Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GOG.com

Concept »

A digital distribution platform that focuses on providing DRM-free computer games, both old and new.

So, apparently Good Old Games is dead

• 117 results
    steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By steevl

www.gog.com brings up the following message:

Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,
    GOG.com Team

This makes me sad. While I didn't buy a lot from them (from the top of my head: Fallout 1 & 2, Ground Control 1 & 2, and Jagged Alliance 2), they were a great service.

UPDATE: According to someone on NeoGAF, this might all be a bad marketing stunt.

People, relax. It's just a marketing stunt. Worse one ever. I don't know who at CDP thought this was a good idea to drop the beta and go final in such manner, but he's a moron.

And yes, it is a stunt, CEO warned financial forums couple days ago to ignore what will appear on Gog site soon. .t. It's a mess overall...23rd there was supposed to be full blown conference (like the one in Spring, when they've shown Witcher 2 for the first time), but it was just annouced it won't happen and there will be online conference instead.

Anyway, bassicaly GoG is simply ending it's beta phase and going final, that's all. Some speculate it will get a standalone client too.

New Update! From gog.com:

UPDATE 20.09.2010
    First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mylifeforAiur

That's disappointing ;(

Onigenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Onigenko

Man, GOG was awesome. :( 

Welp, at least I still have Steam.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By RobertOrri

This is just fucking awful news. The last glimmer of hope for less restrictive DRM is dead.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ShaneDev

Thats sad but the only business I did with them was buying Freespace 2 for 2 euro.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By aleryn

Awe hell and I didn't get Raptor remake 'fore they died.  Son of a...

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By zidd

God dammit.  There was still games I wanted to buy. If I knew they were gonna go belly up I would have done it already...

OJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OJ

Very disappointing, to be fair I only downloaded Beneath the Steel Sky when it was free, and was never attached to most of the games on there. But it's a necessary site for people with that affinity. It would be nice if steam now started a similar service.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By thebeast

Very sad news - it's a real pity that services like this struggle to stay alive.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By weltal

Guess I'll go play some Giants, Sacrifice, and Divine Divinity in their honor. Thanks for the old games GOG!

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By jorbear

Worst news I've heard all day. 

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#12  Edited By fisk0

I did buy quite a few games from them. Not as many as I would have wanted, but around 15-20 I think, and some of them I haven't had the time to download yet, especially not the bonus content. I really hope they make that stuff available for us who purchased the stuff, my last purchase was just 2 days ago, and thankfully I downloaded both those purchases - Jagged Alliance 2 and Psychonauts (sans any bonus stuff) earlier this morning. Now I have to make sure I have all that stuff backed up.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Wow. I just bought Age of Wonders and Master of Orion from them no less than two days ago. Thank goodness I did. While it perhaps didn't have the largest selection, GOG definitely had quite a few important games that weren't on steam. Heroes of Might and Magic I-III, Might and Magic I-VI, Arcanum (some people like it. I guess), aforementioned Master of Orion 1 and 2 and Age of Wonders, All 8 king's quest games, and Master of Magic. What a shame...

PsychedelicET

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By PsychedelicET

Yeah this is really sad news, GOG was a great service for those of us who still want to play classic computer games.  This closing came out of the blue too - I had no idea they were in trouble, I would have helped them out and bought a few of the gems I was waiting on from them if they had let us know ahead of simply closing the site.  Hopefully we can eventually download all the extras they included in their games (wallpapers, soundtracks, manuals, etc.) as well, though I'm a little worried about that at this point.  What a sad day for old computer games - now piracy is assured to be the dominant way these games are played.  At least GOG tried.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By JudgeDread

too bad they shut their site down in an extremely shitty and unfriendly way. makes me quite mad not being able to download the stuff i paid MONEY for without any warning whatsoever. Extremly poor service from GOG. 

