Just acquired a Genesis.. Must plays?

• 69 results
#1 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -

I never owned a Genesis in the 90's, but just picked one up at a yard sale. What games should I be on the hunt for? I'm down for anything classic that holds up, or really is of any historical significance. Lay it on me people.

#2 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Vector Man was pretty unique back in the day.

#3 Posted by TopSteer (646 posts) -
#4 Edited by ShaggE (6429 posts) -

Ballz 3D.

... Okay, I'm not that cruel. Gunstar Heroes and Contra: Hard Corps are two of my favorites.

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -

The core Sonic games (1, 2, 3 & Knuckles), Landstalker, Phantasy Star 2 and 4.

#6 Posted by GooieGreen (454 posts) -

Cool Spot.

I had it on the GameGear and it was a great little platformer. I believe the Bombers have said good things about it as well. Just, whatever you do, Avoid the Noid (and the Commodore 64)

#7 Posted by BooDoug187 (344 posts) -

Gain Ground, Eternal Champions, Sonic 1 and 2, Streets of Rage 2

#8 Posted by tsiro (214 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

I cannot recommend this enough! I loved Vector Man as a kid, even though I was terrible at it. I should go back and play it some time...

#9 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

If your a good person you will play all the sonic games

#10 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -
#11 Posted by GooieGreen (454 posts) -

Sorry, I forgot Shaq-Fu.

I am tempted to send you my copy so I can forget that it exists again.

#12 Posted by GreggD (4490 posts) -
#13 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

You only need Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

#14 Posted by ShaggE (6429 posts) -

Almost forgot Comix Zone and Crack Down (mostly for the music, to be honest)!

#15 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Goldenaxe, surprised no one had mentioned it already. Comix Zone was pretty cool as well.

#16 Posted by IBurningStar (2165 posts) -

Golden Axe, Cyborg Justice, Sonic 1 and 2, Gain Ground, and Toejam and Earl.

#17 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

can't back gunstar heroes and general chaos enough!

#18 Posted by bartok (2469 posts) -
#19 Posted by CJduke (788 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
This. Vectorman is fucking awesome, easily my favorite Genesis game. Also Golden Axe, and any of the Disney games (Toy Story in particular) were all really fun platformers.
#20 Posted by Rehtayne (127 posts) -

Herzog Zwei.

#21 Posted by Catarrhal (826 posts) -

Streets of Rage 2. Gunstar Heroes.

I notice several recommendations for Comix Zone. I've played it recently, and it does not hold up. To a lesser extent, neither does Golden Axe. But I seriously doubt if anyone would want to play Comix Zone for more than five minutes.

#22 Posted by redrohX (48 posts) -

The Megadrive/Genesis has a lot of good shmups which still hold up very well. Try to get Fire Shark, Thunder Force 3 and 4, Hellfire, Gynoug, Steel Empire, Truxton, Elemental Master, Zero Wing, Grind Stormer, Sagaia, Twin Hawk. Some of them might be a bit expensive, some of them aren't.

#23 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

I heard great things off Gunstar Heroes

#24 Posted by Village_Guy (2546 posts) -
#25 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -

Alien 3, Dune II, any Shinobi game, Streets of Rage games and Beyond Oasis/The Story of Thor (as its called here in europe) its a bit like Zelda but not shit.

#26 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

Ranger-X if you can find it. It is a great game with very catchy music.

#27 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
#28 Edited by iPliskin (117 posts) -

Shadowrun, Tiny Toons, Phantasy Star II, III and IV, Landstalker, Beyond Oasis, Warsong, Contra: Hard Cops, Sonic 3D, Streets of Rage 3, Rocket Knights Adventures, Gunstar Heroes, Earthworm Jim, Flashback, ToeJam & Earl, Ecco the Dolphin, Lost Vikings, Rock & Roll Racing, Castlevania: Bloodlines, TMNT: TT, TMNT: HH, Altered Beast, Ghouls & Ghosts, Revenge of Shinobi, Space Harrier II, Golden Axe, Mortal Kombat games -uncensored, unlike the SNES games-, Afterburner, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, Strider, Ghostbusters, The Lion King, OutRun, Road Rash, Splatterhouse, Zombies ate my Neighbors, Street Fighter 2, Puyo Puyo, Sonic Spinball, Samurai Showdown, Lunar, Doom Troopers, Mega Bomberman, AAAHH! Real Monsters, Pirates! Gold...

