Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Jun 16, 2009

With a script edited and approved by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, Ghostbusters: The Video Game is a sequel to the feature length films. Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!

Hands-On: Ghostbusters

• 93 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

Let me throw out a few names here. Walter Peck. Tobin's Spirit Guide. Gozer the Gozarian. Are you with me so far? No? We can't continue this friendship, sorry.

All the traps and proton packs you want are in here.
    I'm talking of course about Ghostbusters. Not the films--although I sleep better at night now that both of them have reappeared on my 360's Netflix queue--but the game, which Atari picked up for publishing not long ago from Vivendi. They brought Ghostbusters: The Video Game here to town recently, and I finally got to get my hands on it after merely glimpsing it here and there these last few months.

Nevermind the proton packs and PKE meters. Mechanically, Ghostbusters uses a pretty standard third-person shooter format, with you controlling a new everyman-style fifth Ghostbuster alongside the original four (all vigorously voiced by the original actors, of course). Your pack acts as an all-in-one weapon with multiple firing modes that mostly mirror standard shooter weapon types. There are a few interesting ones as well, like a tripwire you can attach to two points. The game is largely without HUD; you can see selected weapon and energy level via colored lights on the backpack itself.

I played a longer segment of the New York Public Library level that's been shown at past events, the same library from the beginning of the first movie. Early on you're making your way through the ground floor, fighting off minor apparitions and monsters made out of animated piles of books. You don't have to trap the most basic enemies, like the book monsters; a good zap from the proton pack will take care of them.

Traps come into play when you're faced with more monstrous ghouls. You need to focus your beam on a major ghost for a long period of time to snare it, then flick the analog stick in directions indicated by on-screen arrows to get it in a trappable state. A good slam to the floor and you can slide the trap out to seal that sucker up.

Book monsters!
    Book monsters!
    The toughest ghosts--bosses, mainly--require a more complicated process. As you delve deeper into the library you uncover the secret lair of a crazed cultist who once resided underneath the structure. This is the guy who murdered the ghostly librarian from the first movie. You end up fighting her as the boss of this level in front of a big occult-looking ceremonial altar. She makes a shield for herself by spinning some pieces of furniture around her, so you have to take those down individually before you can weaken her and ultimately throw out the ol' ghost trap.

After you take out the librarian, you grab an occult manual called the Gozerian Codex, and then the book turns the library into a twisted nightmare version of itself that you then have to fight your way through to get back into the city itself. The demo cut off there, but this bizarro-world interpretation of the library seems like it could provide some interesting level-design opportunities.

So the shooter gameplay is largely familiar here. It's all the PKE readers, spectral goggles, and other weirdo gadgets--and more importantly, the authentic, so-familiar-you-have-to-grin sort of banter between Ray, Peter, Winston, and Egon in-game--that makes this experience feel like Ghostbusters. The dialogue was all written by Dan Aykroyd and friends, the same guys who wrote the films, and it's all totally in character and pretty funny. Ray is just as excitable and Egon as deadpan as ever, and the characters hurriedly spout tons of complicated-sounding spectral gobbledygook that you'll pick up on instantly if you're a fan of the movies. Some other neat elements are in there; you can access Tobin's Guide in the pause menu to check out info on various ghosts and phenomena, for instance. That's a nice touch.

Plenty of familiar faces here.
    It's rife with Ghostbusters gadgets, as well. You can pull out your PKE and go into a first-person mode to scan an area for traces of the paranormal; it acts as a go-this-way pointer when it lights up. You can put your goggles on to look for other clues, like a series of ghostly handprints on a wall that led me in the right direction. A lot of Ghostbusters' appeal was the crazy technology, so I'm glad to see those things represented properly in the game.

The level design, story, and voiceovers are virtually the same in the Wii version, but the art is totally different from the realistically styled visuals. It's way more cartoon-like, which is appropriate for lower fidelity on the Wii, and it also reminded me in a good way of the old Real Ghostbusters Saturday-morning cartoon. I guess I'm showing my age here. The exaggerated art style on the Wii seemed a little more appropriate to the setting and irreverent banter, actually. It's also got motion controls in all the places you'd expect them.

The Wii game looked like it could ship tomorrow, but Ghostbusters was showing some rough edges on the Xbox 360, mainly in the frame rate and general polish. To be fair, there's a lot going on in most combat scenarios to tax the hardware; large parts of the levels can be damaged or destroyed with physics modeling. You can bust up furniture and and blow every book off the shelves in the library level, for instance. The game isn't out till June 2009, so there's plenty of time for Terminal Reality to shine it up for release by then.

Here's a new trailer Atari put out that shows off a lot of scenes and some of the voiceovers in the game.

UPDATE, TWO MONTHS LATE: Every shameful instance of "EKG" in this story has been replaced with the proper "PKE." Thanks to everyone who caught that lousy error. Ghostbusters deserves better.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

Let me throw out a few names here. Walter Peck. Tobin's Spirit Guide. Gozer the Gozarian. Are you with me so far? No? We can't continue this friendship, sorry.

