Oh, Hey, There's Totally a Leaked God of War: Ascension Trailer [UPDATED]

#101 Posted by dezvous (532 posts) -

The good thing about all of these games is they really pull out all the stops and manage to do something pretty creative each time. It's impressive. The extremely solid combat only helps. They tend to have a sense of scale that is really just unmatched.

#102 Posted by CitizenJP (1005 posts) -

I love me some God of War. Not really into prequels though especially after all the epicness from 1-3. I mean comon.

#103 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (457 posts) -

I really enjoyed GOW3 and thought it looked amazing, so another game with that tech running it sounds fucking fantastic to me! =D I'm actually glad this didn't end up being a Vita game. I wonder if it will have some kind of multiplayer component. Really surprised GOW3 didn't have it.

#104 Posted by Applederp (116 posts) -

Another prequel?

Fucking serious? THAT WAS WHAT THE PSP GAMES WERE. GOD DAMN IT SONY.

#105 Posted by LaserLambert (167 posts) -

did they not already show his "before Kratos was Kratos" thing in the PSP games? I thought that was what at least one of those was about.

whatever, The story was all I really cared about in those games, the game play wound up pretty boring and only tolerable for the length of one play-through of the story for me personally.

if the story here is any good, or if, god forbid, the gameplay is good, I may give this one a play.

#106 Edited by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

I really tried to like GOW3, but it just didn't work between us. I found the combat tedious and hard (I sucked at it), the buzzles mind numbingly dull and all the characters as unlikable as you can get. Fuck you Kratos, I don't want to guide your sorry ass through this game... Looked goood though, maybe I watch someone else play this so I don't have to.

#107 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

I can't stand Kratos after GOW3.

I seriously wanted Zeus to win at the end of the game, thats how much i hated Kratos. This is a definite pass for me i don't care how good this game is.

#108 Posted by Buckydude (26 posts) -

Wheeeeelp, that's disappointing. While I am interested in seeing Kratos portrayed as something other than a raging A-hole (I've never understood how people see him as a compelling character when literally about the only he is capable of, in any given situation, is killing things), how will this be anything but a retread? Granted, I called out the Dishonored trailer for making CG promises where it shouldn't, and there's nothing to say that this latest franchise won't bring something new to the table, but the way they're selling it makes it sound like the same old song and dance.

The bomb crew have been talking about the effects of this prolonged generation cycle for a while and this seems like another response to it. The franchise needs a complete overhaul, but it won't make sense until we have new hardware to reinforce the impact of trying something new? Mechanically, the GoW franchise has always been reliable but it's been the same for seven years, it's time for an upgrade.

#109 Posted by Milkman (16527 posts) -

I like God of War and all but I feel kind of done with it.  

DO SOMETHING NEW, VIDEO GAMES

#110 Posted by GenesisZ (115 posts) -

i fucking hate prequels!

#111 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

Wasn't there already a prequel on the PSP? Just let the series rest.

#112 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

So he was angry before the gods made him angry?

#113 Posted by Sharpless (457 posts) -

I'm not sure how I feel about that tagline, you guys. "Art not final"? Kinda weird, you guys. Kinda weird.

#114 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

Isn't Amazon sue-worthy for doing this? Sony must be very dismayed by this, non?
#115 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6386 posts) -

Do we really need a new God of War game though? I thought III wrapped things up pretty nicely.

#116 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Totally Comma Totally Party

#117 Posted by Rasgueado (709 posts) -

It seems like I'm with a lot of people in thinking that this seems like a silly idea. How much more of a past did he really have? I mean come on...

#118 Posted by shishkebab09 (98 posts) -

If this had been shown a year after God of War III came out, I'd be saying the same as most people that it's more of the same and it's getting old and blah blah blah. HOWEVER, after reminiscing every few months about how awesome God of War III was for the last few years, I'm definitely ready for another installment. I'm pumped!

#119 Posted by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

A milked series if i ever seen one.

There was no other reason for this but money.

#120 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

There's already been two prequels, why are they making another? It's not like Kratos' story is incredibly deep or intricate, just kill all gods you can get your hands on.

Another chance to square, square, triangle again I guess.

#121 Posted by Leppard (1 posts) -

What if... WHAT IF... this was all just a dream. Just a new technique that Morpheus was using on Kratos to see how shit would work out. And so, now that Kratos is awake, he wants revenge on Morpheus and the Olympians for treating him like a lab rat. So he 'ascends' Olympus to confront those gods.

#122 Posted by MachoFantastico (4488 posts) -

Still have to play through the HD collection and an unopened copy of God of War 3. I'm sure I will, there fun games.

#123 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -
@Pr1mus

Are you Dutch, by any chance? Bible belt is not a commonly used term (not even for the average Dutch citizen), unless you're familiar with its origin(s). You could also be a history professor c.q. student, of course. : )
#124 Posted by clank543 (93 posts) -

I think there's more to this than meets the eye. They couldn't just make another God of War game about a story that we've heard to death through the other 5 games, right? RIGHT? I hope not.

#125 Posted by DeF (4801 posts) -

yawn, hope they're doing something to freshen it up this time ...

angry Kratos is such a turn off for me at this point...

#126 Posted by Humanity (8810 posts) -

I was already done with the series midway through the second game. The original was a fresh concept and an interesting take on revenge and fighting destiny. Then Kratos just got turned into a lunatic that killed everyone in his path. The constant raging also got a bit old - he should learn from some of those other video game characters to just let go after a while.

