Looks good. Anyone play this yet?

#1 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

Has anyone played this yet? Just saw it on steam and I have to say it looks interesting. The graphics look very detailed and nice. Not sure how well it controls.

#2 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

On a kind of related note is there a way to tell the games you voted for on greenlight have been accepted?

Might actually pick this one up as it looks pretty good

#3 Posted by PolygonSlayer (428 posts) -

The concept of the game looks neat, but not a fan of the art style. Graphics just feel to busy for a game like that to me, but I might give it a go if the price is right :)

#4 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

So, it's a reimagining of a Mario rip-off that only released in the UK?

#5 Posted by Zidd (1846 posts) -

They made a demo available on their kickstarter page and it plays pretty well

#6 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

havent checked this out yet, but wasted far too much of my youth playing great giana sisters on my a600

might have to give this a look :D

#7 Posted by Abendlaender (2808 posts) -

It's probably worth buying for this alone

But I'll wait for the winter sale

#8 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

Bought it on GOG, but haven't had a chance to play yet, looks awesome.

Now I want a full version of the soundtrack, since GOG only has a 2 song sampler.

#9 Edited by JackSukeru (5913 posts) -

full disclosure: I supported the Kickstarter for this game and played the demo they put out for it a while back. The demo can be found here.

I've only played the full game for a little bit before other things got in the way but I really like it, the controls feel really smooth and the platforming is satisfying, music is really nice too. From what I can tell the demo is pretty representative of the full game other than some polish to the presentation. Things like menus, slightly improved animations and the jumping sound is changed from a really mario-sounding "boing" to more of a "swosh" with the character also going "hupp".

There's not much of a story outside of some setup and there doesn't seem to be any text in the game (probably just so they wouldn't have to translate it into multiple languages) the sign based tutorials work well enough though.

@PolygonSlayer said:

The concept of the game looks neat, but not a fan of the art style. Graphics just feel to busy for a game like that to me, but I might give it a go if the price is right :)

I agree that the "busy-ness" of the style can be distracting, I died a couple of times when playing the demo by walking into unseen hazards and whatnot, I'm not sure if they fixed any of that for the full release.

All in all it definetly feels like a game made by a smaller team presentation wise. I say anyone interested in it should try the demo and, if they become as into it as I did, buy it!

#10 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

@Abendlaender: Machinae Supremacy used to be so good.

Artstyle seems pretty neat, I'll give it a try.

#11 Posted by MURDERSMASH (251 posts) -

I played an hour or so of it last night. It's pretty good. The world-shifting mechanic, combined with the Sisters' abilities, gets more and more tricky as the levels advance, the music is awesome, and the art/graphics are really incredible. Screenshots don't really do it justice. You have to see it in motion. I might write a review of it later, once I finish it. Recommended if you're looking for an old-school, tricky collect-a-thon platformer!

#12 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

Just tried out the demo. Really like it. Feels fast pace yet you are still in control, mixing it up with the sisters moves works well and looks good

The way the music and world changes between the two sisters also works really well

Defiantly going to get this when I have some money

#13 Posted by jayspadez (99 posts) -

the game is rather good for a platformer, lot of momentum in jumps, which i use to like in older sonic games...graphics are bright and colorful, not to mention gorgeous for a platformer, though not quite as good as trine 2...all in all well worth the 13 dollars...heres hoping jeff doe a quick look and a enclyclopedia bombastica on this gamee and the original..alot of gaming hisory to be shared there

#14 Edited by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

I played it. Pre-ordered on GOG to save a few bucks. My laptop is pretty old - I got it in 2007 - but after some tweaking with the settings, it ran fine. It's actually weird because there are no options in the game; you have to mess with Settings outside of it, before actually starting the game. But whatever, minor annoyance. Runs fine now - that's the point. Which is great, because it's pretty awesome. It's a really, really solid platformer; it almost feels as good as an actual 2D one. The visual style is awesome, and the dual world switching adds an "Ikaruga" element to the action. It actually gets intense pretty quickly - I sort of miss the slowdown my laptop was having with it initially :) You have to switch worlds pretty quickly to get through obstacles and to take advantage of the right girl (because one can do a hover/twirl jump, and the other can do a fire attack that also lets her bounce off walls). The soundtrack too is fantastic; compositions by the legendary Chris Hulsbeck (just like the original game!), done in Chiptune AND covered by some punk band. Sounds amazing.

