Reviews are coming in.

  • 85 results
  • 1
  • 2
#52 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

I watched the Sess' review. It reinforced the notion that i'm done with God of War at this point. It continues to be an impressive spectacle but the series has changed so little over the years... it's starting to be redundant. That plus another prequel. I can't be bothered with that.

#53 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@animasta: Can't say I agree that Walking Dead is ever trying to evoke any sort of Dark Humor. Its dead serious the entire way through.

#55 Edited by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

We need a graph keeping track of Polygon's review score.

#56 Posted by Animasta (14713 posts) -

@animasta: Can't say I agree that Walking Dead is ever trying to evoke any sort of Dark Humor. Its dead serious the entire way through.

It still fits with the tone of the game, that is to say it throws mad dark.

bros before hos does not fit the tone of god of war. So it is terrible, it undermines the fiction, AND is misogynistic

#57 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

Interesting. I don't like the God of War series but interesting nonetheless.

#58 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@winternet said:

They are? New God of War is coming out next week? I thought it was much later in the year.

Sony's marketing wins again!

#59 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -
#60 Posted by Animasta (14713 posts) -

@animasta: My point ultimately being this isn't the first time God of War has done this with trophies. Nobody called this out though.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/god-of-war-iii/trophy/14431-I-didn-t-do-it---But-I-wish-I-did-.html

well they should have because that's even worse

but just because they didn't then doesn't mean they should do it now, and for a lot of people this probably isn't an issue but both Sessler and polygon reviewer guy ultimately thought it was worth mentioning so... meh.

#61 Posted by TangoUp (314 posts) -

Original Dante kicks Kratos' ass.

#62 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

lol reviews.

Did you make a second account because your first was banned when you said the exact same thing earlier in the thread?

#63 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@animasta said:

@demoskinos said:

@animasta: My point ultimately being this isn't the first time God of War has done this with trophies. Nobody called this out though.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/god-of-war-iii/trophy/14431-I-didn-t-do-it---But-I-wish-I-did-.html

well they should have because that's even worse

but just because they didn't then doesn't mean they should do it now, and for a lot of people this probably isn't an issue but both Sessler and polygon reviewer guy ultimately thought it was worth mentioning so... meh.

I mean in God of War 3 you Choke a Woman to death with your bare hands as well as the previous trophy mentions strap a helpless woman to a gate lever so that she "holds" the gate for you to get through and as soon as you get through the gate her arms basically snap making the lever basically crush her to death. I'm not taking sides on either way here I'm simply saying the series has always from the start not had portrayals of female characters in any other context than being sex objects for Kratos and the few times they ARE in other contexts he brutally murders them. So I guess people calling out the misogynistic underpinnings of the God of War franchise now in its oh what... 6-7th release? Just strikes me as odd. Could be that people are more sensitive to it now I dunno. I'm just saying its something I've observed from the very start with the series.

#64 Posted by TheHT (11526 posts) -

heard lots of praise for the campaign. the gamespot review mentioned scale too, and that was probably my favourite aspect to gow3.

#65 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@animasta said:

@demoskinos said:

@animasta: My point ultimately being this isn't the first time God of War has done this with trophies. Nobody called this out though.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/god-of-war-iii/trophy/14431-I-didn-t-do-it---But-I-wish-I-did-.html

well they should have because that's even worse

but just because they didn't then doesn't mean they should do it now, and for a lot of people this probably isn't an issue but both Sessler and polygon reviewer guy ultimately thought it was worth mentioning so... meh.

I mean in God of War 3 you Choke a Woman to death with your bare hands as well as the previous trophy mentions strap a helpless woman to a gate lever so that she "holds" the gate for you to get through and as soon as you get through the gate her arms basically snap making the lever basically crush her to death. I'm not taking sides on either way here I'm simply saying the series has always from the start not had portrayals of female characters in any other context than being sex objects for Kratos and the few times they ARE in other contexts he brutally murders them. So I guess people calling out the misogynistic underpinnings of the God of War franchise now in its oh what... 6-7th release? Just strikes me as odd. Could be that people are more sensitive to it now I dunno. I'm just saying its something I've observed from the very start with the series.

For me, it's the fact that in previous games the violence isn't given any sort of sexual undertone. He does that stuff to everyone, he doesn't care about their sex. But with this specific act of ultra-violent murder, implying that she is a "ho" after brutally killing her gives the whole thing a sexual undertone because of the thoughts associated with the word "ho". It makes it feel like it's less that he's killing her because she's against him and more because she's female. I don't really care if the series has him killing females because he kills everyone. It's the tone that the trophy conveys that's uncomfortable.

