Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War Collection

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

A high definition re-release of God of War and God of War II for PlayStation 3.

Not really feeling it

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By septim

I was pretty stoked that they were releasing this as I never really played either game. Naturally I started with the first game and played on normal. To me the gameplay just feels kind of tedious. I don't find it hard, it just seems that enemies take too long to die and I'm mashing the same attacks over and over. And for it being set in ancient Greece I seem to be spending a lot of time in gray bland environments. After the awesome first level it seems like the pace slows to a crawl and never really finds that level of momentum again.

On one hand I can see how far ahead of its time this game was. It's really obvious Naughty Dog used this style of cinematic and varied gameplay as a template for the Uncharted franchise. On the other hand after playing these newer more polished takes on the genre it helped create, I can't help but compare it against those.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Kohe321

It felt a little dated when I went back to the first one. It definitely holds up better in my memory...

But it's still one of my favorite games of all time, and the same goes for the sequel. I'm completely stoked for GoW3.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Meltac

Athen in GoW was a pretty boring section, compared to the suff that comes later. I don't know how far you're into the game, but if you're still in Athens, it will get alot of better later on. imo GoW II has better design, environments, enemies, graphics and overall it seemed more kickass ^^ So you should definitely try that out.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Griddler

I'm liking it so far, it's GoW but on PS3. No surprises.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Evilsbane

Dude just play GOW 2 its the shit.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By septim
    @Evilsbane: Yup it looks like I may just skip over to 2. I've heard it's more balanced and holds up better than the original.
    DBrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By DBrim
    @septim: Again, if you're not out of Athens... 

The temple you get to after Athens (not the oracle one) is brilliantly designed.
    ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShadowKing7

I'm probably beating a dead horse, but to reiterate what's been said, the design gets way better once you get out of Athens.  A lot of the set pieces in Pandora's Temple in the first game are pretty phenomenal in my opinion.
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By BawlZINmotion

The allure of God of War for myself was the epic scale of events and crazy boss encounters. For a 2005 PS2 game, this was something amazing to witness. However by today's standards it likely won't impress many. God of War has its place in history, but you're late to the party and the beer is kind of flat. Sorry dude. You also likely won't enjoy God of War 3, or Dante's Inferno; which would be a carbon copy of GoW2 if it took place in acient Greece. God of War has always been more about cinematic excellence and over the top violence, not innovative game play; or to an extent, challenging gameplay.

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By SteveVice

I just got the collection the other day. Just got through God of War a couple of hours ago. In my opinion the game looks amazing, and by todays standards it actually holds up pretty well against Dante's Inferno. I've played an hour or so of God Of War II and in my opinion that game actually looks better than Dante, and both of them play way better. I'm so psyched for God of War 3 now.

Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Tornac

You still should play God of War Collection, especially if you plan on playing God of War III. Not just because of the story, but because God of War is better than God of War III and God of War II is better than God of War.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.