Good Old Game closing down is not a business stunt.

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

So as you may know GOG.com is closing down, however many people think that this is a stunt from going from Beta to full version..it is not. If you check out the site http://www.gog.com/ you will see an update which says - 

UPDATE 20.09.2010
First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.  

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.  

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to   update_media@gog.com   if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com   if you're a user without a GOG account.  

'' Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.'' That pretty much confirms it is not a stunt. 

It is unfortunate, I know.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36004 posts) -

Wow, after finding out what the hell they are, I'm kinda sad that they're gone.

#3 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

What is GOG?

#4 Posted by The_Joker (219 posts) -

Now what will Epic Battle Cry give away?

That is a semi-serious question.

#5 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" What is GOG? "
It is a service that sold old PC games DRM - free.
#6 Posted by BeachThunder (11697 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" What is GOG? "
Baby don't hurt me.
#7 Posted by TwoLines (2788 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" @TheSeductiveMoose said:
" What is GOG? "
Baby don't hurt me. "
Baby don't hurt me.
#8 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

I had no idea this service even existed.  That sucks almost as much as it closing down. 
#9 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

One word: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

#10 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

Sounds to me like they're going to announce the new service Wednesday then launch it Thursday. It still doesn't explicitly state that they're shutting down for good.

#11 Posted by TwoLines (2788 posts) -
@LordAndrew: 
Fingers crossed.
I still have to buy Masters of Orion 1+2.
#12 Posted by BeachThunder (11697 posts) -
@TwoLines said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" What is GOG? "
Baby don't hurt me. "
Baby don't hurt me. "
Don't hurt me, no more.

@LordAndrew said:
" Sounds to me like they're going to announce the new service Wednesday then launch it Thursday."
Crappy Old Games? :(
#13 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@TwoLines said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" What is GOG? "
Baby don't hurt me. "
Baby don't hurt me. "
No more.
#14 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -
@TwoLines said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" What is GOG? "
Baby don't hurt me. "
Baby don't hurt me. "
no more
#15 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@BeachThunder said: 
@LordAndrew said:
" Sounds to me like they're going to announce the new service Wednesday then launch it Thursday."
Crappy Old Games? :( "
LOL. xD
#16 Edited by Artikay (112 posts) -
@TwoLines said:

" @LordAndrew:  Fingers crossed. I still have to buy Masters of Orion 1+2. "

Get it on Impulse, buy Orion 2 for $6 and get 1 for free.
#17 Posted by TwoLines (2788 posts) -
@Artikay: Im..pulse?
*goes to check*
*comes back* 
Yeeeesssss..
Thank you my good man.
#18 Posted by DarkShaper (1320 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @TwoLines said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" What is GOG? "
Baby don't hurt me. "
Baby don't hurt me. "
No more. "
*Wicked Synth Line*
#19 Posted by Artikay (112 posts) -

My pleasure. 

MoO should be remembered!
#20 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@Brendan: they never had a ton of great stuff anyways, the best on there was probably the first and second fallout
#21 Posted by TheeGravedigger (93 posts) -

I kept meaning to buy games from GoG...

#22 Posted by gexecuter (191 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" What is GOG? "
The best Digital Store, yeah it is/was better than Steam.
#23 Posted by Drace (164 posts) -

While I didn't use GOG, I was happy that a service like that existed. It's unfortunate.

#24 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

Crap, was going to get Interstate '76 from GoG

#25 Edited by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

There were a dozen games I planned to get from GOG.

Lionheart, Arcanum, Interstate '76, Age of Wonders 2 and 3, Blood 1 and 2, the Might & Magic series and a lot more.

Too late now. :( Thankfully I've seen both Arcanum and Lionheart in stores nearby, not that much more expensive than they were on GOG - but I'm afraid I might get into compatibility issues with those. :(

#26 Posted by Rxanadu (504 posts) -
@The_Joker: Quite frankly, I think it's partially their fault GOG is going under.  They gave away quite the many amount of "sweet-ass GOG action" during their EBAs. 
#27 Edited by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

Wowow! This is horrible! Now where can people buy Arcanum? Will all that stuff count as abandonware now since you can no longer buy most of them new?

@fisk0 said:

" Thankfully I've seen both Arcanum and Lionheart in stores nearby, not that much more expensive than they were on GOG - but I'm afraid I might get into compatibility issues with those. :( "
Woah for reals? That's awesome. I'm sure those games are the same versions as the GOG ones since the originals went out of print a while back.
#28 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" @TwoLines said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" What is GOG? "
Baby don't hurt me. "
Baby don't hurt me. "
Don't hurt me, no more.

@LordAndrew said:
That would be "COG" and I think Gears of war has a patent on that. 
#29 Posted by Cubic (171 posts) -

I hope they're coming back, I had loads of stuff I still wanted to get. At least I got Arcanum and Duke 3D before they went under.

#30 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" Wowow! This is horrible! Now where can people buy Arcanum? Will all that stuff count as abandonware now since you can no longer buy most of them new? "
You can call them abandonware if you want. Legally, the term is meaningless.
#31 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

I don't get that they're gone for good from the message at all. All it says to me is that they had to shut down the service for now... which they did.
A relaunch could very well be the cause of it, but I'd rather not speculate and just wait to hear what they have to say. 

