Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GOG.com

Concept »

A digital distribution platform that focuses on providing DRM-free computer games, both old and new.

Good Old Games Interplay Offer... Sure, why not?

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

I watch a lot of game videos.  Stuff here, but also older stuff showing me games that I never had the chance to play when they were originally out.  I caught a video recently showing an old Might and Magic game, which is apparently for sale as part of a cool set offered by Good Old Games.  I admire Good Old Games' commitment to refurbishing old games so that they work on XP/Vista machines, and through one of their promotions I learned that they were selling a critical tipping point of games that makes me want to use their service.

They've got the classic adventure Beneath a Steel Sky for free, so I'll probably do that as part of the package.  They also have select Interplay games for sale including Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, (but I already have those two and can probably still get them to run properly. )

Here's the list.  It's expandable to include some lesser titles, but I think I'm fine with what I see right there.  MDK and Giants: Citizen Kabuto seem decent enough to get as part of the deal (so I'll pay 6 bucks to get both of them).  Outside the main offer, they also have the 6 first Might and Magic games in one ten dollar set, which I'll get if I get MDK and GCK.

My main conundrum is whether or not to include Heroes II.  I guess what I like about GOG's system is you can download the DRM-free software to any computer, and not have to be connected to the internet past actually needing to download the thing.  They also have goodies as part of some of their game promotions, although some of these goodies are legally available on the net for free anyway, and others, like including the soundtrack for Heroes games, is a bit sprurious an offer considering Heroes used Red Book Audio, meaning you could listen to the tracks without needing the game or a hex editor.

Still, my big problem is trying to figure out what to get.  As a self-proclaimed retro aficionado I guess I'm sort of honor bound to make some purchase here, and the fact that it's download and not a physical copy with unlimited copies allowed makes me feel much more secure than having to deal with the security stuff that a lot of newer releases force on us.  There are few other highly rated games that I know nothing about, too, like Gothic, Arx Fatalis, Lords of Magic, Tex Murphy, Personal Nightmare, Descent, Freespace, and a few others I'm forgetting.  It's not like that other sale I talked about before, these games have pedigree.  If anyone can recommend any of the titles offered at GOG, please let me know :)

Tentative wishlist of games, freely updated (6 + 10 + 6 + 10 + 6 + 0 + 0 +10 + 10 + 10 = too much, have to narrow this down  ($68 ):

Ishar Trilogy (RPG by the great developers at Silmarils)
    The Guild (Gold Edition) (This looks really interesting)
    *Freespace 1,2 (based upon the recommendations of Delta_Ass and others) (Wait AHF, do you have the first one already!?)
    - -Might and Magic 6-pack (I beat World of Xeen, but I love that game so much I don't mind getting it again. Probably the best deal of the bunch despite its age)
    -*-Giants: Citizen Kabuto (Realfunfuneral says it's fun)
    - -Beneath a Steel Sky (Free? OK. Didn't know the art was by the Watchmen guy.  Did play a bit of it a long time ago, but never beat it)
    Heroes II (Won't get Heroes III because I already have a Complete disc at home) 
    -*-MDK (I like weird; Realfunfuneral says it's fun, too)
    The Gothic series (I and II are highly recommended, III tentatively so, with patching) 

* = part of the [buy Interplay from this list, get half of them for free] deal

- - = stuff that I'll probably get no matter what

Still wondering about: 

Personal Nightmare (Scary adventure game? OK.  Maybe later, though.) 
    Gorky 17 (the mood just looks neat to me, and it looks like a more Tactics style combat system, but the reviews are poor) 
    Tex Murphy (I like adventure games, but I wonder if the multimedia cheese will be too much for me. Doesn't sound like it may have aged well(?))
    Arx Fatalis (It seems like an underrated, more heavily plotted, and less customizable 1st person action RPG)
    Jagged Alliance (Hearing iffy things about its engine, although I'm an X-Com fan, so it may be up to taste)
    Lords of Magic (Not the same as Master of Magic.  Flawed, from what I've read so far.) 

