Was it cancelled...or what?

#1 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3050 posts) -

Was this game cancelled? There seemingly hasn’t been a peep about the game since March. It was a e3 no-show, as near as I can tell, since nobody mentioned it. And, now I have not seen coverage at San Diego Comic-Con.

So, did this game just quietly get canned?

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Perhaps. I theorized a delay or a cancellation in this thread and it's been three months since then.

From the gameplay demos, it seemed rather advanced in development, so I'm not certain about anything. They haven't reported any news for a rather long time now.

#3 Posted by evanbrau (1162 posts) -

God let's hope so.

#4 Posted by Anjon (124 posts) -

I was suspicious of that game's release around the same time they started talking about making a Dreamcast version (which was also canceled, whodathunkit?). At any case, they've waited too long. Better fighting games have come out in Skullgirls, Persona 4 Arena, and TTT2, and a better cheesecake fighting game had come out in Dead or Alive 5. They should just release it on steam where it could at least have a chance to survive as a novelty PC fighting game (and dirty mod haven).

#5 Posted by Bigheart711 (1240 posts) -
#6 Posted by Xomero (63 posts) -

Hopefully not, I was ready to win with Cooking Mama.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Xomero said:

Hopefully not, I was ready to win with Cooking Mama.

Oh, Damn, now I just want a fighting game with all female video game characters.

#8 Posted by Xomero (63 posts) -

Sounds like someone wants to get on that Arcana Heart!

#9 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

I played it at PAX East earlier this year. I'm really not surprised it didn't show up at E3. That real estate is expensive, and Majesco probably wanted to save it for games that would showcase well, Baller Beats and Zumba Fitness. As it was, I stumbled across Girl Fight in a dark corner of the show floor completely accidentally. I'm pretty sure it wasn't even Majesco's booth, I think it was Kung Fu Factory that was demoing it themselves.

Pretty sure it isn't cancelled, the build I played could have been released to retail then and there. (Worse and more incomplete games have been published.) Maybe it didn't have a story mode or anything, but the engine seems to be done. At worst they could easily just push it out onto digital platforms and recoup some of their costs but that hasn't happened yet, so I suspect they're still working on it.

Anyway, if it comes out, I'll buy it. It was fun.

#10 Posted by psylah (2187 posts) -

Majesco dropped the publishing rights and they were subsequently picked up by Anita Sarkeesian.

#11 Posted by believer258 (12212 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Xomero said:

Hopefully not, I was ready to win with Cooking Mama.

Oh, Damn, now I just want a fighting game with all female video game characters.

Skullgirls?

#12 Posted by sodacat (217 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Xomero said:

Hopefully not, I was ready to win with Cooking Mama.

Oh, Damn, now I just want a fighting game with all female video game characters.

Asuka 120%

SNK Gals Fighters (better than MotM!)

#13 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3050 posts) -

I figure if Dead or Alive 5 sells well, then this game will go front burner again.

#14 Posted by eroticfishcake (7792 posts) -

@sodacat said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Xomero said:

Hopefully not, I was ready to win with Cooking Mama.

Oh, Damn, now I just want a fighting game with all female video game characters.

Asuka 120%

SNK Gals Fighters (better than MotM!)

Don't forget the Rumble Roses series (which was terrible!)

I've no idea what to think or say about Girl Fight but I will say that the art style is actually kinda nice.

#15 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I actually just broke down and bought Dead Or Alive 5, not usually a fighting games guy although in the last year I have bought 3. Which is 3 more then the previous 25 years of my existence But I am looking forward to when it arrives from amazon.

#16 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

This thread makes me think: There was a fighting game with an all male cast? Even the Cho Aniki fighting game had women.

#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

This thread makes me think: There was a fighting game with an all male cast? Even the Cho Aniki fighting game had women.

That could never exist; it'd be sexist.

#18 Edited by Grimhild (722 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@MikeGosot said:

This thread makes me think: There was a fighting game with an all male cast? Even the Cho Aniki fighting game had women.

That could never exist; it'd be sexist.

I'm guessing the UFC and Fight Night series don't count in this discussion.

EDIT: Although, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't start adding them in into MMA games. Gina Carano is pretty well known, and Ronda Rousey is getting pretty popular, as well. They're both signed to Strikeforce though, not UFC.

Ronda's my girl.

#19 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Grimhild said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@MikeGosot said:

This thread makes me think: There was a fighting game with an all male cast? Even the Cho Aniki fighting game had women.

That could never exist; it'd be sexist.

I'm guessing the UFC and Fight Night series don't count in this discussion.

EDIT: Although, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't start adding them in into MMA games. Gina Carano is pretty well known, and Ronda Rousey is getting pretty popular, as well. They're both signed to Strikeforce though, not UFC.

Ronda's my girl.

Oh, these don't have girls? That's kinda weird. Also, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Chun-Li the first woman oin a 1 vs 1 fighting game? So i guess Pre-SF II fighting games count too.
#20 Posted by Grimhild (722 posts) -

@MikeGosot:

Nope. Not in most of them anyway, I haven't actually played the most recent iterations of them though, so I couldn't say for sure. But definitely not in a majority of them. Even so, it wouldn't be to appeal to same type of audience I suppose since it's not based around the same lure of teh bewbs. So the audience, like myself, that would buy it for athletes like Carano and Rousey is extremely limited. Which, you know, whatevs.

#21 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Grimhild said:

@MikeGosot:

Nope. Not in most of them anyway, I haven't actually played the most recent iterations of them though, so I couldn't say for sure. But definitely not in a majority of them. Even so, it wouldn't be to appeal to same type of audience I suppose since it's not based around the same lure of teh bewbs. So the audience, like myself, that would buy it for athletes like Carano and Rousey is extremely limited. Which, you know, whatevs.

To be fair, some of the girls are pretty beautiful, but just imagining the marketing based just around that, i already see a shitstorm coming. Also, since you seem to like UFC a lot, what's your favorite fighter?
#22 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -

lets hope the game can bounce back next year

#23 Edited by Grimhild (722 posts) -

@MikeGosot:

I haven't actually watched UFC in a minute, but welter and middleweights like St. Pierre are usually what I enjoy watching. It'd be awesome to see him and Silva go toe to toe.We'll see if UFC actually makes it happen, they're kind of "meh" right now for me.

#24 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Grimhild said:

@MikeGosot:

I haven't actually watched UFC in a minute, but welter and middleweights like St. Pierre are usually what I enjoy watching. It'd be awesome to see him and Silva go toe to toe.We'll see if UFC actually makes it happen, they're kind of "meh" right now for me.

Hate St. Pierre, love Mr. Silva. But i think part of the reason is because i'm brazilian. So i end up following much of the brazilians. The last fight i saw was Vitor Belfort VS Jon Jones.
 
EDIT: And that song is cool.
#25 Posted by Grimhild (722 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

Hate St. Pierre, love Mr. Silva.

Valid. I just like St. Pierre since he has a balanced skill set from what I've seen. It's nice to see dynamic fights that can go from strikes to subs in the same breath.

#26 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Yeah... uh, this isn't coming out in 2012. Guess the verdict is out on if it's ever coming out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.