Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 30, 2008

With several new modes and updated visuals, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 proves to be a worthy successor to the Xbox Live Arcade smash hit, Geometry Wars.

Geometry Wars 2 - Anyone got it?

gunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gunslinger

I picked it up earlier tonight, and I think it's hella fun.

I never got into the first one, for whatever reason, but this one was a lot of fun to me. Especially the different game modes, even thought it took me about a half hour to unlock them all.

I think the Leaderboards thing that shows up straight away when you go into the game for each gametype could mean that I'll be spending half my time on it, trying to beat the other ONE person who's got it on my friends list... Which is one downside to the game. If your friends don't have it, then you're missing out on a good bit of the game's opportunities.
      It means that you won't be able to play co-op (which yes, I know is local only, but considering how m-m-m-mental it got at some points, I'm not suprised) and that you won't have that competition aspect, where you're all trying to be the top dog on your friends list.

Either way, to me, it was worth my 800 points. What about you guys? Got any good experiences from it?

Exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Exile

Yeh definatly the best XBLA purchase I have made love that game so much. The only downfall, like you pointed out, is that there is not online multiplayer. But then again you could see that it would probably create a lot of lag issues and lag is something you can't have when playing a game like Geometry Wars. Anyways definatly an improvement, so much more to do with all the gameplay modes so your not just limited to the basic Evolved mode. I can see me play this a lot for the next couple of weeks and it's definatly something you can easily jump into whenever you are bored of any of your other games.

Patrick3P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Patrick3P
    Oh hell yeah, I picked it up.  It's worth every penny.   The game is a lot of fun and is quite addictive.  I really like how they've incorporated friends lists scores in the start menu.  It really makes me want to play again to try and beat a friends score.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ArchScabby

It's way better than the first one.  I would have sex with it if I could

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By whackmypinata
    ArchScabby said:
    "It's way better than the first one.  I would have sex with it if I could"
    I don't think it is.
    I think the graphics are much better on the first one and I like simple gameplay of the first one as well.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

you're one of the few then, everyone I know, even the hardcore original geometry wars guys seem to like the 2nd better overall. Sure they aren't gonna change much,but it still does look better, way more colors..which make it really fucking trippy yet awesome. It's definitely the best valued 800 points I ever spent.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kmdrkul
    Gunslinger said:
    "  I picked it up earlier tonight, and I think it's hella fun.

I never got into the first one, for whatever reason, but this one was a lot of fun to me. Especially the different game modes, even thought it took me about a half hour to unlock them all.

I think the Leaderboards thing that shows up straight away when you go into the game for each gametype could mean that I'll be spending half my time on it, trying to beat the other ONE person who's got it on my friends list... Which is one downside to the game. If your friends don't have it, then you're missing out on a good bit of the game's opportunities.
      It means that you won't be able to play co-op (which yes, I know is local only, but considering how m-m-m-mental it got at some points, I'm not suprised) and that you won't have that competition aspect, where you're all trying to be the top dog on your friends list.

Either way, to me, it was worth my 800 points. What about you guys? Got any good experiences from it?"
    Hell yes.  None of my friends play it though :(
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By whackmypinata
    pause422 said:
    "you're one of the few then, everyone I know, even the hardcore original geometry wars guys seem to like the 2nd better overall. Sure they aren't gonna change much,but it still does look better, way more colors..which make it really fucking trippy yet awesome. It's definitely the best valued 800 points I ever spent."
    I think the graphics of the second look just like the retro version that was on PGR2 or 3; whichever it was with. I know graphics don't make gameplay (look at nintendo) but they just seem too boring for me to get into. However, I did play it at a friend's house, and the multiplayer is a blast.
    BeeDizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BeeDizz

I didn't like the first one that much. They were fun in the PGR series to goof around on. But i didn't like it enough that i would buy it as a stand alone game. I guess i'm just burned out from all the late night Robotron marathons in the arcade when i was a kid?

gunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gunslinger
    kmdrkul said:
    " Hell yes.  None of my friends play it though :("
       You should add some of the guys on the forum. Although, you might not want me, I spent about 3 hours playing it earlier, and I ended up getting about a 3.9 million point score on the 3-minute-long mode.
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Yeah it's pretty fun. Too bad that my friends' high score's are so ridiculously high that I'll never bee able to beat them.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I bought it today, along with Braid.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Bennyishere

I need to buy it soon. I just have to pick up some points.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By lord_canti

will it come to more consoles like the last one  coz i want to play it  but don have a xbox i want one but i have a lack of funds lol

BeeDizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BeeDizz
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "I bought it today, along with Braid."

I've heard nothing but good thimgs about Braid. What's your take on it?
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By RHCPfan24

I love it and it is my favorite XBLA game yet; that is a big compliment from me.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

None but one of my friends own it, and the one person that does sucks at it so I'm permenantely suck on the top of the leaderboards... I need a challenge

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By TheGTAvaccine
    BeeDizz said:
    "TheGTAvaccine said:
    "I bought it today, along with Braid."

I've heard nothing but good thimgs about Braid. What's your take on it?"
    It's sick. Totally worth the money.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've got it and I love it. It took the original retro evolved and completely remade it, it feels just like discovering Geometry Wars all over again.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Shawn

Got it? I'm on it.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

I got it but suck at it but it is real fun to play with strobe light for limited amount of time

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Riddler

its one of the fastest selling acrade games ever.....what do you mean "anyone got it?" EVERYONES got it

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ArchScabby
    Riddler said:
    "its one of the fastest selling acrade games ever.....what do you mean "anyone got it?" EVERYONES got it"

I wouldn't say that.  there's only four people beside me on my friend list who have it.
    Avatar image for superintendentchalmers
    SuperIntendentChalmers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geometry wars Retro Evolved 2 is awesome. I personally like the King Mode the best, especially multiplayer. In King Mode Co-op you it's cool to protect your teammates that are collect the geoms, but in Competative, it's great to start the countdown on all the circles forcing your opponents to constantly move.

When you do get 4 people in one room playing the game it gets fun and crazy really quick.

Stop Playing With Yourself is a video game review show focusing on what games are fun or not so to play together. It'll also inform on what titles male gamers can get their female friends interested in. This is our review for Boom Blox
    Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Riddler
    ArchScabby said:
    "Riddler said:
    "its one of the fastest selling acrade games ever.....what do you mean "anyone got it?" EVERYONES got it"

I wouldn't say that.  there's only four people beside me on my friend list who have it."
    find better friends
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

YOu havent played it til you play it with a strobe light truly epic

gunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gunslinger

Has anyone tried getting the Treaty achievemt?

That sh*t is crazy. The blue diamonds get faster as you get closer to the 30th gate...

And Rebound. I've never goten more than 20 rebound kills... And in 3 minutes! You'd need to get an average of about 1rebound kill every 2 or so seconds. Cah-razyyyy.

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Subway
    Gunslinger said:
    "  Has anyone tried getting the Treaty achievemt?

That sh*t is crazy. The blue diamonds get faster as you get closer to the 30th gate...

And Rebound. I've never goten more than 20 rebound kills... And in 3 minutes! You'd need to get an average of about 1rebound kill every 2 or so seconds. Cah-razyyyy."
    Yeah I have both, rebound seems really hard, but you'll rack up the kills in the last 30 seconds or so, just keep trying. Treaty is a total bitch though, took me probably an hour to do it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.