Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

Why God Of War III Is Not As Familiar As They Claim...

• 66 results
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @RsistncE said:
    " @Kombat: Yeah but no one interprets them as being symbolic. The vast majority of people look at it, convert it to a percentage or a score out of 100 and then whine. This is why the vast majority of gaming sites go for a 10 scale (or run the 5 point scale in 0.5 point increments). Some use the grading scale also which is again is a very good scale to use because of commonality in schooling. Either way the whole point of a review is for other people to read. If they really were just symbolic, why not just make them an arbitrary scale of 17 tacos or something? It's very clear that GB uses the 5 scale because they thought it was the perfect balance between brevity and complexity but I think they got it wrong and went just one step too far. "
    There are no 10 point scales.  I've seen 7-10 point scales, and a couple of 6-10 point scales, but rarely have I ever seen a 1-10 scale.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By RsistncE
    @Kombat: I see what you did thar.
    akzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By akzo

I've played all three previous games and they’re amongst my all time favorites.  Of the last generation games, GOW I and II were in my opinion the best looking.  My jaw dropped when I saw what they were able to do with the PS2 hardware.  Chains of Olympus looked very close to the quality of the PS2 games.  The only PSP game I can remember finishing. 

GOW III looks better, and there were scenes that dropped my jaw even further (I am now playing it on a larger TV in HD).  A lot of attention has been paid to how good K's character model looks.  His model has always looked outstanding and I really didn't notice a difference.  The improved animations of the bosses and mini-bosses were much better than previous games.  The brutal finishes have always been a nice touch, but are more impressive in clips online when you’re not staring at your next button prompt.

Per the review, I'm not sure why there were two chain based knife weapons.  They have different combos, and one has slightly more distance but I didn't see much of a difference.  There was some new magic and the stone gloves (from Chains if you didn't know) that I liked, but mostly more of the same.  Kratos did seem like

In the end GOW III, just like its predecessors, is one of the best looking and playing games that I've experienced.  The side characters, cut scenes and story in general were top notch.  Kratos was pretty much a one dimensional angry D-Bag. 

In the end there might be one or two other games this year that I will like more, but I enjoyed every minute of playing it.  Well worth the money.    

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#54  Edited By Icemael
    @RsistncE said:

" @Icemael: No, no, I understand the written review is important for a more detailed understanding of the game, we're just saying that using a 5 scale scoring system is nonsensical. Society uses 100 as a number for totality as a reason. That's why 10 point systems are so popular, it's just one decimal point dropped off but gets the point across just as well. 5 point scales are far more arbitrary and cut number of allowable scores (by whole numbers) in half. I just feel that 10 point is about as simple as it should go and is far more effective at letting someone know if a game is good or bad just by glancing at it. "

A 5 point scale is more than large enough to "let someone know if a game is good or bad just by glancing at it". Check the site's FAQ: 

While we don't believe any game is perfect, we recommend this game without reservation.

Still very good and easy to recommend, though it doesn't quite live up to its full potential.

The halfway point. An inherent appreciation of this game's specific gameplay style, characters, subject matter, and so on may play as big a role in your enjoyment as the actual quality of the game.

This game's problems outweigh its good qualities.

This game will make you wish you had died in a fire moments before turning it on. 

Do you really need -- do you really want -- more information than that from a score? Because I sure as hell don't.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By RsistncE
    @Icemael: Like I said to me a 5 point scale is too arbitrary due to a 20% difference margin between scores. That's a huge margin that doesn't really place those games properly within that girth. Either way that's fine if you like it, I still stand by my points though.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By PillClinton
      @Kombat said:
    " @RsistncE said:

" @100_Hertz said:

" @RsistncE:   no but seriously.  just a simple 1-10 scoring system (no decimal points like gt and ign...ugh don't even get me started on ign) would be SO much more telling of a game's quality than the current 1-5 system, which, c'mon on guys you all know it's true, is vague as fuck. "
    I agree. My limit is 0.5 increments. "
    They have DESCRIPTIONS on the site of what each score means.  It's not vague AT ALL.  It's especially not vague if you READ THE REVIEW, because the text within tells you EXACTLY what the score means. "
    Ok, so let's just disregard the written reviews for a second here.  Pretend you're an illiterate video game enthusiast and you're looking through Giant Bomb's review scores.  What's the difference between GOW3 and Darksiders, for example?  They both got 4 stars.

You see, it is rather vague seeing as GOW3 is undoubtedly a tighter, more well-crafted game than Darksiders, yet they both get the same review score.  And do you honestly think GOW3 is deserving of an 80% score?  Or Darksiders for that matter?
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By LiquidPrince

Agreed.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By PillClinton

@Icemael said:

" @RsistncE said:

" @Icemael: No, no, I understand the written review is important for a more detailed understanding of the game, we're just saying that using a 5 scale scoring system is nonsensical. Society uses 100 as a number for totality as a reason. That's why 10 point systems are so popular, it's just one decimal point dropped off but gets the point across just as well. 5 point scales are far more arbitrary and cut number of allowable scores (by whole numbers) in half. I just feel that 10 point is about as simple as it should go and is far more effective at letting someone know if a game is good or bad just by glancing at it. "

A 5 point scale is more than large enough to "let someone know if a game is good or bad just by glancing at it". Check the site's FAQ: 

While we don't believe any game is perfect, we recommend this game without reservation.

