Best Controller of all Time = Sega Genesis?

• 71 results
#1 Edited by redsoda (9 posts) -

The D-Pad is perfect, and the buttons are nicely textured. The size of the controller is also perfect as well as the side grips. 

3 buttons, that's all you need

#2 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

unless you're playing mortal kombat vOv

also PS2 controller is best

#3 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -

I'm going to have agree, also the 6 button version is an imporvement

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Does mouse and keyboard count? If not, then yea, the Genesis controller is pretty awesome.

#5 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11003 posts) -

Clearly a controller with no control sticks and only three face buttons is superior to everything that's come after with more buttons and control sticks and whatnot. 

Ugh. What a dumb thread! Why am I even commenting?!
#6 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I like the 360 controller, except the D-Pad of course.
#7 Posted by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -

NES. 2 Buttons, Start, Select, D Pad. I'm all on that shit.

#8 Edited by ProfessorEss (7368 posts) -

#9 Posted by AOR (70 posts) -

The Dreamcast controller would've been perfect if the joystick wasn't so short and stubby. My favorite was the Activator, though. I just loved being in TOTAL control of my games for once. 

#10 Edited by face15 (1300 posts) -

The Dualshock is the best controller design ever. 

The Dualshock 3 is the best controller ever by virtue of being a wireless Dualshock design.
#11 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -
@PeasantAbuse said:
" I like the 360 controller, except the D-Pad of course. "
x2
#12 Edited by ProfessorEss (7368 posts) -
@face15 said:

" The Dualshock is the best controller design ever. The Dualshock 3 is the best controller ever by virtue of being a wirless Dualshock design.
"

I think the 360 controller is my current favourite to date, but I will always tip my hat to the original Dualshock - it defined the standard for the modern controller.
#13 Posted by bigsmoke77 (789 posts) -

you made your post totally irreverent when you said "10/10"

#14 Posted by DeckardLee (27 posts) -

Clearly the 360 controller is the best.

#15 Posted by Th3_James (2578 posts) -

I had 2 six button versions and the og one. I preffered six button.

#16 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

That isn't even the best controller of that generation.

The SG Horns thing is really frigging uncomfortable. I hate it. And it isn't obvious what button is going to do what? Your thumb doesn't rest naturally on any opne button, so there is no clear "basic action" button.

#17 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

Oh goodness no. I thought the build quality on those Genesis controllers was questionable. Always getting gunked up. I think the 360 controller is the best controller made, sans the D-Pad. I always liked the Gamecube controller, baffling as it was.....

#18 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

The correct answer
With its round figure, smooth buttons, responsive D-pad, shoulder buttons, and out of the way but easily reachable start and select buttons, there's no other answer.
#19 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

My genesis controllers always tended to break.  The wiring would start to fray where the cord went into the controller.

Personally, I've always liked the PS1 controllers and the dualshocks, but thats just me.

#20 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

PS2 controller is best 

#21 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Dude, you break my heart. Even the SNES controller was far superior.

#22 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Onlive controller is best controller.

#23 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

360 pad without a doubt for me, I do like the PS3 controller but the analog sticks aren't as good as  the 360 pad and the triggers are terrible...

Xbox pad was just an evolution of the Dreamcast pad.

#24 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

By giving the controller a score, you're reviewing it. You're the worst fucking reviewer around.

#25 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Pretty sure the mouse keyboard and joystick are the best and everything else other than the 360 controller is complete garbage. Not that games use joysticks anymore really. But there was a time.

#26 Posted by redsoda (9 posts) -
@bigsmoke77 said:
"you made your post totally irreverent when you said "10/10" "

you're irreverent
#27 Posted by HairyMike87 (1016 posts) -

Super Nintendo has to be the best. Best D-Pad of any controller on the market now. It's pretty much the basis of any modern controller out right now. I'd say that it is the best.

#28 Posted by HoodooBrown (4 posts) -
Xbox 360 controller is my favourite controller, the analogues are placed perfectly and the triggers feel good.  N64 controller or PS2 second :P
#29 Posted by yakov456 (1908 posts) -
@ProfessorEss

Whaaaat? If you like hand cramps I guess it is.

