What are some good Genesis soundtracks?

#1 Posted by Bane122 (789 posts) -

I'm pretty heavily into game music but recently came up short when trying to think of Genesis games with good music. In fact, outside of the Sonic series, the only two I came up with was Moonwalker and Alladin. Altered Beast was okay but I'm not sure if nostalgia drives that one some.

I can come up with a ton of great nes and snes tracks but this one's stumping me. Doesn't help that I think the Genesis' sound is pretty terrible.

So, anyone have some suggestions I should seek out?

#2 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

Streets of Rage 2....

#3 Posted by ShaggE (6456 posts) -

Crack Down.

#4 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -
#5 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

I enjoyed he revenge of shinobi and shinobi 3 soundtrack.

#6 Posted by Bane122 (789 posts) -

@Sayishere said:

shinobi 3

Oohh, I'd forgotten about that one. That was pretty good.

I'll check out those others.

#7 Posted by ZagZagovich (764 posts) -

Contra Hard Corps. Best contra game and one of the best 16bit soundtracks. Also check out Comix Zone, it's very grungy but sounds really cool with that sound chip.

#8 Posted by GunstarRed (5190 posts) -

Streets of Rage 2.

#9 Posted by flashx_454 (48 posts) -

I would Have to say Mega Turrican had some awesome music but that might be because I owned it Here is a playlist someone did of the game soundtrack

Also here is one of the best tracks from it

#10 Edited by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -
#11 Edited by BBAlpert (1476 posts) -

Ecco 1 and 2 have pretty great music.

Edit: I don't really know much about the differences between sound chips and synthesizers and all that for various consoles, but I'm pretty sure the Ecco 2 song Tube of Medusa is about as pure an example of Genesis-ass Genesis music as you can find. I just adore that shitty sounding drums.

#12 Posted by Pilgrimm1981 (46 posts) -

M.U.S.H.A

Elemental Master

Biohazard Battle

Just a couple. Genesis has a lot of great music I think but tastes differ.

#13 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

I love games that embraced how limited the soundchip was and went for a totally unique sound with it. Case in point: Road Rash

Highest fidelity? Largest dynamic range? Nah. But in 1992 it sounded so different from anything my SNES was putting out. Not better, just...unique.

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Dynamite Headdy, bitches.

#15 Posted by bobafettjm (1491 posts) -
#16 Posted by huntad (1940 posts) -

Streets of Rage 2 all the way. I know a song is already in there, but this song has to be heard all of the time.

#17 Posted by Bane122 (789 posts) -

Hot damn, I'd hoped making this thread would spark some ideas for me. I'd also forgotten how good the soundtracks for Strider and Batman '89 were.

Especially these from Batman:

#18 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

Phantasy Star 4 had a great soundtrack.

#19 Posted by Maajin (1065 posts) -

Sega CD counts, right?

#20 Posted by HairyMike87 (1016 posts) -

Street Fighter II has some good themes.

#21 Edited by KaneRobot (1615 posts) -

The Genesis sound is not "pretty terrible," it's fucking awesome. And when it comes to Genesis stuff, Thunder Force III is pretty untouchable. Thunder Force IV was really good as well.

On a related note, here's a pretty incredible cover version of a medley of TF3 songs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAzDqKlOaGU

#22 Posted by two_socks (230 posts) -

Revenge of Shinobi was DOPE.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.