Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War: Ascension

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 12, 2013

Before he was a God, Kratos was a man. A prequel, God of War: Ascension is the fourth major title of the God of War series, and Kratos' final outing on the PS3. It is the first to include a multiplayer component.

Oh, Hey, There's Totally a Leaked God of War: Ascension Trailer [UPDATED]

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

UPDATE:Sony went ahead and confirmed the existence of God of War: Ascension this morning via the PlayStation blog. So yes, the game officially exists, and yes, it is a prequel of some fashion. How far back that prequel story will go is yet unknown, though it's safe to assume it'll be some chapter of the story that includes as-yet-unseen vengeance and violent, visceral death. Unless, of course, Sony has really jumped the shark and gone the Star Wars prequel route, with the intent to show Kratos as a really angry little kid. While I will admit I would derive a bit of weird amusement out of seeing Kratos as a stab-happy toddler, that would probably get old pretty quick.

We'll know more come April 30, as the PS Blog entry says more details are expected to be released then. I'm guessing they won't be giving those details to Amazon early again, so odds are you'll actually have to wait this time. Sorry about that.

What you see above is a trailer for God of War: Ascension. "But Alex," you ask, "Sony hasn't announced a game called God of War: Ascension yet!" Oops?

Art may not be final, but art is nonetheless radical.

Blame Amazon for the early leak. They evidently posted up this teaser, alongside some placeholder box art for the game this evening. Considering we've been hearing no shortage of rumors regarding a forthcoming God of War IV (or, in this case, God of War: Ascension) announcement, one can imagine that Sony was prepping some kind of big reveal for the title...at least it was. Until now. I bet it was going to be really cool, too.

Instead, here is your teaser trailer and box art, ingloriously shoved out the door into the harsh reality of the Internet before its time, forced to fend for itself with no major marketing event nor official press release to properly help usher it into a world it never made. Really tragic, that.

On the other hand, there's a new God of War game coming, which is actually rather awesome. Though I am going to have to replay God of War III at some point. I can barely even remember what happened in that game. What about you guys? Anyone else good and ready for some more heavy metal Greek God slaying?

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

UPDATE:Sony went ahead and confirmed the existence of God of War: Ascension this morning via the PlayStation blog. So yes, the game officially exists, and yes, it is a prequel of some fashion. How far back that prequel story will go is yet unknown, though it's safe to assume it'll be some chapter of the story that includes as-yet-unseen vengeance and violent, visceral death. Unless, of course, Sony has really jumped the shark and gone the Star Wars prequel route, with the intent to show Kratos as a really angry little kid. While I will admit I would derive a bit of weird amusement out of seeing Kratos as a stab-happy toddler, that would probably get old pretty quick.

We'll know more come April 30, as the PS Blog entry says more details are expected to be released then. I'm guessing they won't be giving those details to Amazon early again, so odds are you'll actually have to wait this time. Sorry about that.

What you see above is a trailer for God of War: Ascension. "But Alex," you ask, "Sony hasn't announced a game called God of War: Ascension yet!" Oops?

Blame Amazon for the early leak. They evidently posted up this teaser, alongside some placeholder box art for the game this evening. Considering we've been hearing no shortage of rumors regarding a forthcoming God of War IV (or, in this case, God of War: Ascension) announcement, one can imagine that Sony was prepping some kind of big reveal for the title...at least it was. Until now. I bet it was going to be really cool, too.

Instead, here is your teaser trailer and box art, ingloriously shoved out the door into the harsh reality of the Internet before its time, forced to fend for itself with no major marketing event nor official press release to properly help usher it into a world it never made. Really tragic, that.

On the other hand, there's a new God of War game coming, which is actually rather awesome. Though I am going to have to replay God of War III at some point. I can barely even remember what happened in that game. What about you guys? Anyone else good and ready for some more heavy metal Greek God slaying?

boredJonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By boredJonathan

Well look at that! Thanks Amazon!

(also: WOOO!)

jukeboxzer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jukeboxzer0

AWESOME I love god of war!

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones
    doctorworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By doctorworm

Snore

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I wished they just went into a different mythology instead of going this route.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Beaudacious

Meh...more god of war

outerabiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By outerabiz

sweet, cant wait to see actual gameplay

617_jbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 617_jbug

How many prequels does God of War have?

Avatar image for mrcleantrousers
    MrCleanTrousers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrCleanTrousers

But he killed all the gods!

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By HydraHam

Oh online retailers! you silly gooses.

