Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Geometry Wars

Franchise »

While weaving through mesmerizing waves of brightly colored attacks, players move their ship and aim their fire independently to rack up high scores, in a modern incarnation of arcade shooter game play.

New Geometry Wars release? Play Grid Wars 2

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By kewlsnake

Unlike Geometry Wars which eventually plateaus in difficulty facilitating high scores in the range of hundreds of millions of points, GridWars 2 has an exponentially increasing difficulty curve. Eventually, the enemy spawn sites become so large that they nearly envelop the entire grid.

Grid Wars 2 Wikipedia page

Grid Wars 2 was a freeware clone of Geometry Wars that was so great, the creators of Geometry Wars asked to pull it down because it was hurting their sales.

In the wake of the announcement of Geometry Wars: Dimensions, I decided to post some great Grid Wars 2 mods that you never know existed.

These were all posted in one form or the other on a forum called YakYak. The last post in that thread, was made by me where I posted some links to fixed up mods and builds of the game (which are dead now). I thought it was a good time to repost them.

Disclaimer: I didn't make the game nor did I create any of the mods. Consider me as the guy who fixes shit long after anyone stopped caring.

Grid Wars 2 v5.4

No Caption Provided

This is the last officially released version of Grid Wars 2. It's pretty hard to find so I provided a download link.

Grid Wars 2 v4.1 (with Graphics Mod)

No Caption Provided

This is the version you'll be likely to find if you google Grid Wars. It can be found here. It makes the game look beautiful, unfortunately the version of the game is a bit outdated.

Grid Wars 2 v5.4 (with Graphics Mod)

No Caption Provided

This is a version I cobbled together. It's the latest version of the game, combined with the graphics mod posted previously. There are also some minor bug fixes. This is the version I'd recommend playing.

Download

Asteroid Wars

No Caption Provided

Very cool Asteroid inspired Grid Wars mod (created by DD on YakYak).

Download

Star Trek Mod

No Caption Provided

It has some great sound bits and images from Star Trek (created by KlaxonCow on YakYak).

Download

Star Wars Mod

No Caption Provided

Star Wars mod (created by The LaMonster on YakYak).

Download

Special Blend

No Caption Provided

This is something I created for myself. It's pretty much a mix of previous mods. Here's the description I posted a couple of years ago on YakYak:

This is a mash up of different builds and mods and thus is a highly personalised version. It's as far from the "Classic" grid wars as you can get.

- Built on version 5.4

- Graphics from Taumel's build 4.1

- Star Trek mod from KlaxonCow (with the glowing bits)

- Colour scheme from Star Wars mod by The Lamonster (meaning just the trail, but still awesome)

- Replaced the Red Clones from 5.4 with the ones from 4.1 because I found those from 5.4 too fast/too responsive

- I replaced the dark green bouncy bullets from the Star Trek/Star Wars mod with the original bright bouncy green bullets. (required some editing of the source code)

This all together makes for a pretty trippy experience.

Download

Grid Wars 2 Rebalanced

I started a project to rebalance the scoring system and do some quality of life tweaks. Hope you'll enjoy!

Changes Overview (more info in PDF in zipfile)

- Black Holes gain 100 points in value for every enemy absorbed

- Bombs don’t remove score multiplier anymore

- Lower score multiplier requirements

- Faster Get Ready and Gameover screens

- New sounds

Download

Credits

I'm going to repeated the same words I posted a couple of years ago on the YakYak forums, I still mean them today.

Words can't describe how awesome the people are who worked at this. Taumel's work on the graphics department made Mark Incitti's game look THAT much better. The Star Trek mod added those tiny soundbits of Star Trek characters which are surprisingly really enjoyable. Together with the changes made on the enemies/player ship you get a real nice atmosphere. Also I don't know if the creator of the Star Wars mod knew this but just simply changing the sprite for the player shot from yellow to red was a stroke of genius. It made you able to make the normal bullets a nicely multicoloured mix of red and yellow and when you then get the super shot, your bullets turn into a very nice intense darkish red.

Thank you, Mark Incitti for creating Grid Wars.

Thank you, Stephen Cakebread for creating Geometry Wars.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.