#66 Edited by TangoUp (314 posts) -

Sessler said something about how he is shocked that such a talented developer made such a misogynistic statement with their trophy name. I'm also shocked that they had the gall to take imagery from existing religions and use them as enemies in the game.

Elephant-Men anyone?

Thankfully, I've never bought a GOW game.

#67 Posted by Slag (4615 posts) -

Wow "Bros before Hos". That is just stupid. Is that even spelled correctly? I thought "Ho" plural had an e in it but whatever.

Sigh

frankly God of War never needed to be a series. It was one great game and that's where it should have stopped.

Sess's review is on target as usual

#69 Posted by eskimo (477 posts) -

Fuck yeah Sessler, tell it from the mountaintop!

#70 Posted by Animasta (14713 posts) -

@slag: yeah it should've been hoes so it's also misspelled.

truly a bad scene all around

#71 Posted by Sackmanjones (4742 posts) -

Seems like a pretty good game but with sim city (when it works), tomb raider, and bioshock in a few weeks, this'll be takin a back seat

#72 Posted by Icemael (6342 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

That's fucking ridiculous. Does the word "bros" also imply that all males are his brothers in spirit, and that he is allied with all of them (including his enemies) in a patriarchal conspiracy to oppress women?

It's a jokey trophy name for fuck's sake. I'll agree that the joke isn't funny but with comments like "IT IRREDEEMABLY STAINS THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE AND THE SERIES AS A WHOLE" coming from multiple reviewers I'm seriously wondering if game critics just decided to collectively go mentally ill on playing this game.

#73 Posted by Humanity (9604 posts) -

@icemael: Reviewers have been getting a lot more nitpicky and critical with reviews lately. Maybe it's the end of the generation or maybe the industry is in flux and everyone is trying something new. I can see in the past this trophy not getting mentioned at all or maybe talked about in a passing "and there's one achievement you'll really roll your eyes at" sort of way. Overall like I wrote in a recent blog, everyone seems to be just a lot more down on games, looking for something to complain about. If the game is lukewarm then thats fine, but bringing things like achievement names into the review seems silly.

#75 Posted by JCGamer (666 posts) -

Played the demo and didn't really do it for me. I loved the prior 3 GoW games and played the first PSP version but I think this game feels just more of the same. I suppose I'll buy it once it's a "greatest hits" or something like that, but by then we'll probably be onto the PS4 right?

#76 Posted by believer258 (11999 posts) -

Wait, isn't it kinda worrying that a game touted for its multiplayer isn't reviewing well in terms of said multiplayer? Or am I way off base with this?

Maybe Sony wanted to show off the multiplayer to get more sales ('cause that always works!) so the devs just kinda threw one in there.

#77 Posted by ZOnikJJ (258 posts) -

Anyone have any idea how long the single player campaign is?

#78 Edited by Yummylee (22067 posts) -
@zonikjj said:

Anyone have any idea how long the single player campaign is?

Probably about as long as all of the other God of War games--there's been no indication in the reviews that it's noticeably shorter or longer--so on average between 8-10 hours maybe.

Online
#79 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I believe it was confirmed on Neogaf that the controversial trophy being discussed was actually created by a female member of the development team. I'm not sure if I saved the screencap or not but people were talking about it on /v/ the other night.

Edit: Yeah apparently a female employee named the trophy. I'm not saying that makes the trophy any less silly but it's hilariously ironic.

#80 Edited by Daneian (1245 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

I'm not taking sides on either way here I'm simply saying the series has always from the start not had portrayals of female characters in any other context than being sex objects for Kratos and the few times they ARE in other contexts he brutally murders them.

Wasn't Athena presented as a wise, courageous and strong woman that is imperative to the story of the first few games?

#81 Edited by Yummylee (22067 posts) -
@daneian said:

@demoskinos said:

I'm not taking sides on either way here I'm simply saying the series has always from the start not had portrayals of female characters in any other context than being sex objects for Kratos and the few times they ARE in other contexts he brutally murders them.

Wasn't Athena presented as a wise, courageous and strong woman that is imperative to the story of the first few games?

Funnily enough Kratos does still murder her, though, albeit accidentally. Plus it's revealed in GoW3 that she was helping Kratos along the games purely for her own gain too. I can't remember the specifics, but they didn't end their relationship on the best of terms. But otherwise she was still a pretty strong-willed and independent character, as was Gaia too, despite the unavoidable hilarity of her giant rock boobs.