I'm talking of course about Ghostbusters. Not the films--although I sleep better at night now that both of them have reappeared on my 360's Netflix queue--but the game, which Atari picked up for publishing not long ago from Vivendi. They brought Ghostbusters: The Video Game here to town recently, and I finally got to get my hands on it after merely glimpsing it here and there these last few months.

Nevermind the proton packs and PKE meters. Mechanically, Ghostbusters uses a pretty standard third-person shooter format, with you controlling a new everyman-style fifth Ghostbuster alongside the original four (all vigorously voiced by the original actors, of course). Your pack acts as an all-in-one weapon with multiple firing modes that mostly mirror standard shooter weapon types. There are a few interesting ones as well, like a tripwire you can attach to two points. The game is largely without HUD; you can see selected weapon and energy level via colored lights on the backpack itself.

I played a longer segment of the New York Public Library level that's been shown at past events, the same library from the beginning of the first movie. Early on you're making your way through the ground floor, fighting off minor apparitions and monsters made out of animated piles of books. You don't have to trap the most basic enemies, like the book monsters; a good zap from the proton pack will take care of them.

Traps come into play when you're faced with more monstrous ghouls. You need to focus your beam on a major ghost for a long period of time to snare it, then flick the analog stick in directions indicated by on-screen arrows to get it in a trappable state. A good slam to the floor and you can slide the trap out to seal that sucker up.

Book monsters!
    Book monsters!
    The toughest ghosts--bosses, mainly--require a more complicated process. As you delve deeper into the library you uncover the secret lair of a crazed cultist who once resided underneath the structure. This is the guy who murdered the ghostly librarian from the first movie. You end up fighting her as the boss of this level in front of a big occult-looking ceremonial altar. She makes a shield for herself by spinning some pieces of furniture around her, so you have to take those down individually before you can weaken her and ultimately throw out the ol' ghost trap.

After you take out the librarian, you grab an occult manual called the Gozerian Codex, and then the book turns the library into a twisted nightmare version of itself that you then have to fight your way through to get back into the city itself. The demo cut off there, but this bizarro-world interpretation of the library seems like it could provide some interesting level-design opportunities.

So the shooter gameplay is largely familiar here. It's all the PKE readers, spectral goggles, and other weirdo gadgets--and more importantly, the authentic, so-familiar-you-have-to-grin sort of banter between Ray, Peter, Winston, and Egon in-game--that makes this experience feel like Ghostbusters. The dialogue was all written by Dan Aykroyd and friends, the same guys who wrote the films, and it's all totally in character and pretty funny. Ray is just as excitable and Egon as deadpan as ever, and the characters hurriedly spout tons of complicated-sounding spectral gobbledygook that you'll pick up on instantly if you're a fan of the movies. Some other neat elements are in there; you can access Tobin's Guide in the pause menu to check out info on various ghosts and phenomena, for instance. That's a nice touch.

It's rife with Ghostbusters gadgets, as well. You can pull out your PKE and go into a first-person mode to scan an area for traces of the paranormal; it acts as a go-this-way pointer when it lights up. You can put your goggles on to look for other clues, like a series of ghostly handprints on a wall that led me in the right direction. A lot of Ghostbusters' appeal was the crazy technology, so I'm glad to see those things represented properly in the game.

The level design, story, and voiceovers are virtually the same in the Wii version, but the art is totally different from the realistically styled visuals. It's way more cartoon-like, which is appropriate for lower fidelity on the Wii, and it also reminded me in a good way of the old Real Ghostbusters Saturday-morning cartoon. I guess I'm showing my age here. The exaggerated art style on the Wii seemed a little more appropriate to the setting and irreverent banter, actually. It's also got motion controls in all the places you'd expect them.

The Wii game looked like it could ship tomorrow, but Ghostbusters was showing some rough edges on the Xbox 360, mainly in the frame rate and general polish. To be fair, there's a lot going on in most combat scenarios to tax the hardware; large parts of the levels can be damaged or destroyed with physics modeling. You can bust up furniture and and blow every book off the shelves in the library level, for instance. The game isn't out till June 2009, so there's plenty of time for Terminal Reality to shine it up for release by then.

Here's a new trailer Atari put out that shows off a lot of scenes and some of the voiceovers in the game.

UPDATE, TWO MONTHS LATE: Every shameful instance of "EKG" in this story has been replaced with the proper "PKE." Thanks to everyone who caught that lousy error. Ghostbusters deserves better.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

They got Egon's hair right :)

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By PLWolf

Man, I can't wait to get my hands on this. I love the Ghostbusters movies and have been hyped since they first revealed the game.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Kazona

Ghostbusters!    

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By mrsmiley

Looks slightly creepy, but mostly awesome. :)

vunna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By vunna

Looks better then I could have imagined. . .could this finally be a game that makes me turn on the Wii??  The Real Ghostbusters cartoon that I can control with a wand! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Captain_Fookup

bad fucking ass.

Superspiritgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Superspiritgun

Oh man, this is shaping up to look really nice. The trailer made me seriously mark out!

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By darkjester74

When someone asks if you are a god...you say....YES!

Looks awesome, very excited!

BawaTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By BawaTheGamer

lookin good

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

freak out moment in 3,2,1

....I'M FREAKIN OUT!

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#12  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I hope it'll have some hint of the humor of the first film, and that the action won't be just MOVIE plus some game stuff. 

At least they got Egon's hair right.

I do hope they punch up the voice-overs, since they seem to be a little too low key.

Oh, and Brad?  Don't be ashamed about knowing The Real Ghostbusters, that was one of the better cartoons out there.  Especially the earlier stuff.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Alphazero

Where do these stairs go?
    They go up.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mackgyver
    WHO YOU GONNA CALL????

GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By sweep  Moderator

3rd person shooter - right. Is there any sort of cover system?

cjmhockey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cjmhockey

Looks good... I hope they don't screw this up

Arrers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arrers

MUST....BUY!

cgrady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cgrady

oh man i can't wait

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vivek

This makes me wish that they were making a new film, or that a CG film was coming out. I know who im gonna call "Ghostbusters"

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By John1912

Hope its good.  Such great childhood memories.  This could really take off if they nail it!  Gameplay better turn out!

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ghostin

Listen... Can you smell something?

(Cautiously optimistic)

gzl5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gzl5000

Movie videogames are always way better when they come out decades after the original movie. I'm hopeful for this one.

JJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JJ

I feel nostalgic.

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Double0hFor

does anyone have their phone number?

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#25  Edited By psykhophear

OMFG this game looks amazing. All the characters look exactly like the actors themselves and lifelike. Oh, why does the game have to be delayed again until this coming year? I just can't wait to get my hands on Ghostbusters cos I've been waiting for a sequel all my life!

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By artofwar420

OH MAH GAWD!

Avatar image for natural_deadhead
    natural_deadhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By natural_deadhead

did anyone else besides me see walter peck in that trailer?

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ryan  Staff

It's true, this man has no dick.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Ryan said:
    "It's true, this man has no dick."

Uh...what?
    Avatar image for thegreatandwiseone
    TheGreatAndWiseOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That first picture looked eerily like a kid-friendly Dead Space.

And if they even think of  screwing this game up, my childhood memories will fly out and eat their souls for breakfast.

rerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rerty

why do these demos not go live? the gaming industry could destroy all these bullshit video game websites if they just gave the people who actually buy the games the demos......Another retarted facet of capitalist life.

Avatar image for the_dude_abides
    The_Dude_Abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Dude_Abides

Man, looking at the trailer they seem to have really nailed it. Looks, feels and sounds just like the movies. It sends you back. Can't wait. Who knows, if the game can be a big hit we might even see a whole new movie, wouldn't that be ironic. A game of a movie, being turned into a movie. :P

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#33  Edited By joey
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Ryan said:
    "It's true, this man has no dick."

Uh...what?"
    Ghostbusters Quote.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking great, I really hope they don't screw up.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By dsplayer1010

Who ya gonna Call?

(Sorry, had to say it.)
    TaintedSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By TaintedSun

I'm fearful that it will turn out like Alone in the Dark; looks good in trailers, but oh my god, play it and kill yourself.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GioVANNI

Epic nostalgia!

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By dietmango

Wow it looks great

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#39  Edited By ImperiousRix

I certainly hope this pans out.  It's a good concept and great source material... but that's never stopped a game from sucking before.

Ruggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ruggles

Wow, that looks much, MUCH more awesome than I thought it would. Slimer looks freakin scary too.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pibo47

This is going to kickass.

kboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kboy

Dude, Bill Murray!

Kinda sad Rick Moranis won't be coming back though.

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ocdog45

i saw a video of what they just wrote about. the game looks sick IMO.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By JoelTGM

an animated movie would be awesome if it looks anything like those cutscenes in the game.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TwoOneFive

yet another tonfa boner. you guys gotta stop it with all these awesome previews. 

StillAThreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By StillAThreat

Can the next Ghostbusters headline involve "Bustin' makes me feel good!"?  Please.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By yellownumber5

Riddick and Ghostbusters in one week?  You are on a roll Brad.  Woot Woot!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#48  Edited By AndrewB

I'm worried about this game... It has such high expectations to meet, being what essentially is to be Ghostbusters 3, and from everything I've seen of the game, it doesn't look like it'll be able to top those expectations. I can't judge a game that I don't know, but I fear seeing mediocre to poor reviews when this game comes out.

EnterpriseE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By EnterpriseE

Me can't wait. I don't care what people say I loved Ghostbusters 2. Day one purchase for me.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Media_Master

Yes!!! Hope they put enthusiasm in their characters

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.