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I watch a lot of game videos.  Stuff here, but also older stuff showing me games that I never had the chance to play when they were originally out.  I caught a video recently showing an old Might and Magic game, which is apparently for sale as part of a cool set offered by Good Old Games.  I admire Good Old Games' commitment to refurbishing old games so that they work on XP/Vista machines, and through one of their promotions I learned that they were selling a critical tipping point of games that makes me want to use their service.

They've got the classic adventure Beneath a Steel Sky for free, so I'll probably do that as part of the package.  They also have select Interplay games for sale including Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, (but I already have those two and can probably still get them to run properly. )

Here's the list.  It's expandable to include some lesser titles, but I think I'm fine with what I see right there.  MDK and Giants: Citizen Kabuto seem decent enough to get as part of the deal (so I'll pay 6 bucks to get both of them).  Outside the main offer, they also have the 6 first Might and Magic games in one ten dollar set, which I'll get if I get MDK and GCK.

My main conundrum is whether or not to include Heroes II.  I guess what I like about GOG's system is you can download the DRM-free software to any computer, and not have to be connected to the internet past actually needing to download the thing.  They also have goodies as part of some of their game promotions, although some of these goodies are legally available on the net for free anyway, and others, like including the soundtrack for Heroes games, is a bit sprurious an offer considering Heroes used Red Book Audio, meaning you could listen to the tracks without needing the game or a hex editor.

Still, my big problem is trying to figure out what to get.  As a self-proclaimed retro aficionado I guess I'm sort of honor bound to make some purchase here, and the fact that it's download and not a physical copy with unlimited copies allowed makes me feel much more secure than having to deal with the security stuff that a lot of newer releases force on us.  There are few other highly rated games that I know nothing about, too, like Gothic, Arx Fatalis, Lords of Magic, Tex Murphy, Personal Nightmare, Descent, Freespace, and a few others I'm forgetting.  It's not like that other sale I talked about before, these games have pedigree.  If anyone can recommend any of the titles offered at GOG, please let me know :)

Tentative wishlist of games, freely updated (6 + 10 + 6 + 10 + 6 + 0 + 0 +10 + 10 + 10 = too much, have to narrow this down  ($68 ):

Ishar Trilogy (RPG by the great developers at Silmarils)
    The Guild (Gold Edition) (This looks really interesting)
    *Freespace 1,2 (based upon the recommendations of Delta_Ass and others) (Wait AHF, do you have the first one already!?)
    - -Might and Magic 6-pack (I beat World of Xeen, but I love that game so much I don't mind getting it again. Probably the best deal of the bunch despite its age)
    -*-Giants: Citizen Kabuto (Realfunfuneral says it's fun)
    - -Beneath a Steel Sky (Free? OK. Didn't know the art was by the Watchmen guy.  Did play a bit of it a long time ago, but never beat it)
    Heroes II (Won't get Heroes III because I already have a Complete disc at home) 
    -*-MDK (I like weird; Realfunfuneral says it's fun, too)
    The Gothic series (I and II are highly recommended, III tentatively so, with patching) 

* = part of the [buy Interplay from this list, get half of them for free] deal

- - = stuff that I'll probably get no matter what

Still wondering about: 

Personal Nightmare (Scary adventure game? OK.  Maybe later, though.) 
    Gorky 17 (the mood just looks neat to me, and it looks like a more Tactics style combat system, but the reviews are poor) 
    Tex Murphy (I like adventure games, but I wonder if the multimedia cheese will be too much for me. Doesn't sound like it may have aged well(?))
    Arx Fatalis (It seems like an underrated, more heavily plotted, and less customizable 1st person action RPG)
    Jagged Alliance (Hearing iffy things about its engine, although I'm an X-Com fan, so it may be up to taste)
    Lords of Magic (Not the same as Master of Magic.  Flawed, from what I've read so far.) 

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By delta_ass

FreeSpace and FreeSpace 2. Get em. Get em NOW.