Maybe it's because my hands aren't huge, but I really didn't care for the Genesis pad. SNES was just right for me, so comfy.
#30 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

Does every thread on GB suck now?

#31 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
@zombie2011 said:
" Does every thread on GB suck now? "
No but when you comment in them they start to. 
#32 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

360 controller. I always detested the Playstation controllers. They're too small for my hands

#33 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" Onlive controller is best controller. "
LOL.  Onlive isn't the best anything.
#34 Posted by ajamafalous (11993 posts) -

I like the 360 controller the best. Gamecube's up there too, except for that stupid Z button.

#35 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -
@SlashseveN303 said:
"
The correct answer
With its round figure, smooth buttons, responsive D-pad, shoulder buttons, and out of the way but easily reachable start and select buttons, there's no other answer. "
Absolutely. Apart from being the template for just about every other controller that came after it, it's also a fantastic piece of kit in it's own right.
#36 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

Sigh, what could have been: 

But seriously, my ideal controller would be the 360 controller with the PS2/3 controller's D-Pad and face button shapes (shorter, flat surface). 
#37 Posted by Menseguez (184 posts) -

Gamecube controller all the way for me. So comfortable.

#38 Posted by Freezer_Burn (207 posts) -

I'd actually say Classic Controller Pro. A mix between the SNES pad, the Gamecube controller, and the Dualshock. I'm quite fond of it, but too bad it wasn't the Wii's basic controller.

#39 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

N64 Controller
I liked the N64 pad. Not because it was that great, but because it looks like an alien spacecraft.
#40 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" @zombie2011 said:
" Does every thread on GB suck now? "
No but when you comment in them they start to.  "
No, but when you comment in them they start to.
#41 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
LOL.  Onlive isn't the best anything. "
Have you used it?
#42 Posted by npeterson08 (502 posts) -

When I had one, the Genesis controller always felt cheap in my hands - my tiny six-year-old hands.

#43 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
Have you used it? "
No, but I haven't contracted Cancer either and I also know that's bad too.
#44 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
Have you used it? "
No, but I haven't contracted Cancer either and I also know that's bad too. "
Lmao
#45 Edited by ptys (1955 posts) -
@Elazul said:

" @SlashseveN303 said:

"
The correct answer
With its round figure, smooth buttons, responsive D-pad, shoulder buttons, and out of the way but easily reachable start and select buttons, there's no other answer. "
Absolutely. Apart from being the template for just about every other controller that came after it, it's also a fantastic piece of kit in it's own right. "
What's up with the purple buttons? Poor bastards, LOL.

#46 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

I like the Gamecube controller.

#47 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

I used to love the Genesis controller, and rank it up there..

And if it wasn't for the awkward feel of the DC controller it would have gotten my vote. (loved the vmu idea)

But, if I had to pick one, (even though I only own PS3's) I'd hafta say the X360 controller. Being a fan of the regular xbox controller, Microsoft only made minor adjustments, but in all the right places. IMO with the D-pad not quite as good as the DS3, I think the ergonomics of that controller are superb. Makes me a little jealous, but I'm not ashamed to admit it.

#48 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

So this is the Sega Saturn controller that Sega released for Sony on the PS2, but only ever came out in Japan just to explain why the fuck there is a Sega and Playstation logo on there.

The reason they released it was because the Sega Saturn controller had the best fucking d-pad ever made.

Seriously, just look at that sexy ass raised d-pad. So wonderful.
#49 Posted by Jothel (925 posts) -
@TehFlan said:
" I like the Gamecube controller. "
same, i found it by far the most comfortable of them all
#50 Posted by Bubbly (254 posts) -

My favorite is the 360 controller. I hate the triggers, thumbstick placement, and that there are no indentations in the thumbsticks to improve grip on the dualshock. Gamecube gets an honorable mention for actually being really comfortable. If it had a left bumber, bigger right analog stick, and thumbstick indentations it would've been amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.