God Of War has Multiplayer now

• 61 results
#2 Edited by Jeust (10680 posts) -

Gross. I guess I'll never have the stomach to play God of War. It's too sadistic for my taste.

On topic, it's a given that multiplayer seems to be attached to any big project now, which is sad, as games have part of their development time dedicated to something that most often than not is just an afterthought, and quick to be forgotten by the players.

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

So what you're saying is I should ignore this game.

#4 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

This looks really dumb, the combat in God of War is all about taking on waves of guys all at once. This is why every move Kratos has potentially hit multiple enemies, when your only taking on one small guy at a time it's not as much fun. Also those ending cut scenes for the map like killing the titan are going to get really old after the 3rd or 4th time you play on a map. 

#5 Posted by Vonocourt (2133 posts) -

That giant kill was really gross.

#6 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

Doesn't look terrible, actually pretty unique. But still...why?

#7 Posted by Hailinel (24966 posts) -

I guess my only question is why. Were there that many people that really wanted multiplayer in God of War?

#8 Posted by Pazy (2587 posts) -

I woulden't mind some co-op, that would be fun. However I dont think the combat in God of War, as it currently stands, works for multiplayer. I dont want to completely write it off before they really make it and show it but it dosent seem neccasery.

#9 Posted by nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor (143 posts) -
#10 Posted by Ghostiet (5284 posts) -
@Vonocourt said:

That giant kill was really gross.

That's why this is potential day one.
#11 Posted by NTM (7409 posts) -

Yeah, ever since there was even news of another God of War game, there was talk of multiplayer, I haven't seen the footage though. This, while maybe the final concept of how it'll play out, still from a graphics standpoint looks like early footage. Multiplayer's a dumb idea for God of War.

#12 Edited by Packie (255 posts) -

Eh, I honestly lost interest in God of War so I'm having a really hard time getting excited for it.

As for the multiplayer, The cynic in me says it's a shameless attempt by Sony to shove online pass in there or it could turn to be somewhat decent. Either way, don't care about the multiplayer.

#13 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

it's getting pretty dumb that now every game has to have some sort of multiplayer tacked on.

#14 Posted by NTM (7409 posts) -

@nomorehalfmeasures: I don't know why, but it's very awkward that I'm watching this. I had no idea this was going to happen, I didn't care, but now that I'm watching it live, it's very random.

#15 Posted by NTM (7409 posts) -

Tyler Bates is making the soundtrack, he's been doing quite a few games (like the latest Modern Warfare) and will be doing the Far Cry 3 soundtrack as well. More importantly though, he did 300, which is somewhat similar to God of War. I don't really care for that film, but I felt it was interesting to tell.

#16 Posted by 71Ranchero (2776 posts) -

It looks fine. Im sure God of War fans will have fun with it.

#17 Posted by nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor (143 posts) -

@NTM: You live in the moment nothing wrong with that.

#18 Posted by Nadafinga (958 posts) -

Man, its cool to hate stuff on the internet, isn't it?

I don't see why MP is such a bad thing. 4v4 team play, battling for control of points on the map, and taking down a huge cyclops sounds like it could be cool. The fact that this is coming from Santa Monica Studios, which has made some pretty awesome games, makes me interested in this MP. If it was just another single player GoW, I don't think I'd care.

#19 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

I'll look into the camera for this one. Oh nevermind, I'm just going to look at you.

Hehe that was a little awkward.

Todd Papy seems more human than he did during GoW 3 but I'm still worried about his ability to direct a game. I guess we'll see. It doesn't seem like they are going to change much in SP.

#20 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

It looks great, no doubt it'll be fun for a few rounds too, but in my opinion they should spend more money on super single player titles and super multiplayer, but not tack on multiplayer to every good selling game.
Its starting to become silly.

#21 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

4v4 battles sounds pretty awesome to me. Colour me interested.

#22 Posted by NTM (7409 posts) -

I kind of just want to hear them get to the campaign talk.

#23 Edited by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@Sooty said:

it's getting pretty dumb that now every game has to have some sort of multiplayer tacked on.

whats even dumber is that this is ALWAYS said when a game has MP added and more often than not they end up being pretty good.

#24 Posted by probablytuna (3684 posts) -

The splitting of the lips reminds me of the Bloodforge quick look..... Though not quite as disturbing.

#25 Edited by Yummylee (21760 posts) -

Sure, I guess. As long as they're finally working on building up the series' foundation, and not just releasing God of War 3.2. It could still be disastrous, but I'm happy to hear about anything that's new after essentially playing through the same game each time with each new GoW release.

I like the look of the new weapons, too. Hopefully this means they'll actually feature more unique weaponry that is more in-depth and i won't yet again just fall back on those bloody Chains Blades. Though given that this is apparently set before Kratos' sells his soul to Ares, I imagine that the chains probably won't even exist; maybe they'll give them to you at the end as an all powerful super-weapon (kinda like the Blade of Olympus in GoW2), to better prove how monstrously effective they are at shredding shit, against most other kinds of weaponry.

