Best rpgs on GOG besides Baulders Gate

#1 Posted by Chocobodude3 (1096 posts) -

I would like to know

#2 Posted by reptilia_kun (85 posts) -

the original fallout 1 and 2? and i put question mark because i never played them, i was probably 5 when they came out but i'm a huge fan of the later iterations: Fallout 3 and New Vegas

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (13303 posts) -

Fallout!
I've also heard good things about Planescape Torment, but I haven't played it yet....

#4 Edited by coaxmetal (1742 posts) -

Planescape: Torment is one of the best RPG's of all time, imo (my favorite game, in fact) and was recently added to GoG. If you like Baldur's Gate, odds are you will also enjoy torment, since it is also an infinity engine game, and made by Black Isle like Fallout 1 and 2. (which are also there, as reptilia_kun pointed out, and also great).  

Edit: dang, beaten to mentioning Torment. Well, in any case, play it.

#5 Edited by MonetaryDread (2403 posts) -

Icewind Dale is fun, it's like a cross between Baulders Gate and Diablo.
Gothic 2 is worth a shot if you enjoy Bethesda style RPG's
Stonekeep is a fun first person dungeon crawler that was overlooked back in the day.  (made by the man who created Fallout)
Vampire: The Masquerade is worth every penny.

#6 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3629 posts) -
@reptilia_kun said:
" the original fallout 1 and 2? and i put question mark because i never played them, i was probably 5 when they came out but i'm a huge fan of the later iterations: Fallout 3 and New Vegas "
Yup.
@BeachThunder said:
" Fallout! I've also heard good things about Planescape Torment, but I haven't played it yet.... "
Yes.
@Riboflavin said:
" Planescape: Torment is one of the best RPG's of all time, imo (my favorite game, in fact) and was recently added to GoG. If you like Baldur's Gate, odds are you will also enjoy torment, since it is also an infinity engine game, and made by Black Isle like Fallout 1 and 2. (which are also there, as reptilia_kun pointed out, and also great).   Edit: dang, beaten to mentioning Torment. Well, in any case, play it. "
Yeppers.
#7 Posted by august (3922 posts) -

Fallout
Torment
Fallout 2

#8 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3629 posts) -
@august said:
" Fallout 
Torment 
Fallout 2 "
Also, YES.
#9 Edited by AndrewB (7782 posts) -

I hear great things about Arcanum, though I haven't ever been able to get much past the opening area before putting it away because the character creation system is daunting and the game plays in such a horribly low resolution (I have the same issue with Fallout, actually). At least with Baldur's Gate you have the option of hacking in higher resolutions and widescreen support with tools created by modders.

#10 Edited by coaxmetal (1742 posts) -
@AndrewB said:

" I hear great things about Arcanum, though I haven't ever been able to get much past the opening area before putting it away because the character creation system is daunting and the game plays in such a horribly low resolution (I have the same issue with Fallout, actually). At least with Baldur's Gate you have the option of hacking in higher resolutions and widescreen support with tools created by modders. "

you can hack higher resolutions with Torment as well, since it runs on the same engine as the BG games. There are also fan-made resolution patches for the Fallout games.
#11 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7597 posts) -

Definitely Planescape Torment.
Also tempted to say Neverwinter Nights, but the main game wasn't particularly interesting..  the expansions are far better though and it's worth playing if you're into Baldur's Gate and Planescape, etc.

#12 Posted by HaroldoNVU (623 posts) -

I agree with most of thoses mentioned and I'd add Temple of Elemental Evil. While the plot is not so great it's one of the most faithful adaptations of D&D 3.5 ruleset and is cheaper than other D&D games on GOG. Besides, it's not set in Forgotten Realms like most D&D games from that time, so it's a plus if you're a little sick of Faerûn.

#13 Posted by strangone (189 posts) -

Definitely get Planescape Torment. GOG recently put up a mod guide on the website too, which is awesome because a few mods really improve the experience.

#14 Posted by AndrewB (7782 posts) -
@Riboflavin said:
" @AndrewB said:

" I hear great things about Arcanum, though I haven't ever been able to get much past the opening area before putting it away because the character creation system is daunting and the game plays in such a horribly low resolution (I have the same issue with Fallout, actually). At least with Baldur's Gate you have the option of hacking in higher resolutions and widescreen support with tools created by modders. "

you can hack higher resolutions with Torment as well, since it runs on the same engine as the BG games. There are also fan-made resolution patches for the Fallout games. "
And Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2 (whenever BG2 makes it to GOG). Then you could even go as far as playing the Baldur's Gate 1 to Baldur's Gate 2 engine conversion for an enhanced playthrough of the original game, although I'd recommend at least playing through the original once because the difficulty is sort of lost in the translation (at least, from my experience).
#15 Posted by Nettacki (1332 posts) -

Two Worlds doesn't seem too bad, as well as all the other CRPGs that have already been mentioned here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.