Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Godus

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released 2014

Independently developed by 22Cans, Godus marks Peter Molyneux's return to the god-genre he helped create.

First impressions

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#1  Edited By Kidavenger

I played this for about 6 hours last night (completely lost track of time); I liked it, but the more I played it the more it felt like a free to play game that I had been tricked into buying.

The pace of the game really slows down the further in you get, this may be different for everyone, but I reached the point where there was a massive wall of mountains that completely stopped the expansion of my civilization.

The terrain sculpting really sucks, it's extremely limited how much you can move with a single swipe of the mouse and it's extremely inconsistent so you end up clickclickclicking like crazy, I can see that this game would probably be much better on a tablet; I can also see that this will probably be improved before the game actually comes out, as it stands now, it's a core mechanic of the game that really feels like a chore.

This game is nothing but alot of clicking, you thought The Simpsons: Tapped Out was a clickfest, it has nothing on this game, click on trees and rocks to clear the land, click all over the land to make flat areas for your people to build on, click on those buildings to wake up your people and collect their faith click click clickitty click click, I don't think I've ever clicked so much in my life.

The camera controls are broken right now, you can rotate the camera but as soon as you do anything else the camera rotates back to it's original orientation, I'm sure this will be fixed at some point, it's not unplayable but it is very annoying, you also can't rotate the camera with the mouse, I could have probably set up some keybinds to do this but it should be a default setting.

The "pvp" is only against AI right now from what I can tell but they have it programmed as if you are in a lobby talking to a really person before the match starts, its a girl and a big picture of her face pops up on your screen and she starts giggling about how she doesn't know how to play the game, it's kind of creepy.

The Steam overlay isn't functioning right now, so all those screenshots I thought I was taking never happened and Steam didn't track my play time or give me cards, there was a set of ruins that my people repaired that opened up a Steam matchmaking window so they do have some Steam hooks in there, just not finished yet it seems.

The main issue that I can see being the downfall for this game, at least as far as gamers are concerned, is that it's not particularly strategic, you have very little control over your followers and everything else is just alot of clicking, you don't really choose what you are clicking on, you are just clicking on everything so after awhile it seems really silly.

I'm going to keep playing it, most of the problems seem like easy fixes and it could be pretty good once it's officially released.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Sounds like I'm waiting for the real release for sure.

Thanks for the impressions though, good read.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yeah, i havent played it cause from what I've seen of it being played 19 euros seems too much for this game.

Im pretty sure the camera rotation is meant to be like that i seem to remember Peter M saying it's so you don't lose track of where you are. Seems they could have solved that by letting you hit a button to return to default view tho.... It's so annoying when peple make stupid game design dicitions and stick by them.

This game is now in beta and have beeen playable for backers in alpha for some time, Without me having researched it, i really doubt the "testers" have much of a say at all. It seems they highlight changes they are already making by saying it's something people asked for.

Peter M also keeps saying how much he likes having to click every belief orb to collect it....

Clickfests gets so tedious..

I will proapbly check it out when it's more finished, though, it being a beta should mean there wouldnt be any new cool features added gameplay wise...

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Hmm interesting. Maybe I will wait then. It is pretty early on in development to be fair.

Avatar image for davegoestomayor
    davegoestomayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey everybody, heed these warnings...save your $15 and save your mouse.....this is a CLICKFEST....you are not missing anything, stay tuned, but it is not worth your time or money to pay for early access. This game is built with tedium and mind. You click waaaaaayyyy to much, sculpting is intentionally made arduous, this is actually being developed as a tablet game with grind baked in so that you can pay real money to remove the pain.....fuck 22cans.

ElAcordeonachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

REMEMBER, this is early access. A Beta by another name. Right on the game startup screen they let you know that the game at this point is only 40% done. If you don't want to deal with a game early in development, don't get it. Have patience, grasshopper. At least there's a game here. Star Citizen's first release is a hanger bay you can walk around in. Oooh...