EDIT: Also, Ascension, for the love of God (...), will you please give us a New Game+ that is actually a 'proper' New Game+? Instead of forcing me to start all over again building up my stuff every time I play on a higher difficulty; just do it like DMC, and make the enemies ridiculously powerful to compensate. Or better yet, feature more customisation, so even after completing the game, you're potentially still left with plenty of upgrades to dish out.

#26 Posted by Terranova (592 posts) -

And the GOW series is finally dead, they have just simply lost the plot not only is a prequel to the series not a interesting idea they have to go and stick a worthless mulitplayer mode in because they know deep down the game isn't going to be good enough as a single player game on it's own nice way to kill a series they should have left it on a high with GOW 3 now the series will be remembered for this crap.

#27 Posted by NTM (7409 posts) -

Aside from the multiplayer, they're now talking about the campaign, and I think it's sounding exciting. It's what I want out of God of War, and I think they're looking at all the talk about how Kratos turned out to be a real bastard, so they want to fix that. Alright, I have to be done posting.

#28 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

That cyclops kill was, as always, pretty funny.

#29 Posted by Demoskinos (14877 posts) -

I'm so done with God of War. *hits the ignore button*

#30 Posted by Quarters (1719 posts) -

Not a big multiplayer fan, but this looks pretty alright. I can get behind this. More care about the SP, but I don't think MP ruins games. Case in point, Dead Space 2. Absolutely fantastic, and has a random MP mode in it. Didn't hurt the SP any. Wish people could get past that sentiment.

#31 Posted by KarlPilkington (2733 posts) -

I think that looked pretty good actually.

#32 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -

Usually you don't get the budget that would be used for multiplayer if you don't pitch a multiplayer mode. It's not as easy that you transfer campaign budget to multiplayer. It does not work like that. You get addtional money for doing multiplayer.

#33 Posted by bearshamanbro (284 posts) -

What they showed looks good. Mentioned Power Stone as one inspiration for the MP. Also, character customization in in.

#34 Posted by steeeevil (10 posts) -

I wasn't really interested in a new God of War prequel before, but multiplayer!

Now I'm doubly not interested.

#35 Posted by Bulby33 (593 posts) -

That multiplayer looks mad-dumb. But I thought the same thing about the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and I ended up loving it so... whatevs.

#36 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@Sooty said:

It's gotten to the point where people complain if there isn't any multiplayer component. All that time spent implementing multiplayer could go to making the single player experience better.

#37 Posted by cmblasko (1253 posts) -

Looks pretty damn cool. Throw in customization and possibly loot or character progression and I am sold.

#38 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4536 posts) -

That actually didn't look too bad. Color me intrigued.

#39 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

It looks... Bad. I mean, there's not a lot of stuff going on in the background, and the number of players i pretty low compared to what you can kill in the campaign of previous God Of War games. I'd rather see something about the campaign being more replayable.

EDIT: Also, it takes out some of the charm of being just one motherfucker tearing a cyclops down.

#40 Posted by Vextroid (1406 posts) -

I'm gonna hit Square, Square, Triangle faster than you!

If I want Kratos on Kratos violence i'll just stick with Mortal Kombat.

#41 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

People complain that a new god of war will be more of the same, then people complain when developers try to do something different.

#42 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

of course it does.

#43 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

@Sooty said:

whats even dumber is that this is ALWAYS said when a game has MP added and more often than not they end up being pretty good.

Maybe that's your experience but it certainly isn't mine.

#44 Posted by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (725 posts) -

After hearing about Mass Effect 3 or even Assassins Creed multiplayer and thinking those would be crap, but them turning out pretty good. I will no longer trust my first instinct and reserve judgment on this until it actually is released, been proven wrong too many times.

#45 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Bioshock 2 and assassins creed and mass effect have proved that first impressions are not what they seem. Those 3 games were touted as " not neededing multiplayer" but i had a lot of fun with those 3. That being said im not really intrested in this game one way or another

#46 Edited by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

I already had zero interest in this game.

Now I have negative interest in it.

God of War III just left a sour taste in my mouth. I would go so far as to say I thoroughly hated that game.

Seriously, though... what the fucking fuck, man?

#47 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

As a big fan of the first 5 games, I can say that I think MP will be a good way to shake things up a bit. People are already freaking the fuck out about it though (like most gamers do), but it looks like they put some thought into it and wanted to make it fun. I think it looks pretty good, so as long as the SP is good, then this will be just fine.

#48 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -

I will wait to judge how the multiplayer is later. I just want my quality single player that I am used too from god of war. But regardless of what you think about multiplayer, the game looks fucking gorgeous. Holy shit.

#49 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

This looks alright. I'll probably ignore it, but at least they're trying something new right?

#50 Posted by DarkTravesty (330 posts) -

i would have been happy with some sort of coop but this... it looks like shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.