Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War II

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 13, 2007

God of War II continues the story of Kratos as he wields his newly-bestowed god-like powers, much to the dismay and fear of the other gods.

Bought GoW2 for cheap, should I play original first?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

Just finished highschool so being fairly poor I've only just managed to buy my own PS2 (yes, PS2, not PS3, they're still expensive as hell here). I recently jumped on a deal from the UK for God of War 2 that cost me only a couple of Australian Dollars, which was great since the game was new and I take it most people here have heard the stories about buying new games in Australia already.

Is the story of God of War 1 central to God of War 2, and is the plot so important that I play the original game first? I don't mind buying and playing through that game first if it is and I'll probably play through it eventually anyway, I just don't want to crack open the second game when it arrives if it means having the entire first game spoiled within the first few minutes.

Thanks.

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kibblez

I think GoW2 is a better game, and the story is never THAT interesting really. So just play it, I say. Go back to 1 at some point tho

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

You won't be lost or anything playing through the 2nd one first but I'd still play the 1st then the 2nd. Mostly because you can see how improved the game has gotten between the two instead of downgrading from 2nd to 1st.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

Gears one has alot more SPOOK factor, more tense in my opinion and those Krill..... *shivers*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Suicidal_SNiper: mm, I see where you're coming from. I'm currently playing through Persona 4 and I've got Persona 3 coming in the mail even though I've heard going back to that is harder after playing Persona 4, although in that sense I don't mind too much. I've been going through a backlog of old games over the last year so I don't mind dated mechanics, the main thing I'm worried about is a good overarching story being spoiled, and if that doesn't matter here then things should be okay.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Marz said:
    " Gears one has alot more SPOOK factor, more tense in my opinion and those Krill..... *shivers* "
    No, God of War. Read the forum title lol. 
    Expected confusion like this though so it's my fault I used the abbreviation in the topic name.
    Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Kibblez
    @Marz said:
    " Gears one has alot more SPOOK factor, more tense in my opinion and those Krill..... *shivers* "
    did you even read the lad's post?
    szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By szlifier

Story in God of War is not that important. I dont remember most of it since I've played both two years ago.

Just play second one, there is some flashback to help you get into it.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By EvilTwin

God of War II is definitely the better game, but the presentation of the story in the first game is really cool, even if you never really care about the characters.  I would honestly recommend playing both.  If you really like the second one, then you'll probably eventually play the third (if/when you get a PS3).  At that point, it just seems silly not to have played them all.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Rhaknar

i just finished Gears 1 again since 2007 between yesterday and today (its quite short heh) and it still holds up really well. The second is the better game, but i would definately play the first aswell

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Rhaknar said:
    " i just finished Gears 1 again since 2007 between yesterday and today (its quite short heh) and it still holds up really well. The second is the better game, but i would definately play the first aswell "
    Are you kidding me?
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Rhaknar
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @Rhaknar said:
    " i just finished Gears 1 again since 2007 between yesterday and today (its quite short heh) and it still holds up really well. The second is the better game, but i would definately play the first aswell "
    Are you kidding me? "
    am i kidding you in what way? that it still holds up? that its quite short? that i think he should play it? im not kidding in any of those...
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Rhaknar: Are you kidding me that you didn't even read the first sentence of his post?
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Marz

my bad, topic was on front page so i did not see it was in the god of war forum.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Its pretty much the same game so it doesn't matter, GoW3 will be the same shit, If your playing GoW for the story, your playing for the wrong reason.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

You should really play the first game and then the second.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.