Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

I Sat My Dad Down With God Of War III...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By get2sammyb

My Dad played about half of God Of War II. He loves video games but has a lot of difficulty with controls, namely the 3D aspect of games. He just can't get his head around operating the character movement with one stick and the camera with another. In essence - he banes the existence of the DualShock.

I recommended he play God Of War II a few years back now, simply because the game has a fixed camera and the combat is pretty accessible on lower difficulties. He really enjoyed the game but eventually gave up about 3/4s of the way through, the puzzles causing him trouble.

Despite giving up, he's maintained a lot of love for the franchise, quoting Kratos in normal speech and humming the tune. It's probably the only franchise aside from Shenmue and Zelda (he uses guides for both) that he has an active interest in. So naturally we were both very excited when my God Of War III review code arrived.

Having played through the first hour while he was at work, I decided he absolutely had to play the section. I mean, it's just bonkers amazing. So I put it on easy, reminded him of the controls and he sat down to watch the opening.

Now, if you've been reading this far you're probably going to be disappointed with the crux of my story, but here's the bit I've been building up to. At the start of God Of War III there's a brief story cut-scene before the camera pulls into the action, but what was hilarious was, my Dad sat there for a good 10 seconds. "Has it crashed?" he asked, expecting the next portion of cut-scene. I looked over at what he was doing and exclaimed "Move!" as a skeleton neared on his position, "This is in-game." 

A testament to the quality of God Of War III, and next-generation visuals indeed, he had absolutely no idea that the camera had pulled out of a cut-scene and into gameplay. It reminded me of some portions in Uncharted 2, where I couldn't believe I was actually in the game, and thought I was still in a cut-scene.

Has anyone else found themself move the analogue stick and go "oooooh SHIT this is in-game!??", simply because the transition from cut-scene to gameplay has been so startling?

If my story was boring, then allow me to be the first to say, "cool story, bro."

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

My Dad played about half of God Of War II. He loves video games but has a lot of difficulty with controls, namely the 3D aspect of games. He just can't get his head around operating the character movement with one stick and the camera with another. In essence - he banes the existence of the DualShock.

I recommended he play God Of War II a few years back now, simply because the game has a fixed camera and the combat is pretty accessible on lower difficulties. He really enjoyed the game but eventually gave up about 3/4s of the way through, the puzzles causing him trouble.

Despite giving up, he's maintained a lot of love for the franchise, quoting Kratos in normal speech and humming the tune. It's probably the only franchise aside from Shenmue and Zelda (he uses guides for both) that he has an active interest in. So naturally we were both very excited when my God Of War III review code arrived.

Having played through the first hour while he was at work, I decided he absolutely had to play the section. I mean, it's just bonkers amazing. So I put it on easy, reminded him of the controls and he sat down to watch the opening.

Now, if you've been reading this far you're probably going to be disappointed with the crux of my story, but here's the bit I've been building up to. At the start of God Of War III there's a brief story cut-scene before the camera pulls into the action, but what was hilarious was, my Dad sat there for a good 10 seconds. "Has it crashed?" he asked, expecting the next portion of cut-scene. I looked over at what he was doing and exclaimed "Move!" as a skeleton neared on his position, "This is in-game." 

A testament to the quality of God Of War III, and next-generation visuals indeed, he had absolutely no idea that the camera had pulled out of a cut-scene and into gameplay. It reminded me of some portions in Uncharted 2, where I couldn't believe I was actually in the game, and thought I was still in a cut-scene.

Has anyone else found themself move the analogue stick and go "oooooh SHIT this is in-game!??", simply because the transition from cut-scene to gameplay has been so startling?

If my story was boring, then allow me to be the first to say, "cool story, bro."

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

haha nice

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Interfect

Yes at the start of Uncharted 2 especially and through out the game I don't remember how many times I died because I thought it was a cut scene

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive

the same thing happened to me the first time i played MGS4. i think it was the first game to truly do this prefect transition from cut scene to gameplay. thats really funny though, your dad was probably so seriously like wtf is going?! lol

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Th3_James

Sum Gud

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pinkshley1

Uncharted 2 was a mindfuck sometimes with that kinda thing xD

miningguyx360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By miningguyx360

CANNOT WAIT TO GET THIS GAME!  

i still have my sixaxis controllers from launch and need to upgrade to dualshock 3s.

Burntlettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Burntlettuce

Thats awesome, sounds like you have a pretty cool dad. 

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Cool dad, bro.

Can't wait till Tuesday!

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Evilsbane

Yea Uncharted 2 Was the the king of this, I am just sitting there having fun watching a cutscene and then...it kinda stops and I am like..OH SHIT Time to shoot.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By lemon360

Nice story

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By CornontheCobbe

That's awesome bro. I wish my dad were into video games as much as yours is!

