Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Godus

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released 2014

Independently developed by 22Cans, Godus marks Peter Molyneux's return to the god-genre he helped create.

This was the best game I saw at PAX

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

The panel just said "Storytime with Peter Molyneux" and I said to my friend "it's probably just going to be him talking his bullshit iOS game."

Not only was I complexity wrong about Godus being an iOS game, it ended up being the most impressive thing I saw at PAX.

You can get it on Steam Early Access right now.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Are you Peter Molyneux? You have to tell us if you are.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: imagine if it ended up being true that YOU were Peter Molyneux! These are the kind of ideas we can expect to see from 22cans.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

The rule of thumb when looking forward to a Molyneux game is to keep your expectations in check and never allow the hype to carry you. You will be disappointed otherwise.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: imagine if it ended up being true that YOU were Peter Molyneux! These are the kind of ideas we can expect to see from 22cans.

GASP.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShaggE

We're ALL Peter Molyneux, don't you see? THAT is the 22nd can.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I bought it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I didn't know it was early access already.... hesitant to do that, but I love me some Pete Molyneux games. Big fan of him. Glad it looked good though either way.

Top seller on Steam right now too.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It wasn't the best game I saw at PAX, but I did think it looked great. I'll be picking it up.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By ModernAlkemie

I generally dislike buying early access games. However, I did enjoy what I saw on the Steam page, and I'll keep an eager eye on the game as it develops.

Avatar image for davegoestomayor
    davegoestomayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Peter got us again :'( ....this game is a grindy ass click fest.....literally you will click your mass probably 6000-10000. In lieu of game play they have you click on the same shit over and over and over and over again to get your god power to progress. This thing was clearly made with F2P and Tablets in mind, so far I'm a disappointed backer.

Avatar image for davegoestomayor
    davegoestomayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By davegoestomayor

Peter got us again :'( ....this game is a grindy ass click fest.....literally you will click your mouse probably 6000-10000 in the 1st hour alone. In lieu of game play they have you click on the same shit over and over and over and over again to get your god power to progress. This thing was clearly made with F2P and Tablets in mind, so far I'm a disappointed backer.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it for like 3+ hours last night. It's *pretty* good.

*collects cheque*

(that's how Peter and I spell it)

Cakeface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks great, will give it a try

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep in mind its only 40% done.

Peter got us again :'( ....this game is a grindy ass click fest.....literally you will click your mass probably 6000-10000. In lieu of game play they have you click on the same shit over and over and over and over again to get your god power to progress. This thing was clearly made with F2P and Tablets in mind, so far I'm a disappointed backer.

PC version will NOT have micro transactions.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't wanna throw superlatives around, but after having played through what's in the early access so far I could easily see this game being the game that out-minecrafts minecraft. Unfortunately it cuts off just before things gets really interesting though, so there's still a great chance of getting molyneux'ed again. Still I had the same exact experience I had the first time I played minecraft, went in knowing little about the game or what to do and hours later I was left wondering what just happened. I even forgot about the midnight launch of GTA 5.

The game is by no means a god game though (as it implies), it's much more inspired by (as mentioned) minecraft as a sandbox for creativity. It follows many of the same ideas, like not having any specific goal and encouraging exploration and experimentation. If you're expecting the more traditional RTS-style gameplay it's not that kinda game, although the "multiplayer" that's in so far implies they might want to take it that way.

There's still a ton of work left to be done on the game, but there is a brilliance to the core idea here. The only question now is if Molyneux will stand in it's way or not. (also, the supposed 40% completion-rate seems quite generous.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ares42 said:

I don't wanna throw superlatives around, but after having played through what's in the early access so far I could easily see this game being the game that out-minecrafts minecraft. Unfortunately it cuts off just before things gets really interesting though, so there's still a great chance of getting molyneux'ed again. Still I had the same exact experience I had the first time I played minecraft, went in knowing little about the game or what to do and hours later I was left wondering what just happened. I even forgot about the midnight launch of GTA 5.

The game is by no means a god game though (as it implies), it's much more inspired by (as mentioned) minecraft as a sandbox for creativity. It follows many of the same ideas, like not having any specific goal and encouraging exploration and experimentation. If you're expecting the more traditional RTS-style gameplay it's not that kinda game, although the "multiplayer" that's in so far implies they might want to take it that way.

There's still a ton of work left to be done on the game, but there is a brilliance to the core idea here. The only question now is if Molyneux will stand in it's way or not. (also, the supposed 40% completion-rate seems quite generous.)

Wait... what? How on earth is this game in any way like Minecraft? It's not even remotely similar.

edit: Sorry, I sounded like a massive douche there.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann: It might not be super obvious, but they're both games about meticulously shaping a world. In minecraft you do it brick by brick, in Godus you do it voxel by voxel. Sure, you can't build castles or silly Mario statues in Godus, but you can move mountains, create canyons etc. They are also both games about exploring a world, finding resources and using them to enhance your tools.

I'm not saying they're the same game, but it's the same kinda experience of getting lost while trying to create something you enjoy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.