FreeSpace 2 is the greatest space sim ever made and one of the best PC games in the history of gaming.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " FreeSpace and FreeSpace 2. Get em. Get em NOW.  FreeSpace 2 is the greatest space sim ever made and one of the best PC games in the history of gaming. "

True. Are you aware of Shadows of Lylat the Starfox FS mod?. That game looks like it could be awesome.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By delta_ass
    @Linkyshinks: Ummm... nope. I never pay much attention to mods these days, since they usually peter out and never get finished. Ya know, the modders get interrupted by Real Life concerns or just lose interest.

I mean hell, we're still waiting for that Star Wars mod for FS2, aren't we? Myself, I've been following modding since the days of Doom and Quake and ever since then, it's been a pretty consistent trend of failure... Counter-Strike is one of the exceptions to the rule.

Also, ummm... no idea what a Lylat is. Apparently it leaves a shadow.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

Here's a gameplay test 

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Delta_Ass: I cut my early adult gaming teeth on games like Wing Commander.  If you've had a chance to play WC, how would they differ (other than Freespace being one of the best PC games in history :) ).  Also, it looks like they say they use more physics in the game, which is cool, but I'm going to assume they don't have stuff like unbounded acceleration.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Delta_Ass said:

" @Linkyshinks: Ummm... nope. I never pay much attention to mods these days, since they usually peter out and never get finished. "

You're ttalking about a 10 year old game here, loads of mods are already out. Start by getting Freespace Open and checking out this community.

There's pretty much anything out there, from simple missions, to complete new campaigns, and total conversions that change everything in this.

The video Linky posted is kinda ancient, that particular mod's yet unreleased but has done good progress lately, still, there are more to play now.

Not that more recent games like UT3 and Source stuff don't have a fair share of released mods but eh, it's up to you if you want free fun or not :-)

@Op: Get Heroes of Might & Magic III, or if you want to go REALLY retro, then the Might & Magic 6-Pack LE.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By delta_ass

I already use FS_Open.

Haven't played any of the WC games, but IIRC Wing Commander: Prophecy came out around the same time as Descent: FreeSpace, and I believe everyone agreed at the time that FreeSpace outclassed Prophecy by a light year.

realfunfuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By realfunfuneral

I've had a fair bit of stuff off GOG before. Definitely remember Freespace being one of the better space shooters out there but you've had enough recommendations for that. Beneath a Steel Sky is amazing but I bought that when it first came out. The artwork is all by Dave Gibbons of Watchmen fame and it's got a good style and sense of humour to it. One of the few point and clicks outside of the realms of Lucasarts worth playing. MDK and Giants are both a lot of fun for sure. I also just realised that Tex Murphy is Under A Killing Moon. I don't think I ever finished it cos one of my discs was scratched but it was enjoyable. It was tongue in cheek hard-boiled so it worked pretty well. Couldn't tell you about the early ones though unfortunately.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

That Might and Magic six pack is a crazy good deal, as I paid around $25 for it around 3 years ago. I never actually finished Might and Magic VI, but I got extremely close before I wiped my computer last year. I also am sort of close to finishing the cloudside of Xeen, but I lack the motivation to go finish it.  

The first two might and magic games are practically unplayable, even by my lax standards, and the first one doesn't even have a map (You were supposed to draw your own map on graph paper, which is pretty messed up). Isles of Terra and World of Xeen however, are more than playable, assuming you use a guide to figure out where you are supposed to go.

Oh, and one last thing. Don't get Jagged Alliance. I bought the DS version (which is a straight port), and It's frustrating. I even wrote a blog about it.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @ArbitraryWater: Ah, so you did.  I must have missed that. Commented on it.

Xeen makes me happy just thinking about it.  I actually had the second Might and Magic for my Genesis/Mega Drive, of all things, and I really liked the character creation system and the character choices, as well as the weird things you run into and the fun, strange choices of settings.  I don't think I finished it, though.

But I finished the HELL out of Xeen.  I played it as Worlds of Xeen, so when I got bored with the Cloudside I went to the Dark Side, which I think has better graphics and atmosphere.  Putting them together, though, makes the whole thing tons more fun, and it helps things feel a bit less linear in spots.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.