@fisk0 said:

" I did buy quite a few games from them. Not as many as I would have wanted, but around 15-20 I think, and some of them I haven't had the time to download yet, especially not the bonus content. I really hope they make that stuff available for us who purchased the stuff, my last purchase was just 2 days ago, and thankfully I downloaded both those purchases - Jagged Alliance 2 and Psychonauts (sans any bonus stuff) earlier this morning. Now I have to make sure I have all that stuff backed up. "

expect a class law suit otherwise, I can smell it already
    Bartman3010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By Bartman3010

This makes me fear that old game services like Nintendo's Virtual Console and Sony's Playstation 1 downloads and such arent really turning a profit for anybody. Not to mention this is exactly what people fear about digital downloads when the service shuts down. 

Its a damn shame too, because there were a number of games on the service that I wish I had the time and money to check out. But...now its gone.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By unchained

This is soul-suckingly shitty news. 

evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By evildeadron
    @JudgeDread said:
    "too bad they shut their site down in an extremely shitty and unfriendly way. makes me quite mad not being able to download the stuff i paid MONEY for without any warning whatsoever. Extremly poor service from GOG. 

@fisk0 said:
    " I did buy quite a few games from them. Not as many as I would have wanted, but around 15-20 I think, and some of them I haven't had the time to download yet, especially not the bonus content. I really hope they make that stuff available for us who purchased the stuff, my last purchase was just 2 days ago, and thankfully I downloaded both those purchases - Jagged Alliance 2 and Psychonauts (sans any bonus stuff) earlier this morning. Now I have to make sure I have all that stuff backed up. "
    expect a class law suit otherwise, I can smell it already "

apparently you dont know how to read things  

quote from gog.com  

"On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates."
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By warxsnake

Sad, my only complain with gog was their title selection, they shouldve worked to get stuff like the old bullfrog games (populous the begining, syndicate), and maybe some other newer classics like the homeworld series, battlezone; stuff that steam still doesnt have for whatever reason.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fisk0

Yes, giving no advance warning at all was really poor customer support. I'm sure there were many people who bought stuff from them yesterday or today who haven't downloaded their stuff yet. They really should have given a few days or a week's notice, especially since everything seemed to run smoothly up until this. They were in the middle of two sales, announced 2 upcoming games ... this was certainly not the time I expected it to close down.

@JudgeDread said:

" too bad they shut their site down in an extremely shitty and unfriendly way. makes me quite mad not being able to download the stuff i paid MONEY for without any warning whatsoever. Extremly poor service from GOG. 

@fisk0 said:
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By eroticfishcake

That's horrible news. And I relied on them to keep distributing classic games to the younger generation who still enjoy those games. It's reasons like this I generally don't like digitally distributed games but that's another story. Anyway, hope it works out for the lads.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fisk0
    @warxsnake said:

" Sad, my only complain with gog was their title selection, they shouldve worked to get stuff like the old bullfrog games (populous the begining, syndicate), and maybe some other newer classics like the homeworld series, battlezone; stuff that steam still doesnt have for whatever reason. "

That stuff was owned by Electronic Arts which they didn't get an agreement with.

And yes, this is the stuff I've always been afraid of when it comes to digital distribution, and why I've been wary of purchasing anything digitally up until last year.

@eroticfishcake said:

" That's horrible news. And I relied on them to keep distributing classic games to the younger generation who still enjoy those games. It's reasons like this I generally don't like digitally distributed games but that's another story. Anyway, hope it works out for the lads. "

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JudgeDread
    @evildeadron said:
    " @JudgeDread said:
    "too bad they shut their site down in an extremely shitty and unfriendly way. makes me quite mad not being able to download the stuff i paid MONEY for without any warning whatsoever. Extremly poor service from GOG. 

@fisk0 said:

apparently you dont know how to read things  

quote from gog.com  

"On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates." "
    They already have a technical solution that was fully functional. Their site. Any other technical solution might not be covered by their distribution agreements with the publishers. Not giving their customers a warning maybe one month ahead allowing them to download what they have paid for and just shutting down the site instantly is very very bad from a customer relations as well as legal perspective..
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By Geno

?  

I thought GOG was doing fine, what other services provide DRM-free classics?  

Anyway, I think this is the first shutdown of a major digital distribution service. I hope they set some good precedents. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

Not all that surprising really, it was always going to have limited appeal.  In a market where PC games are practically given away after 12-18 months, it's hard to justify charging much, if anything, for 10 or 15 year old games.  It's sad that the service will no longer be available, but I can't imagine it will be a massive blow for CD Projekt or anything like that.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By bacongames

Like Jimbo said, not surprised.  In the era of the remake I personally don't want 15 year old games unless something has been done to improve them.

