you think about where to take cover and where to retreat.

The difficulty

This is the one aspect that feels dated. This game has only 3 difficulty options. Can you believe this? Your options are "Casual", "Hardcore" and "Insane". I sat at the menu for a few minutes wondering what I should play it on. Where was the "normal" option? I was seriously wondering why my only options were easy or hard (insane is only unlocked later). Luckily the "hardcore" option provides you with plenty of challenge, and the combat puzzles really feel like...well....puzzles. Gears has always been good at this so I wasn't to surprised. Some people (Brad Shoemaker) say that the end boss is a pain in the ass but that's for later.

So those are the few of my thoughts on the original game so far. I really appreciate the set up; the military posters on the wall, the stranded, the destroyed cities, all of that really sets up a world where humans are really on the verge of loosing it all. They are still holding on to some weird military regiment but eventually you can see it all about to fall apart and turn into a true post-apocalypse. I'm too early into the game to recomend you to play it (if you're like me and somehow missed out) but so far I'm really having a blast.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Vinny_Says

I recently took it upon myself to play the original Gears of War and see why this series exploded into the phenomenon it is today. This series has always been written off as nothing more than a good 3rd person shooter with no story but the franchise has somehow ended up with 3 games, 4 books, graphic novels, DC comics and a wiki with over 1500 pages. There has to be something about the first game that caused all this. So I drove down to the video game store and bought the terribly named "Triple Pack" after being unable to find a copy of the original (It would look way nicer on my shelf that way but whatever....). I've reached the part where you drive the APC at night and decided to write down some of my thoughts about this ancient game.

The music

One of the first things that jumped out at me was the music in the game. This aspect never stood out to me in Gears 2 and 3 but here it's almost impossible to ignore. Yes it does have the usual "battle gong" or whatever the bombcast called it but the combat music is way better than anything in the sequels, or at least more memorable. The aspect that really stood out was during the quiet moments. When night falls and you're walking through an empty city the ambient music really enhances the post-apocaliptic feeling. The sequels, from what I remember, had no ambient sounds or music during their limited quiet moments.

The graphics

For a game that came out in 2006, I must admit that it doesn't look dated. It's not on the levels of Unchated or The Witcher but whatever lighting trick Epic used makes the game still totally presentable in 2012.

The Kryll

I haven't finished the game but I really want to know why the Kryll aren't around in the sequels. Getting through that city at night was really fun. It made the combat much more interesting in spots. When you can't stay in the dark for more than 5 seconds it really makes you think about where to take cover and where to retreat.

The difficulty

This is the one aspect that feels dated. This game has only 3 difficulty options. Can you believe this? Your options are "Casual", "Hardcore" and "Insane". I sat at the menu for a few minutes wondering what I should play it on. Where was the "normal" option? I was seriously wondering why my only options were easy or hard (insane is only unlocked later). Luckily the "hardcore" option provides you with plenty of challenge, and the combat puzzles really feel like...well....puzzles. Gears has always been good at this so I wasn't to surprised. Some people (Brad Shoemaker) say that the end boss is a pain in the ass but that's for later.

So those are the few of my thoughts on the original game so far. I really appreciate the set up; the military posters on the wall, the stranded, the destroyed cities, all of that really sets up a world where humans are really on the verge of loosing it all. They are still holding on to some weird military regiment but eventually you can see it all about to fall apart and turn into a true post-apocalypse. I'm too early into the game to recomend you to play it (if you're like me and somehow missed out) but so far I'm really having a blast.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SadPatrol

The multiplayer...

Edit: Didn't notice it was Part 1. Sorry

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kermoosh

yea the missions with the kryll were pretty cool, i think i remember hearing that something you do in the first game (end of the game) supposivly kills off the kryll. which is why they aren't in the sequals

oh and the apc mission at night is a real bitch on insane mode

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

I wouldn't call a game thats just over five years old "ancient". I LOVED the music in the first game it felt kinda like an old WW2 movie, but then they brought in the Transformers dude for 2 and it had really unmemorable music, the third had ace music though.

The Kryll are in the new DLC for Gears 3

I'd say people think more of the series than just another good third person shooter. The game pretty much made everyone else put a cover system into their game and the shooting, control/movement etc are all of the highest quality.

I love, love, love that game I have finished it so many times and have never gotten bored of the campaign.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

@Vinny_Says said:

I haven't finished the game but I really want to know why the Kryll aren't around in the sequels.

Well... You use a weapon at the end of the game that wipes out the Kryll.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says

@SadPatrol said:

The multiplayer...

Edit: Didn't notice it was Part 1. Sorry

People are still playing it, got into a full game of...uh....capture the circle thing. You just need to download the free DLC maps and you're good to go. I only played 1 match and went 13-3 but still came scond because I never captured anything. If you've played the other games this is just as fun.

@GunstarRed said:

I wouldn't call a game thats just over five years old "ancient". I LOVED the music in the first game it felt kinda like an old WW2 movie, but then they brought in the Transformers dude for 2 and it had really unmemorable music, the third had ace music though.

The Kryll are in the new DLC for Gears 3

I'd say people think more of the series than just another good third person shooter. The game pretty much made everyone else put a cover system into their game and the shooting, control/movement etc are all of the highest quality.

I love, love, love that game I have finished it so many times and have never gotten bored of the campaign.

I was being fecetious about the ancient thing. I played the RAAM's Shadow but the kryll were being shot out of RAAM's hand or something....maybe I'll understand when I finish the original game. And yes, the game deserves all of its praise, I was just mentionning the faults people always point out (lack of story + bruting, emotionoless thugs).

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Hosstile17

I just replayed the game a couple of months ago in co-op. It still holds up. The story elements are a little shaky and the texture pop is a little brutal. But, that is a game that people will look back on fondly in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.