#127 Posted by TheHT (10888 posts) -

wait, what? so it's god of war chains of olympus?

hm.

#128 Posted by Jolt92 (1542 posts) -

I can't say that I'm very excited.

#129 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3156 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I wished they just went into a different mythology instead of going this route.

Might I suggest... GARSHASP!?!

But not really.

#130 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

That first God of War was pretty cool until I got bored and quit playing.

#131 Posted by DrRandle (1202 posts) -

So God of War 3 was so awesome that you remember nothing about it, and that means Ascension will also be cool? Eh, wot?

#132 Posted by ghostNPC (761 posts) -

Didn't they say that they were completely and utterly Done with God of War? Not that I'm complaining or anything.

#133 Posted by Darro (625 posts) -

I am a big fan of the God of War series ever since playing the first one back in July 2005 but even I have had my fill of the series at this point. What is there to do with the story because we kind of know already from flashbacks and extra scenes the story in this game supposedly if the narration has anything to go by.

#134 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Called it the instant I saw that trailer.

#135 Posted by JakeBond (5 posts) -

think of somthing new this type of game is just soooooo boring now!!!

#136 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@Darro: Too early to tell really. We literally know nothing beyond the game title. I'll be optimistic. The only God of War game I never really finished was Chains of Olympus so to me the GoW game never really disappointed. I love those games and I can't wait to see what the development team have in store for us.

Secretly I always wanted them to explore that modern extra they had in the first game. You know....This one.

Notice the hole in Crono's skull? Rings a bell?

#137 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

God of War III was the first God of War game I've ever played, and it was okay. I'll probably check this out.

#138 Posted by Smokey_Earhole (473 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@Shaanyboi said:

Great. Another game for Kratos to run around, act like an angsty teenager, and just kill everything with no purpose or drive beyond "THEY HAVE BETRAYED ME". How...inspired.

I know, right? It was somewhat refreshing to play as someone who walks around with a comically large chip on his shoulder, but 5 games of that ''ARRRRGHDFHDFDGD KILLLL EVERYYYEONNNNE!!'', it gets tiring. In GoW3, Kratos truly succeeded his own level of assholishness... I mean good God (ugh), what a colossal twat. There's a point when an anti-hero stops being an anti-hero and becomes an all around jerk, and GoW3 steam rolled over that point a dozen times over.

Roid Rage: The Game

(also, it did get kind of tiring before the end)

#139 Posted by snaptroll (70 posts) -

Another one of these?

Yaaawn

#140 Posted by Yurtigo (35 posts) -

Hell yeah, more God of War.

#141 Posted by Tebbit (4449 posts) -

God of War 1 was amazing, 2 was really good, 3 was fun (apart from that Zeus fight at the end, what the hell), and the handheld games did nothing for me.

As a long-time fan of the series, that trailer did nothing for me, and that is probably not a good sign. I feel like Kratos has totally run his course. He changed from a brooding, anarchic anti-hero in the first game to a mindless, rage-fuelled blood-monger in the third. I just don't need that in my life.

#142 Posted by lordofmidgets (43 posts) -

Dont think im too bothered, i loved the God of War series when I played it but that damn that fight with Zeus at the end of 3 just took the enjoyment out, 20 tries to kill a guy just makes you hate game

#143 Posted by hollitz (1421 posts) -

I was glad that Kratos was dead by the end of 3. He'd just devolved into a horrible asshole and the Pandora redemption arc was some lazy-ass bullshit. Series had some fun elements but not really interested in the future of the franchise.

#144 Posted by Cybexx (1151 posts) -

Can't say I'm not disappointed in another prequel. Jaffe talked about his original plans for the series which was to have Kratos kill off all the Greek Gods in 2. Then in 3 the Norse and Egyptian gods come in to fill the void left and do battle with each other, Kratos does battle with them, wins and is responsible for the demise of the old religions. He then becomes the Grim Reaper. I kind of want that game instead if we are going to keep this franchise going.

#145 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

I never asked for this!

#146 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10478 posts) -

Neat, I guess. I mean, I definitely would like to play another God of War style game, but I don't know how much more can be done with Kratos. I thought God of War III had a great ending to his story arch. It was very...Greek, at least if you know anything about old Greek plays. It was fitting.

#147 Posted by GinjaAssassin (158 posts) -

April is turning out to be a great month for news leaks...way to go PR.

#148 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

Interesting, my personal wish of Spartan Kratos maybe true after all it seems. I can get into some more GoW regardless, though not sure this will be a must buy after 3.

#149 Posted by The_Nubster (2047 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@Shaanyboi said:

Great. Another game for Kratos to run around, act like an angsty teenager, and just kill everything with no purpose or drive beyond "THEY HAVE BETRAYED ME". How...inspired.

I know, right? It was somewhat refreshing to play as someone who walks around with a comically large chip on his shoulder, but 5 games of that ''ARRRRGHDFHDFDGD KILLLL EVERYYYEONNNNE!!'', it gets tiring. In GoW3, Kratos truly succeeded his own level of assholishness... I mean good God (ugh), what a colossal twat. There's a point when an anti-hero stops being an anti-hero and becomes an all around jerk, and GoW3 steam rolled over that point a dozen times over.

But there was a glorious moment, playing GoW3, where I accepted that Kratos was just an unlikeable meanie-head and began to revel in his anger as well. Yes, Kratos, murder Cronos. Yes, Kratos, set that dude on fire and take his bow. Yes, Kratos, punch his face until it is no more.

#150 Posted by White (1325 posts) -

Wasted opportunity.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.