I've said before, a little common sense would dictate that this type of thing doesn't happen overnight out of the blue. If they were really shutting down, they'd have notified everyone long ago and they'd definitely not have been adding games to their catalogue literally the night before the service went down!

#32 Edited by HellBrendy (992 posts) -
@TwoLines said:

" @BeachThunder said:

" What is GOG? "
Baby don't hurt me. "
Baby don't hurt me. "
No more. 

Ah, to late to the party :(
#33 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11476 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" Wowow! This is horrible! Now where can people buy Arcanum? Will all that stuff count as abandonware now since you can no longer buy most of them new?
The real question is, why would you want to buy Arcanum from GOG? I did, and I blogged about it twice. It's not a good game in any reasonable capacity, and after 20 hours of playing it I gave up. 

However, I have made my opinion on GOG as a whole fairly clear: It didn't have the best selection, but some of the games it had were among some of the best out there: Might and Magic I-VI, Heroes of Might and Magic I-III, Fallout 1 and 2, Master of Orion 1 and 2, Master of Magic, Age of Wonders, All the King's Quest games, Total Annihilation, Freespace 2, and Disciples 2. It's a huge bummer to see it gone, and once this "Is it a marketing stunt?" stuff finally gets cleared up once and for all, I will either be disappointed, or.. more disappointed.

#34 Posted by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
"@LordAndrew said:
They're buying Game Room?
#35 Edited by fisk0 (3849 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:

" Wowow! This is horrible! Now where can people buy Arcanum? Will all that stuff count as abandonware now since you can no longer buy most of them new?

@fisk0

said:
" Thankfully I've seen both Arcanum and Lionheart in stores nearby, not that much more expensive than they were on GOG - but I'm afraid I might get into compatibility issues with those. :( "
Woah for reals? That's awesome. I'm sure those games are the same versions as the GOG ones since the originals went out of print a while back. "

GOG used a custom wrapper (called gogwrap.exe) for some of their older Windows titles to make the games compatible with XP/Vista, some re-releases might use similar wrappers, but I am pretty sure the gog wrapper was created "in-house" by CD Project/GOG.

I think the Lionheart release I saw was a pretty recent re-release, probably released along the same time the Vista compatible versions of the "Fallout Trilogy" (i.e. Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics, not 3 :) was released - in 2007 I think, while the Arcanum release looks like an early 200x release, I think it mentioned XP compatibility on the box, but I'm not sure. Probably from around 2002-03. I guess I'll have to pick both up in stores now when I can't get them from GOG anymore.

And the reason they still have a copy of Arcanum is probably that I think very few buy PC games from them, and they don't return or dump unsold stock - they still try to sell copies of Tabula Rasa there - the MMORPG that was shut down about 3 years ago. :)

#36 Posted by Froghourt (108 posts) -

This sucks, I really loved GOG and there were still some games I wanted to buy but didn't because I didn't have the time right now. The fact that it was DRM free was simply brilliant. Hopefully they will launch a new service.

#37 Posted by Catterick (34 posts) -

It's a real shame. Whilst I didn't buy a great deal of stuff from them (Fallout mainly) it saddens me to see something like this go down. Hopefully they'll find a way to come back with a more sustainable model.

#38 Posted by Bandit_Fox (142 posts) -

This is pretty sad. I just found out about their site about two weeks ago and have been meaning to get some old favorites (they had the Broken Sword series on there, right?). 

#39 Posted by BeautifulSpaceCowboy (601 posts) -

That sucks to see it go. Luckily, I had all of my games downloaded already with the installers saved. However, I would like to go back and get some of the bonus content that I never downloaded. I am still going to hold out that they will be back but maybe with a different structure? Membership maybe? Perhaps that is just wishful thinking though.

#40 Edited by nmarchan (172 posts) -

No it's probably a publicity stunt.   

12 seconds in, Baldur's Gate GoG-style image.  

Worst publicity stunt ever. So so stupid. 
#41 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@nmarchan:  Yea, a company doesn't make a fancy trailer like that for shutting down...  Fucking ridiculous.  I hope they suffer as a business because of it.
#42 Posted by BeachThunder (11697 posts) -

Sigh, all of this was so unnecessary. They better have System Shock when they return!

#43 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" Sigh, all of this was so unnecessary. They better have System Shock when they return! "
That, and the entire Sir-Tech back catalogue. And Amiga games.
#44 Posted by Froghourt (108 posts) -
@fisk0 said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" Sigh, all of this was so unnecessary. They better have System Shock when they return! "
That, and the entire Sir-Tech back catalogue. And Amiga games. "
And all the old Lucas Arts adventure games (Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle etc.)
#45 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -
@Froghourt said:
" @fisk0 said:
" @BeachThunder said:
That, and the entire Sir-Tech back catalogue. And Amiga games. "
And all the old Lucas Arts adventure games (Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle etc.) "
And all the Bullfrog titles (Populous, Syndicate) and Maxis early Sim* games (especially SimIsle. There's a huge crack in my SimIsle CD).
#46 Posted by omghisam (283 posts) -

I liked The Witcher (when they eventually patched it up) but damn CD Projekt  always comes off as a bunch of amateurs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.