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Liminality

That happened to me in the first Uncharted recently.

The camera did something similar in MGS4 but since you could see the HUD you know when to play.

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blackbeard

lol, thats funny. 

yeah, this happened to me a few times in Uncharted 2. Its amazing how good these games are getting.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shirogane

I've done i before, not on this game though. Can't remember what games, but it's happened quite a lot.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Gabriel

I remember that in MGS4, when I was watching the cutscence and all of a sudden the hud popped up and I was like oh shit.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ryax

riveting tale sir

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By eric_buck

Cool dad. I tried to get my grandma to play MW 2 once hah..

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FCKSNAP

That's cool that your dad plays games with you. No one in my family likes to play games (apart from my younger sister), but everyone loves to be the Peanut Gallery whenever I play in front of them. It's usually a holiday season kinda thing though.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MetalGearSunny

You have an awesome dad. 

And I haven't had those moments, mainly because I mess with the analog sticks during cutscenes and I know I'm controling the character when shit on screen happens. =P 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By KaosAngel

...so my dad's 7-11 got copies in for his shipment today.  He's asking me if it will sell, and I say sure why not.  He watches me play the E3 Demo and just looks at me like I'm a monster or something.  I think the part that got him was when I ripped the head off...boy I can't wait for the sex mini-game!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Wow, that's awesome. I haven't played any of the game myself but from what I've seen the visuals are outstanding.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By emkeighcameron

my dad could beat up your dad

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Claude

This might sound stupid, but F.E.A.R. did this to me. I remember the first briefing, people were talking and then I happened to move my mouse. Oh shit, I moved my head. It tripped me out. I thought I was watching a cutscene.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@get2sammyb said:

"if my story was boring, then allow me to be the first to say, "cool story, bro." "

Then I will be the second

MrGtD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By MrGtD

I think that happened to everyone at the start of BioShock.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Binman88
    @Claude:  I had the exact same experience with FEAR.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kohe321

I can't say that has happened to me yet, though uncharted 2 came close. I have a feeling gow3 will do that to me, though.

Avatar image for jackbauerctu225
    JackBauerCTU225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JackBauerCTU225
    @MrGtD: You are completely right the first Bioshock did that to  me. Both Uncharted 2 and MGS4 were close. It trully is amazing to see how far games have come.
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Keeng

MGS4 did that to me really often. Also, friggin Final Fantasy XIII has some of the best moments like this one. It's an even bigger shock because it takes you straight from a cutscene to battle where you navigate menus. So it's like, "Cutscene, cutscene, giant helicopter is charging up a laser cannon, oh shit! Cast cure, cast cure!" 

Sadaiyappan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sadaiyappan

Aside from the visuals, what did your dad think of the game?

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dbz1995
    @MrGtD said:
    " I think that happened to everyone at the start of BioShock. "
    It happened to me in its demo. 
     Continue with the story of your dad. It's fascinating. Everybodwy! Its stowy time! :3
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NTM

I think if I remember. The first time I played MGS4 it happened only for a sec.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Sadaiyappan said:
    " Aside from the visuals, what did your dad think of the game? "
    He really likes it. He hasn't played much but he's a big God Of War fan. He usually plays a generation behind -- so when PS4's out and PS3's are £129, he'll probably play God Of War III then.

He's playing XBOX games at the moment.
    Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Arjuna

My father will never play a video game I'm sure...  and I'm also sure he thinks I'm blowing away time and money on video games...  My mom plays vids...  but nothing that even hints at a Mature rating, or mature content of any kind...  She plays Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Batman...  I can't be brought to play games like that because they are much too childish. 

That said, I imagine there's been a few times where I've mistaken in-game for a cutscene...  Only one comes to mind, but it doesn't really count...  Modern Warfare 2...  The moment where you are in the earth-orbit satellite, looking at the horizon.  It wasn't because of phenomenal in-game graphics that I thought it was a cut-scene, but because of the perspective.  I'm sure this was the intention of the creators.  You wouldn't imagine that you're expected to play, what with your perspective in outer-space.  I must've stared at the screen for a good 30 seconds wondering why they kept repeating, "look at this vector", or something like that, until I finally got it.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Ferginator4k

It happened to me with Uncharted 2 when i tried that at a mates place, I played the GOW3 demo but that had no moments like that for me.

XATMO92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By XATMO92

A friend of mine walked in one time while I was playing Uncharted 2 and he asked me what I was watching. A lot of times I honestly did feel more like I was watching a movie rather than playing a game.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Damian

This could never happen to me. My parents are raging 2600 fanboys.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By canucks23
    @Ferginator4k said:
    " It happened to me with Uncharted 2 when i tried that at a mates place, I played the GOW3 demo but that had no moments like that for me. "
    The demo's nothing compared to the full game graphics wise. That and there weren't really moments where that was possible in the demo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.