davidsnakes's Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 (Xbox 360 Games Store) review

Technically a great game; but far too frustrating

Mechanically, Geometry Wars 2 is a great game.  Sharp controls, colorful polished graphics, clean interface.  At first, GW2 is a lot of fun to play.  There's one problem, though, and it ruins the entire game for me.  Playing Geometry Wars 2 is, more often than not, frustrating as hell.  When the difficulty ramps up, you will die many times over.  Over the course of trying to top my friend's high scores, or beating Sequence, I became absolutely crazy frustrated.  I don't have a particularly bad temper, and I'm halfway decent at this game judging from my leaderboard positions, but I nearly smashed my controller after having enemies warp on top of me for the 100th time.  That's the deal breaker for me: Geo Wars 2 is work, not fun.  I already have plenty to get stresed out over when I'm not playing a game.  I think Yahtzee of ZP fame says it best, "Remember that?  Fun?  What we used to have before gaming became a 2nd job?"