Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gods Will Be Watching

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released April 2013

Torture, hostage situations, cannibalism and more await Sergeant Burden and his Everdusk team in this point and click thriller from Spanish developer Deconstructeam.

Gods Will Be Watching, But They've Chilled Out

• 60 results
    JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

One click too far...

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm honestly glad they revisited the difficulty (the chance events mostly) of the game. With such an well written story it would be a shame if people missed out just because of the 'luck of the draw' so to speak. I also really appreciate the not hand holding experience the game provides. All games are not for everyone and trying to make them appeal to everyone is a fruitless and sad endeavor. Kudos for the article/interview Patrick! Keep up the great work. =)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By ripelivejam

i should really get this. love the art style to fucking bits.

also gods will be watching.... co-mander...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i should really get this. love the art style to fucking bits.

@slowbird said:

WHY DO PEOPLE JUDGE EACH OTHER OVER THEIR PERCEIVED VIDEO GAME SKILL?

ALL DIFFICULTY LEVELS ARE VALID. EASY IS BEST FOR SOME. HARD IS BEST FOR SOME. NONE IS "RIGHT" OR "WRONG" STOP JUDGING AND JUST PLAY.

[/rant]

this x1000 and what i want to scream at a select few Dark Souls fans. maybe less caps though.

ELincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can appreciate difficulty in games, but I don't get the nostalgia for old-school quarter sucking unfairness. If I fail in a challenging game I want it to be because I fucked up, not because the rng was being uncooperative.

key_skills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved this game.

The Russian roulette sequence was the only random aspect of the game which really frustrated me. Having it about 30 - 40 mins into the level meant a good few hours wasted to a 1 in 7 chance.

I'm not sure what they've done about that sequence in the update. It'd be interesting to play it again.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By Player1

Great article Patrick.

After my initial experience with the game I just (sadly) accepted the fact that I wasn't cut out for this game. Can't wait to be able to give this game another go in one of the easier modes.

mangopup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

@hailinel said:

Basing difficulty on invisible die rolls does not strike me as an ideal way to implement challenge. It discourages learning from trial and error by leaning too heavily on random elements. What the game ideally needed was better puzzle design that didn't require random elements to be challenging.

I felt it actually worked so well precisely because it was random chance - it encouraged the player to be elastic with his moral compass. Once you start getting out of the mindset that you are saving everyone and start cutting corners, the way its puzzles are structured starts making sense.

On its intended difficulty, it's not a game about finding the perfect sequence. It's a game of "where can I compromise my morals to get by and feel the least shitty about it". It clicked to me early on when I made a promise to be sexist and not be aggressive with the female hostage. I ended up finishing that chapter by shooting her in the leg so I wouldn't have to handle both kicking her so she wouldn't get too cocky and negotiating with the SWAT team.

It's kind of brilliant, because most games rarely make your moral choices to be something else than sociopath/saint or Hitler/Stalin, let alone forcing you to be practical about the shit you do. It doesn't appeal to everyone, but to me the choice for the game to be about so many random elements that they make you cut corners to even finish a segment is genius.

I agree with you to an extent, but then you get randomly shot 3-4 times in a row on the first, second, or third round and you basically wasted 2 hours because of RNG.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@player1 said:

Great article Patrick.

After my initial experience with the game I just (sadly) accepted the fact that I wasn't cut out for this game. Can't wait to be able to give this game another go in one of the easier modes.

I think it's very important to note that it was this game that wasn't cut out for most people, and not the other way around. It's actually very refreshing that thanks to these changes a lot of people are coming out of the woodwork and willing to give it another shot after inevitably hitting a wall of frustration that simply wasn't worth the trouble to overcome.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

@ghostiet: You can put a player in a no win situation without resorting to chance based difficulty. The film The Dark Knight was all about the Joker creating no win situations where no matter what you did you ended up the villain. You can put similar mechanics in a game. You have 1 minute to beat the level but there are two hostages that need to be saved. The hostages each take 30 seconds to get to in the opposite directions when going at your fastest speeds. You only have time to save one. Choose. You've now put the player in a no win situation. The Walking Dead (at least the first season, I haven't played the second) puts in quite a few situations where no matter what you do you fail in some way. And, again, there is no chance to it. Another way you could do it in this style of game would be to have limited resources with no chance of winning unless you sacrifice someone to get more or preserve what you have. By making it impossible to do without sacrifice you can achieve the same goal while making gameplay fair.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.