Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War: Ascension

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 12, 2013

Before he was a God, Kratos was a man. A prequel, God of War: Ascension is the fourth major title of the God of War series, and Kratos' final outing on the PS3. It is the first to include a multiplayer component.

Game comes across as heavily multiplayer focused.

sin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By sin13

So far every bit of info that has come out about this game has focused solely on multiplayer and co-op. It's starting to give me flashbacks of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. All the way up to that games release a lot of people were under the impression that is was just a multiplayer only game. I worry about this game cause they have been so cagey about the single player side of things.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hunkulese

You used the perfect example but are still worried?

It's another God of War game. They haven't made any major changes to the single player in the first three games and probably wont start now. Everyone knows what the campaign will be like so there's really nothing to tease or highlight at this point besides the fact that he isn't a god yet.

theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By theslothking

Didn't they demo singleplayer at e3? And wasn't reaction to it pretty poor?

Edit: Here is said demo.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By awesomeusername

@Hunkulese said:

You used the perfect example but are still worried?

It's another God of War game. They haven't made any major changes to the single player in the first three games and probably wont start now. Everyone knows what the campaign will be like so there's really nothing to tease or highlight at this point besides the fact that he isn't a god yet.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

I'd say that their line of thinking is "You already know what single player God of War is like, now let's show you what multiplayer God of War is like."

Truth is, we won't know what it's like until it releases. You can get your Kratos-adorned panties in a wad then.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

It's not the inclusion of the multiplayer that's annoyed the most with this game, it's that it's otherwise the same fucking game all over again. You're still playing as Kratos, he's still using those blades of his, and from a story perspective it doesn't look to be breaking any new ground. Kratos is still the Ghost of Sparta and a slave to Ares... we've already had a prequel set during that era so what's the point?

I was initially excited at the prospect of a true God of War sequel/prequel because I thought this was going to be about Kratos when he was just a regular Spartan guy. His family would still be alive, he'd be lookin' all tanned up, and he wouldn't be using those damned blades yet again. Actually I guess it is the multiplayer that's perhaps annoying me the most, because the notion that this is theoretically a vehicle for God of War multiplayer is probably the very reason why the single player is looking to be so incredibly uninspired.

edit: Wait a minute... you're that Volition Environmental Artist developer guy! Wow, you're a lot more active on here than I would have expected.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I feel that the 3 God Of War games were perfect really, so I for one am not worried about this new on.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeGosot

@Yummylee said:

It's not the inclusion of the multiplayer that's annoyed the most with this game, it's that it's otherwise the same fucking game all over again. You're still playing as Kratos, he's still using those blades of his, and from a story perspective it doesn't look to be breaking any new ground. Kratos is still the Ghost of Sparta and a slave to Ares... we've already had a prequel set during that era so what's the point?

I was initially excited at the prospect of a true God of War sequel because I thought this was going to be about Kratos when he was just a regular Spartan guy. His family would still be alive, he'd be lookin' all tanned up, and he wouldn't be using those damned blades yet again. Actually I guess it is the multiplayer that's perhaps annoying me the most, because the notion that this is theoretically a vehicle for God of War multiplayer is probably the very reason why the single player is looking to be so incredibly uninspired.

edit: Wait a minute... you're that Volition Environmental Artist developer guy! Wow, you're a lot more active on here than I would have expected.

Man, this is the truth. They are making the single-player part of the game a pretty safe bet, huh?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @MikeGosot

@Yummylee said:

I was initially excited at the prospect of a true God of War sequel because I thought this was going to be about Kratos when he was just a regular Spartan guy. His family would still be alive, he'd be lookin' all tanned up, and he wouldn't be using those damned blades yet again. Actually I guess it is the multiplayer that's perhaps annoying me the most, because the notion that this is theoretically a vehicle for God of War multiplayer is probably the very reason why the single player is looking to be so incredibly uninspired.

Man, this is the truth. They are making the single-player part of the game a pretty safe bet, huh?

Still maintain that they should have gone with Norse mythology. It's an entire culture based on war! EUROPEAN CHRISTIANS FEARED VIKINGS MORE THAN SATAN (that's true)! IT'S SUCH AN EASY DECISION!
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tunaburn

maybe its because i never played a god of war game but that demo looked pretty dang good to me

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@MariachiMacabre: Do you mean Roman Christians or something? Fear of the Vikings (or conversion) kind of dissipated before Christianity re-emerged as the dominant faith post dark ages.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikeGosot

@MariachiMacabre: God Of War games focusing on different mythologies would be motherfucking amazing.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

@MariachiMacabre said:

@MikeGosot

@Yummylee said:

Still maintain that they should have gone with Norse mythology. It's an entire culture based on war! EUROPEAN CHRISTIANS FEARED VIKINGS MORE THAN SATAN (that's true)! IT'S SUCH AN EASY DECISION!

Oh for sure, I'd have loved if they would actually take the franchise into a completely different setting. But hearing that it was a(nother) prequel, and the trailer talking all ''before he was a God'', I imagined it was at least going to take place during a time when we've got a less so always pissed off, sand-vagina Kratos, and that alone had me kinda excited.

@tunaburn said:

maybe its because i never played a god of war game but that demo looked pretty dang good to me

That's exactly it. Ascension looks like it's going to be a perfectly competent action game, but it's still looking awfully similar to the other five God of Wars before it, and at this point I'm just totally bored of murdering everything in sight using the same Blades combos as the same angry bald guy.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Fredchuckdave

@MariachiMacabre: Do you mean Roman Christians or something? Fear of the Vikings (or conversion) kind of dissipated before Christianity re-emerged as the dominant faith post dark ages.

During the dark ages there was a religious poem that was used in churches that kind of listed the things a good Christian should fear. The "Northmen" were listed before Satan.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.