Giantbomb Quick Look'd the Giana Sisters DS game. I'm sure they'll Quick Look this one too so you can get a look at it Funzzo. But it's still only $11 something on GOG if you want to buy it. I recommend it.

#15 Posted by jayspadez (99 posts) -

@vinsanityv22: wish i knew that got mines off steam for 13....and that was suppose to be a sale...steam kinda sucks

#16 Edited by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

@jayspadez: Nah, Steam's usually good. It's just that GOG and Gamersgate do some great promotions too - people should check 'em all out occasionally. PCGamer.com makes it easy, since they usually have a feature called "Weekend Game Deals" every friday. Gamersgate seems to get a ton of games that aren't released in our territory too, which is weird, but there are some gems. Like a PC version of Sega's Billy Hatcher - I didn't even know Sega ever made that for PC until I went to Gamersgate.

Btw, so you missed the deal on Giana Sisters over at GOG. I don't want to sound like a commercial for the site or nothing, but let me point you to a current, rather insane, deal they got going on concerning their library of Interplay games. Pay what you want, get 8 games. Pay above the Average, get 20 games. Pay $35, get 32 games. It's really, really insane, and it's going on for 8 more days. GOG does stuff like this occasionally, and their prices are excellent regardless. Plus, DRM free! And they're the only place you can get some versions of classic games that play on modern OS'.

Okay, I'm seriously sounding like a commercial for 'em now, so I'm gonna stop :)

Giana Sisters is awesome so far though - staying on topic!

#17 Posted by celegorm_menegroth (63 posts) -

I also backed the kickstarter, and I went in for the $25 tier. I mention this because at that price I also got the soundtrack ... which, is pretty cool. And used in an even better way, as I'll explain here.

One thing that I would add to the generally positive vibes of many of the posts is that I really like how the game pits the two worlds against each other in a variety of ways. In one sister's world everything looks happy, carefree ... and is backed by a metal track to support that sister's crazy red hair and punk-rocker look. When you twist over to the other sister the art changes, as you can see in the screens, to make everything look dark and depressing, with an innocent looking sister running around in it. Where in one there were happy signs, now we have skulls and ghosts. But the music also changes, and in this dark world we have a happy whimsical soundtrack using the same melody. I haven't really tried to break it down, but it seems like the soundtrack picks up in the same spot when you go back and forth just like the art. It's a really nice touch.

I've never been a big fan of Mario, and I understand ( in a loose sense ) that the game started ( back in "the day" ) as a Mario clone ... but I wouldn't classify this game as anything like that. Platformer, sure ... but it doesn't feel like Mario when I play it, at all. It is definitely doing its own thing, and for me ( not someone who goes out and plays every platformer to hit the market ... in fact, if I hadn't backed the kickstarter I probably wouldn't have bought it at all ) it's a fun and accessible game.

#18 Posted by DeltaDreamer (113 posts) -

I love this game, and personally it's worth the price. Fantastic music too. Really great.

#19 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Wasn't there supposed to be a QL for this at 7 this morning?

#20 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

@murisan said:

That's what I thought. Just bought it anyway.

#21 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Funzzo said:

@murisan said:

Derp. Why do they bother setting schedules? I'd rather they didn't have content advertised if it doesn't go live when advertised... then it's just happy accidents.

#22 Edited by Morningstar (2166 posts) -

@murisan said:

@Funzzo said:

@murisan said:

Derp. Why do they bother setting schedules? I'd rather they didn't have content advertised if it doesn't go live when advertised... then it's just happy accidents.

It goes up on time like 8 of 10 times though, No biggie.

#23 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

Just played for 20 mins and I'm loving it. Great music and great graphics. Control is very nice. Well worth the 13.50 I paid for it. Also there are many options for graphics, controls, and the music/audio.

#24 Posted by Hailinel (24874 posts) -
@murisan

@Funzzo said:

@murisan said:

Sometimes the automated publishing system they use has a hiccup. It's no big deal.
#25 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Bought it. It's great fun for $13. Way better than New Super Mario Bros 2.

#26 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1072 posts) -

Bought it when it came out and all I have to say is that it is a fun and good looking plat-former. For the price you can't go wrong.

#27 Posted by MURDERSMASH (251 posts) -

I'm working my way through the 3rd world right now. This game gets HARD.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.