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By D_Bones

Was hoping for a sequel but Kratos has no soul in a sequel. Now we get to see happy Kratos Yay!

rkk667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rkk667

What exactly is he going to ascend to this time? He's already been a god and all the rest. Le sigh.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

A prequel... with more Kratos?! After recently buying the GoW HD collections (I had already played Gow2 & GoW3, but the original and psp entries were all new), I've had my fill and then some with Kratos and his 'arc'. I was actually optimistic towards the next GoW since he dies and all, so i figured that was an opportunity to segway into a new protagonist; somebody who possibly doesn't rely on the same weapon and its few combos across 5 games.

If this was a vita release then I could overlook it all (especially since portable gaming is the dumping ground for GoW prequels), but for this to possibly be the next step in GoW, I was hoping for the character, or even setting/time period, to be a little different.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Atary77

This better not be a damned prequel. I wanna know what happens AFTER God of War III.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Shaanyboi

Great. Another game for Kratos to run around, act like an angsty teenager, and just kill everything with no purpose or drive beyond "THEY HAVE BETRAYED ME". How...inspired.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cannonballbam

I really hope Ready at Dawn is working on this, Ghost of Sparda was the best in the series.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SlightConfuse

As a fan of hte Series another prequel does not intrest me in the slightest. i was hopeing for a new setting or protaginst to take us somewhere different. I can see what they could do that was not explained in the other 2 prequels since this seems to be before he met Ares. battleing the egyptian or hindu gods could be cool.

Also he looked pretty angry so the whole no rage thing is moot

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By cornbredx

While its cool, i guess, that they are making another- kind of weird this hints at it being a pre-quel. I mean- Do we really need that?

Granted they only really told the story of how it all started in cut scene memories ( and the now fairly classic scene of it starting off at what is actually the middle of the first game) but how much interesting stuff do you think they can add to that?

I guess I shouldn't doubt the ability to do that- they technically suggested Kratos was always a bloodthirsty warlord even before he made the fatal mistake which spirals into his insanity that leads to.... that ending, but I do have to wonder what they're going to do with this one.

I've played all the GoW trilogy Edit: I forgot to mention, I haven't played the PSP games) and really the only disappointment to me was... that ending. So I don't know. We'll see where this goes I guess. It has major potential, though, to not be that great a game unless they do something new with it that is interesting but doesn't mess up the core game play.

To finish off my rambling, I want to close with the fact that I somehow wrote this whole post without spoiling any of the games. I have fascinated only myself =P

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    No Caption Provided
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By Yummylee

@Shaanyboi said:

Great. Another game for Kratos to run around, act like an angsty teenager, and just kill everything with no purpose or drive beyond "THEY HAVE BETRAYED ME". How...inspired.

I know, right? It was somewhat refreshing to play as someone who walks around with a comically large chip on his shoulder, but 5 games of that ''ARRRRGHDFHDFDGD KILLLL EVERYYYEONNNNE!!'', it gets tiring. In GoW3, Kratos truly succeeded his own level of assholishness... I mean good God (ugh), what a colossal twat. There's a point when an anti-hero stops being an anti-hero and becomes an all around jerk, and GoW3 steam rolled over that point a dozen times over.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Animasta

@SethPhotopoulos said:

they should have gone for the japanese market by having him kill izanagi/izanami or something

randomatom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By randomatom

Why would they put Amazon in a position where they could post that and ruin their reveal plans?

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WMWA
    @SethPhotopoulos Ahh fuck, I never thought of that. Like Norse or Egyptian mythology? Now I'll always want that. Damn you
    mr__kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mr__kamikaze

I haven't even beat GoW2 yet...much less even played GoW3...should probably get on that at some point, but honestly I was burnt out of the franchise as soon as GoW2 loaded when I first bought it, so I am not all that excited for this. Still...pretty cool, I guess.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NegativeCero
    @Animasta

@SethPhotopoulos said:

they should have gone for the japanese market by having him kill izanagi/izanami or something

I find the idea of Kratos stumbling into other mythology and randomly deciding to kill their gods hilarious.
    pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By pr1mus

@NegativeCero said:

@Animasta

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I find the idea of Kratos stumbling into other mythology and randomly deciding to kill their gods hilarious.

Kratos in modern day USA, set somewhere in the bible belt. Each chapter ends with a boss fight against one of the GOP lunatics.

thornie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thornie

Ugh... A prequel really? More Kratos doing the same shit he's been doing over the course of 5 games? The smart people over at Santa Monica couldn't come up with anything better? I'm a fan of the series and have played all 5 games, but it's time to give Kratos and Ancient Greece a rest. I would have loved to see another protagonist in another setting.... I don't know, Scorpion King in Ancient Egypt or something along those lines. Anything but another Kratos game. His story is done. Way to beat a dead horse SCEA.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@NegativeCero said:

@Animasta

@SethPhotopoulos said:

That would be a fantastic use of the franchise as well.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By csl316  Online

Awesome, but what's left to kill??