Still very good and easy to recommend, though it doesn't quite live up to its full potential.

The halfway point. An inherent appreciation of this game's specific gameplay style, characters, subject matter, and so on may play as big a role in your enjoyment as the actual quality of the game.

This game's problems outweigh its good qualities.

This game will make you wish you had died in a fire moments before turning it on. 

Do you really need -- do you really want -- more information than that from a score? Because I sure as hell don't. "

Dude, you just like disagreeing with people.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Icemael
    @100_Hertz said:

"   @Kombat said:

" @RsistncE said:

" @100_Hertz said:

" @RsistncE:   no but seriously.  just a simple 1-10 scoring system (no decimal points like gt and ign...ugh don't even get me started on ign) would be SO much more telling of a game's quality than the current 1-5 system, which, c'mon on guys you all know it's true, is vague as fuck. "
    They have DESCRIPTIONS on the site of what each score means.  It's not vague AT ALL.  It's especially not vague if you READ THE REVIEW, because the text within tells you EXACTLY what the score means. "
    Ok, so let's just disregard the written reviews for a second here.  Pretend you're an illiterate video game enthusiast and you're looking through Giant Bomb's review scores.  What's the difference between GOW3 and Darksiders, for example?  They both got 4 stars.  You see, it is rather vague seeing as GOW3 is undoubtedly a tighter, more well-crafted game than Darksiders, yet they both get the same review score.  And do you honestly think GOW3 is deserving of an 80% score?  Or Darksiders for that matter? "
    See, that argument doesn't work, because an illiterate person can't reach GiantBomb's review section without help from a literate person. It's like saying "Pretend you're a blind video game enthusiast and you're checking out the review scores at a site with a 1-10 scale. What's the difference between Super Mario Galaxy and Half-Life 2, for example? You can't see either game's score."

Also, four stars doesn't translate to 80%. It can mean anything from a strong 7/10 to a weak 9/10. And guess what? If you want to know which it is, you can just read the fucking review. That's what it's there for; what you're doing is comparable to looking at the title of an article, and going "This title is too vague. I need it to be at least two paragraphs long. What do you mean, 'read the article'? Let's just disregard the article for a second. Pretend you're uncapable of reading actual articles, and you're looking through the site's article titles. You won't get a good enough idea of the exact content of the articles with titles this short."

@100_Hertz said: 

"Dude, you just like disagreeing with people."

That doesn't sound very convincing coming from a guy who has spent half of his posts in this thread disagreeing with people.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By get2sammyb

This thread has been derailed into a discussion of review scores rather than the actual product. Disappointing. However, I'm partly to blame - I should have given this thread a different title.

Still...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Lambert: Way to not read any of my points and come up with totally generic and unconvincing statements to counter them. You may disagree with me, that's fine, but surely you can come up with a more considered response than that?
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Binman88

I'm finding the controls to be a little bit unresponsive, probably by design. Jumping out of a dodge roll being the most annoying. It doesn't feel snappy enough, and also being unable to dodge quickly enough while Kratos is finishing off a particular attack he was performing lead me to frequently lose any fluidity or rhythm I had going with a particular battle, often leading to my death, forcing me to restart and play the game more by trial and error. 

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#63  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @100_Hertz said:
    "   @Kombat said:
    " @RsistncE said:

" @100_Hertz said:

Ok, so let's just disregard the written reviews for a second here.  Pretend you're an illiterate video game enthusiast and you're looking through Giant Bomb's review scores.  What's the difference between GOW3 and Darksiders, for example?  They both got 4 stars.  You see, it is rather vague seeing as GOW3 is undoubtedly a tighter, more well-crafted game than Darksiders, yet they both get the same review score.  And do you honestly think GOW3 is deserving of an 80% score?  Or Darksiders for that matter? "  
    First off, it's not an 80% score.  It's a score of 4 stars.  It's symbolic, and isn't at all meant to be converted to another method of scoring.  If it were, then they'd have started off using that system.   

Second off, does it matter if I believe God of War 3 or Darksiders to be "only" 4 star games?  No.  Because it's the opinion of the reviewer.  He shouldn't change HIS opinion because I have a problem with it.  That's just stupid.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By PillClinton
    @Icemael said:

@100_Hertz said: 

"Dude, you just like disagreeing with people."

That doesn't sound very convincing coming from a guy who has spent half of his posts in this thread disagreeing with people. "

Touché
    popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By popmasterruler
    @Icemael: 

Until you've played on titan in the moving cube section or the three judges with the fire cerberus,exploding puppys and satyrs and the scorpion fight (just a handful of examples,I could list more but I don't want to give away spoilers)you have no idea what you're talking about.Play Titan mode and then get back to me.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Icemael
    @popmasterruler said:

" @Icemael:    Until you've played on titan in the moving cube section or the three judges with the fire cerberus,exploding puppys and satyrs and the scorpion fight (just a handful of examples,I could list more but I don't want to give away spoilers)you have no idea what you're talking about.Play Titan mode and then get back to me. "

@Icemael said: 

"I'd love to play on a harder difficulty level, if the combat was good. It's not. Avoiding enemy attacks is really easy, and playing on Titan or Chaos wouldn't make it any harder; it would only force me to press the square button a whole lot more, and die a ton in the segments where the screen is so full of shit and the camera so poorly positioned, I can't see what I'm doing."   

A game's combat doesn't suddenly become better when the enemies have more health and do more damage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.