#29 Posted by Morien (160 posts) -

I enjoyed playing Road Rash back in the day on the Genesis. Late at night, after having too much sugar, I would load up the Hawaii map and find the highest hill that had a sign on it, drive straight into it, then watch and laugh while my guy flailed his arms in the air before landing. Simple pleasures. An actual game to play for fun? I enjoyed Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

#30 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

I'll give another vote for Vectorman, Sonic 2 and Sonic & Knuckles.

#31 Posted by AndrewB (7593 posts) -
#32 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Dynamite Headdy is, straight up, the best platformer ever made.

Streets of Rage 2 is the best game ever made, period.

Oh and whatever you do, do NOT play Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles separately. They're intended to be one game and should only be played as such.

#33 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic and Knuckles, The Lost Vikings, Mickey Mania (always thought the art style was so unique).

#34 Posted by Icemael (6317 posts) -

Contra: Hard Corps.

#35 Posted by Marcsman (3183 posts) -

Mutant League Football, Any Tecmo Bowl you can find.

#36 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Gunstar Heroes.

#37 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

The core Sonic games (1, 2, 3 & Knuckles), Landstalker, Phantasy Star 2 and 4.

This and Shining Force, Rocket Knight Adventures, Granada, that Batman/Robin game, Ranger X, Pulseman, and a billion other obscure games that I'm sure nobody listed in this thread.

#38 Posted by AlisterCat (5538 posts) -

I think Dynamite Heady is great.

#39 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Castlevania: Bloodlines, in addition to most o the others already mentioned.

#40 Edited by handlas (2676 posts) -

Toejam and Earl maybe?

Been so long I can't even remember what's good. But that popped into my head.

Also Earthworm Jim and I have fond memories of Mortal Kombat 2.

#41 Posted by Rihanna (85 posts) -

Road Rash

#42 Posted by AndrewB (7593 posts) -

@cstrang said:

Castlevania: Bloodlines, in addition to most o the others already mentioned.

That game was preeeeety good for a Castlevania game, and it had one of the best soundtracks, to boot!

#43 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -

James Pond
Technocop
Shaq Fu

#44 Posted by DriveupLife (913 posts) -

The Lion King on genesis is one of the best movie games ever made. Play it!

#45 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -
@mandude

You only need Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

I love this answer.
#46 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (346 posts) -

I'd say get Ecco The Dolphin. I only recommend it because it was one of my first Genesis/Megadrive games and when that black hole appears in the sky out of nowhere I freaked out, turned the game off and didn't go to the beach for months. Man when I was, like, 5 years old that shit was terrifying. Good stuff.

Honestly, it's not an amazing game, nor does it hold up as well as say Sonic The Hedgehog 2 or, if you ask me, Vectorman, but it's worth seeing though at least once.

#47 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

Gunstar Heroes

#48 Edited by AlwaysBeClothing (1462 posts) -
#49 Edited by CornBREDX (5127 posts) -
Kid Chameleon 
I'm still, to this day, trying to pass it on my genesis. The emulator is easy because of save states, but that's not as fun.  
Awesome game though. 

Chakan was great but really hard. Fatal Fury has awesome music. Vectorman (i saw someone mention it but ya I agree) 
Alot of the classics have been rereleased on XBLA but ya its not really the same as the real deal. 
Anyway, ya have fun. Genesis is great. 

Edit: OH and Earthworm Jim
#50 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -

NBA Jam

Sonic 1

NHL '93

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.