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Pr1mus said:

@NegativeCero said:

@Animasta

@SethPhotopoulos said:

Kratos in modern day USA, set somewhere in the bible belt. Each chapter ends with a boss fight against one of the GOP lunatics.

Kratos: FUCK YOU JESUS!

Jesus: Wha- ugh.

three days later

Jesus: Not cool man.

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By leejunfan83

Yawn

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By SSully

I really hope this isn't a prequel despite the fact this trailer basically said its a god damned prequel. They could do so much cooler shit with what happened at the end of God of War 3. This is simply uninspired. Oh well, ill wait and see. If they can top me fighting bad dudes on a fucking titan that is climbing mount Olympus, then I am all for it.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MiniPato

I've played through all 3 God of War games and they just never really grabbed me. Then again I'm not a fan of third person character action games like GoW or DMC. Plus Kratos' character never appealed to me. Well, characters in almost all ancient myths seems like assholes in general.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By wjb

Ah, the tricky period of being done with your main trilogy, but the next generation of consoles still aren't here yet to release a legitimate entry. It's either prequels/side stories or kart racing.

kalibr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kalibr

does anybody else think that these "accidental leaks" by gamestop, orgin, amazon, random blog etc are just so people will talk about em and actually care when they are announced.

I mean probably since im talking about it so I guess it works but still it seems kinda underhanded

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Animasta

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Pr1mus said:

@NegativeCero said:

@Animasta

@SethPhotopoulos said:

three days later

psh, SMT killed christian god AGES ago;

No Caption Provided
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Brendan

@kalibr said:

does anybody else think that these "accidental leaks" by gamestop, orgin, amazon, random blog etc are just so people will talk about em and actually care when they are announced.

I mean probably since im talking about it so I guess it works but still it seems kinda underhanded

I'm sure many of them are deliberate. There's a lot of PR and marketing stuff that just "happens" in many industries.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Animasta said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

three days later

psh, SMT killed christian god AGES ago;

No Caption Provided

Are you saying SMT and GOW take place in the same universe?

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By winsord

Saw this coming already earlier today, when they had named certain image elements, "ps_gow-teaser" and other similar names.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#42  Edited By Hailinel

, there won't be any more Greek god slaying. Kratos has killed every noteworthy god in that pantheon. And even if he did decide to, I don't know, kill Athena for some reason, it's completely pointless. Kratos has become completely unsympathetic at this point. Getting excited for a new God of War is like getting excited to watch news about a new serial killer's crime spree. Either way, you're getting excited for a murderous psychopath to do his thing.

There is absolutely no reason for another God of War game to exist, except money. Any narrative value that Kratos had has long been spent, and I couldn't care less for another game in the series at all at this point.

therealminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#43  Edited By therealminime

I am so ready for another PS3 God of War.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By alex

@Hailinel: Right, but with word around the water cooler going around that it's a prequel, one can assume they've found some obscure piece of Greek mythology for Kratos to eviscerate.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Hailinel said:

@Alex, there won't be any more Greek god slaying. Kratos has killed every noteworthy god in that pantheon. And even if he did decide to, I don't know, kill Athena for some reason, it's completely pointless. Kratos has become completely unsympathetic at this point. Getting excited for a new God of War is like getting excited to watch news about a new serial killer's crime spree. Either way, you're getting excited for a murderous psychopath to do his thing.

There is absolutely no reason for another God of War game to exist, except money. Any narrative value that Kratos had has long been spent, and I couldn't care less for another game in the series at all at this point.

Hes killed all the Greek Gods except himself.......... wait.....
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is a prequel before all the other prequels then I am expecting a Animal Crossing style game of happy Kratos living with his family and having to decorate his house, mow the lawn and talk to whomever else in Sparta

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#47  Edited By MormonWarrior

Because there's not already enough GoW games on the PS3. Oh wait, there's five that you can get. And they're all more or less identical. Cool, but identical.

I hope it's first person, just to be different.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By darkvare

well the god of war games are the only platinums i have on ps3 so in other words day one buy special or ultimate edition or whatever they make i guess the game will end when kratos kills his wife and child maybe we'll see when he goes in search for his daughters medicine like he did on the comics

Pishogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Pishogue

Wait, so this one takes place in the American Revolution?

MmaFanQc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MmaFanQc

@MormonWarrior said:

Because there's not already enough GoW games on the PS3. Oh wait, there's five that you can get. And they're all more or less identical. Cool, but identical.

I hope it's first person, just to be different.

oh, you mean like all the COD, Halo, Gears of War, Assasins Creed, and pretty much all games from the same series?

sry, but i dont want a TPS Grand Turismo.

welcome in real life.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.