Truth be told the God of War games do neither gender any favours, as pretty much everyone in the series is kind of a twat, or will at least betray Kratos down the line.

@sathingtonwaltz said:

I believe it was confirmed on Neogaf that the controversial trophy being discussed was actually created by a female member of the development team. I'm not sure if I saved the screencap or not but people were talking about it on /v/ the other night.

Edit: Yeah apparently a female employee named the trophy. I'm not saying that makes the trophy any less silly but it's hilariously ironic.

That would be some irony-overload right there if true.

Online
#82 Posted by Bocam (3785 posts) -

Here's the scene where the Trophy unlocks. It's not as bad as Adam made it out to be. but it's still pretty dumb.

#83 Posted by Istealdreams (153 posts) -

Just an FYI, this trophy is not tied to killing any females and is infact awarded as a story beat when another male character makes the CHOICE to save you from the femaleish furies. Oh yeah slight spoiler I guess.

#84 Posted by Daneian (1245 posts) -

@bocam: I'm offended at how poorly that scene was written and produced.

#85 Edited by Blannir (250 posts) -

I don't know what to make of this game, I really enjoyed God of War 1-3 but have almost no interest in this. This prequel seems to add nothing of importance to the overall story it's just another excuse for Kratos to slaughter assorted characters from mythology, for me the story of Kratos ended at 3 and nothing more needs to be said about the character. I'd be more interested in seeing what the world looks like post GoW III with or without Kratos then a prequel.

I understand this is largely a way to squeeze some more cash from the franchise before the next gen consoles but they risk wearing out the brand and turning off fans. At least the numerous MGS prequels help to add more detail and context to that universe, but as big an MGS fan as I am I feel like that's about to hit the tipping point with two more potential prequels in the works with Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. Hopefully next gen GoW can get a fresh start whether it's with a new character or an entirely new mythology.

#86 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

This pretty much is it... alot of butthurt over something so throwaway.

@icemael said:

@mariachimacabre said:

That's fucking ridiculous. Does the word "bros" also imply that all males are his brothers in spirit, and that he is allied with all of them (including his enemies) in a patriarchal conspiracy to oppress women?

It's a jokey trophy name for fuck's sake. I'll agree that the joke isn't funny but with comments like "IT IRREDEEMABLY STAINS THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE AND THE SERIES AS A WHOLE" coming from multiple reviewers I'm seriously wondering if game critics just decided to collectively go mentally ill on playing this game.

#87 Posted by DarthOrange (3867 posts) -
#88 Edited by DarkShaper (1341 posts) -

I don't really know how I fall on this one. The entire God of War franchise has always made me feel really uncomfortable whenever I try to play it and this just seems in line with the rest of it.

#89 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

@tangoup said:

Sessler said something about how he is shocked that such a talented developer made such a misogynistic statement with their trophy name. I'm also shocked that they had the gall to take imagery from existing religions and use them as enemies in the game.

Elephant-Men anyone?

Thankfully, I've never bought a GOW game.

Are you for real with that Elephant-man enemy? If so, I'm totally face-palming myself. You should opt out of gaming altogether, just in case it insults your cult/religion. I don't care if I stab an elephant or eagle or opossum-man. It's a game. But stabbing people is fine, right? Oh, it is fine, as long as we don't stab those poor, innocent women. Way to go, just like Adam Sessler, to enforce sexism and portray women as weaklings.

#90 Posted by TangoUp (314 posts) -

@klei said:

@tangoup said:

Sessler said something about how he is shocked that such a talented developer made such a misogynistic statement with their trophy name. I'm also shocked that they had the gall to take imagery from existing religions and use them as enemies in the game.

Elephant-Men anyone?

Thankfully, I've never bought a GOW game.

Are you for real with that Elephant-man enemy? If so, I'm totally face-palming myself. You should opt out of gaming altogether, just in case it insults your cult/religion. I don't care if I stab an elephant or eagle or opossum-man. It's a game. But stabbing people is fine, right? Oh, it is fine, as long as we don't stab those poor, innocent women. Way to go, just like Adam Sessler, to enforce sexism and portray women as weaklings.

Do you even know what imagery I was referring to? I can see from this post why God of War still has a market to cater to. However censorship in games due to religions is still grossly unequal as evidenced by LittleBigPlanet and Modern Warfare 2.

#91 Edited by D_Bones (365 posts) -

Um my legit question is are the giantbomb guys doing any sort of review of their own? I'm leaning towards no at this point as it has been a while. Just cause Ryan and Patrick said their were three quarters through when the did the quick look. Anybody??

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.