Yep, this game is indeed a clickfest. As was the original Populous. If you didn't like Populous, don't get it. If you did, you'll probably like this. Remember, early access. So on the main map there is no enemy. Pure building, exploration, encouraging population growth, etc. There are a few Populous style battles against an AI that have weird scripted "conversations" with you. They're easy to beat.

There is NO cash shop. ZERO. LESS THAN ANY. ONE MINUS ONE. Yep, there is an additional currency, gems, which you can use to progress faster. You start out with 100 of them. You get more for beating the AI multiplayer in scripted battles. You get more if you manage to get the mining skill. THERE IS NO WAY TO ACTUALLY PURCHASE THEM.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elacordeonachi: I'm not being a dick but there were a few inaccuracies in what you said. A beta is a feature complete game that is being polished, this is not feature complete. This is only 40% done, so the fact that they call it a beta is very misleading. Another thing is that I loved Populus, it was a really good, smart game. This is neither of these things so far ( note: i don't own it, I played it at a friends).

As a side note, this is going to be a free to play game on mobile devices, why anyone is playing 20quid for an alpha build of a F2P game makes no sense to me what so ever. Just wait and then get it for free. Whether or not there will be no cash shop in the final build remains to be seen. I fear that this is going to be another one of Molyneux's giant piles of fucking bull shit. The man hasn't done anything interesting since the Bullfrog days and those days are long gone, people need to stop supporting this fucking shyster.

ElAcordeonachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ElAcordeonachi

A beta is feature complete? I don't think I've ever played a feature complete beta... Maybe Alpha would have been a better term to use. Anyway, semantics. Guess I don't know the right technical terms. The use of "beta" was mine, not theirs. Although I may have heard someone on Rock, Paper, Shotgun use it this way as well. Sorry if I used it incorrectly. Regardless, on the store page of this game, Steam clearly lets you know what you're in for.

"Early access game. Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops"

No one is trying to scam anyone. You don't want to play an incomplete game, wait.

On a side note, you know what I can't imagine? Playing this on a mobile device. Because of the clicks. I also can't imagine playing Populous or any other click heavy game like Starcraft or Diablo on one. That way lies madness. But maybe they'll figure it out. Like they say, only 40% done and the mobile version hasn't even started yet.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was not impressed with what i saw of the game. It seems a bit of a high asking price for a game that is half done that seem very simple right now. If you paying for faith or just to fund the game than great, otherwise i would wait for the full game.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I'm still playing this, as simple and silly as it is, this game is particularly good for playing while doing other things, I generally have a hard time playing a game and listening to podcasts without completely zoning out one or the other, not a problem here, simple isn't always bad, I think this is a decent passive game, it's definitely not worth $20 right now, and I have a hard time imagining this game getting much better but it's infinitely better than the majority of the games it will be competing with. I think this will be a good game to recommend to people that play Facebook games now (do people still do that?), and feel good about getting them to play something that could actually be considered a game.

cretor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was banned from the Godus steam forums because I do not like the game. The individual banning me specifically stated that I was banned for not liking the game. Interestingly, the banning came right after I made the following review on the game:

This game can be fun for an hour or two, however, be aware that the game does not represent the images provided, or the video shown, or the description given. It is not a god game but a management game. 22cans does not appreciate or respect the steam community, we are second class clients not welcome on their official game forum. Only kickstarters and devs are allowed on the official game forum.

This game is not an actual pc game, but is being designed for eventual release as a mobile game. Buildings in the game are designed to take more and more time to construct as you advance so you will eventually have to pay real money for gems in order to speed up construction.

Below is an IGN Rating of the game:

This is the kind of bland, unremarkable game we’ve mostly forgotten about a day after we finish playing. A mediocre game isn’t something you should spend your time or money on if you consider either to be precious, but they’ll pass the time if you have nothing better to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.