Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Godus

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released 2014

Independently developed by 22Cans, Godus marks Peter Molyneux's return to the god-genre he helped create.

This may end up being damn good

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By zFUBARz

So I played pretty much all night when I saw that it had come out on early access.

First off there are some problems. The controls are a tiny bit clunky and terrain deformation is slow right now. They really need a graduated system where pulling more/farther makes a larger difference. Which will probably come.

With that in mind though... I really had fun. The progression is fun and feels meaningful. Like larger huts, materials, mining, settlements that build roads and auto collect faith for you. Its pretty cool, and I can see a lot of good coming from it.

I enjoyed the faux multiplayer, even if the fake player characters are a bit creepy. Its not about fine unit control. More about terrain control, expanding, creating short cuts and plateaus and getting to advantageous positions before your opponent. Its an interesting take on an RTS and I'm curious to see how it comes along.

It won't be for everyone, but if you liked black and white, populous, hell maybe even the Anno series it's definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I've been tempted to try it out for some weird reason. Maybe that god game itch needs scratching, but then I'm reminded of Black & White and how much I fucking hate that game.

And that's why I'm not going to buy Godus. Y'all can gift me a copy if you so desire, but I'm not touching that game.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol that's fair. I enjoyed my time with black and white but then it was still the second biggest disappointment of my gaming life. Fable being the first... Ahh to be young and naive again.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They keep spelling "civilization" as "civilisation" on their Steam page, which made me not want to look at it.

Almost as if the game were made by British devs...

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: I did not realize that was a proper way to spell it. My bad I guess. It just looks really, really weird to me.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By benpicko

They keep spelling "civilization" as "civilisation" on their Steam page, which made me not want to look at it.

But that's how you spell it

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Except that spelling is only wrong to people in America. A large portion of the world spells the word with an "S." Its like how American english dropped the letter "U," from a lot of words like, "Favour," or "Colour."

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By captain_max707

Man, lots of flack. I apologize if I offended anyone, and I certainly didn't mean to steer the conversation away from what the thread was made for.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I don't know if y'all noticed but the U.S. is Numero Uno!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think it looks great, but I will wait for a final release. I can't handle the early release cycle of playing a game, getting a new update and having to relearn new stuff. It sounds great in theory, it is like a new experience every time, but I prefer a final product.

Regardless, @zfubarz how does it control? I saw an earlier video and I thought it looked really... bulky I guess? I was worried it being built for tablet and PC might make the controls seem weird.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Jedted

This game is strangely addictive, kinda in the same vein as Kingdom for Keflings. I see a lot of folks dismissing it as another Facebook game(w/ microtransactions and all that) but it remains to be seen what kind of mechanics will be in the later ages.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully: Oh for sure, wait for the final release around the corner, there's no real benefit to getting it early other than maybe saving 5 bucks. Like I said though it's worth watching for sure. As for the controls, they work just fine, it's not a fast game by any means, but some key binds would really be helpful for a couple things (like shift click to cliff sculpt) Hell they might be in there I just haven't found them yet.

So the main problem is that you can only do so much land sculpting (their term) in a single action, so I might want to carve a path in a mountain, so rather than just drawing a line through it, and damn the consequences to my resources, I can only move things a few spaces at a time, or just rapidly click my way through it, which is counter intuitive since there's a click and drag option that should let you do what I said before, but that does almost nothing either. If they tweak those things the controls will be just fine.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear it. I'll buy it when it's done.

oobermench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oobermench

Yes you can cliff sculpt later in the game. It's very helpful when you are trying to expand your settlements by the waters

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now I'm sort of stuck in the expansion phase. I've got four towns and about 1300 people but I need a few more resources to get stone cottages and I cant find any at the moment. I've got my guys digging up 4 different shrines which will probably expand my area of influence but they are taking forever to do it. I'm not sure if the game is glitched and the guys will never finish the shrines or if it's just taking a progressively longer and longer time to excavate them. It's super late here but I quite enjoyed my time with the game. The fake 'enemy' players weirded me out though ha ha.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

@rollingzeppelin: It does take longer and longer. If you hold right-mouse click on buildings you get the timer for how long you need to wait for new people, belief, building time etc. Some of the shrines I have gotten to takes at least an hour to build...

That is one of my gripes about this so far. I guess you need something to slow down the pace of expansion, but I felt the landscape alone does that once you get further inland.
    It also seems the contents of the chests are randomized, which means I got mostly unusable stuff, instead of what I need for the mining card.

But I too think this can turn out to be a damned good game!

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I think I've made it as far as I can, I've found every expansion shrine and cannot find any more resources, I cant do any more vs matches as I need to be in the next age to continue. I finally got mining and completely mined out the only vein I found which gave me enough gems for two more cities.

At the end I started fucking around with exploration statues and meteorites. trying to see just how many followers I could get to gather at one point and then nuking them all, it's a very shocking sight when you do it! So many flying bodies and flaming trees. I found that if you place statues too close to settlement centres it will stop the centres from collecting belief which suuuucks, the only way to fix it is to destroy the settlement centre and rebuild it, something which I cant to because of limited gems. I wound up breaking three of my cities, which is why I started to go into rampage mode.

It was fun, I hope they fix that bug with the next update and allow us to progress further in the game.

oobermench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've found that before they updated it, the veins would regenerate after a while. I've mined about 1000 gems out of it

Mezri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How were you able to get the last of the coal you needed for the mining advancement? I was only able to attain 1, so I still need 4! Are the rewards in the chests/from the AI battles random or am I just not seeing 4 sneaky chests?

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zFUBARz

They seem to be fairly random, Also I haven't tried it yet but can't you just play against human players and win random cards from them?

Mezri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are AI you play against and they are limited to 20 battles in total. There are also limitations as to what age you have to be to play.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Nictel

You can buy cards with gems but I haven't found a good way to increase the gems you have. I can't get enough cards for the mining so I am essentially stuck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.