I can see how this is bad news to all those DRM rebels but I could care less as a person who much prefers Steam.  Looks like I'm not the only one.

steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By steevl

GoG.com was good for more than just the people who hate DRM, though. They'd usually tweak the games to run on modern OSes. I love Steam as much as anybody, but from what I understand their version of Jagged Alliance II has some issues that aren't present in the GoG.com version. It's been a while since I looked into that, but I know there were people screaming bloody murder about it on the Steam forums when JA2 was launched.

So while the lack of DRM is nice, I was always more of a fan of them just making these games work without me having to tweak things on my PC.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fisk0
    @steevl said:
    " GoG.com was good for more than just the people who hate DRM, though. They'd usually tweak the games to run on modern OSes. I love Steam as much as anybody, but from what I understand their version of Jagged Alliance II has some issues that aren't present in the GoG.com version. It's been a while since I looked into that, but I know there were people screaming bloody murder about it on the Steam forums when JA2 was launched.  So while the lack of DRM is nice, I was always more of a fan of them just making these games work without me having to tweak things on my PC. "

This.

Of course, since they don't use DRM you were always assured that the games would still work if what just happened would happen, which certainly is a plus, but that I was pretty much guaranteed that the old games I bought would work on modern Windows versions was the major reason I decided to purchase most games on GOG, even when they occasionally also were available on Steam cheaper.

gexecuter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gexecuter

Worst gaming news this year, gog was awesome yes it was a niche business but still :( The worst part is that some classic titles will not be available for purchase anymore, hopefully some other service will pick them up and by other service i mean Steam, they were never as good as good as gog but they are my second favorite DD store. Oh god this whole thing sucks :(

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Romination

I never used this site (I have a mac) but I loved everything about it. Shame.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JudgeDread

Even after the fact that their site has been shut down by their own hands we have not yet recieved an email regarding this from gog.com .

I say fuck them.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fisk0
    @gexecuter said:
    " Worst gaming news this year, gog was awesome yes it was a niche business but still :( The worst part is that some classic titles will not be available for purchase anymore, hopefully some other service will pick them up and by other service i mean Steam, they were never as good as good as gog but they are my second favorite DD store. Oh god this whole thing sucks :( "

Yeah, some games were published both on Steam and GOG (and I guess that's also part of why GOG failed - Steam often managed to get lower prices for those games, getting advantage both in being a more well known service and providing the same product for a better price), hopefully the publishers still realize there is a demand for older titles and keep releasing them on Steam, GamersGate, Impulse, etc. even after GOG can't lead the way anymore.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

That sucks :( I got a bunch of games from them last Christmas. It was awesome!

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34  Edited By Geno
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Animasta

god this is the worst marketing stunt ever.

wibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By wibby

Shitty news guys. 

THey had the only version of  Beyond Good and Evil that ran on modern PC's :(
    steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By steevl

Wow, that's terrible if true.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By weltal
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Animasta
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fisk0
    @Geno said:
    " Guys, apparently it's a stunt. They are just moving from beta to final.  

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23418875&postcount=240 "

Wow, if that's true that's really the must stupid and respect less stunt I've ever heard off. Scaring a lot of their customers that they might just have wasted a lot of money on games that they can't access and such.

I hope that is correct though, then we could just put this crap behind us and enjoy getting more awesome old games. 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Jeust

Yeah they were awesome...

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42  Edited By Cube

I did buy Fallout 1 and 2 from them, that's a shame. 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#43  Edited By BeachThunder

Sigh >_>

I suppose the message on their site doesn't actually mention that they are shutting down <_<

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#44  Edited By JammyJesus

Awww, thats sad, they were great :(
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Someone please tell me what to think: marketing stunt/transition to 'final' or end of the journey?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Diamond

If they're really pulling a stunt I'm glad I never bought anything from them (because they're being manipulative).
    If they're really dead I'm glad I never bought anything from them (because I'd risk losing my purchases).

Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

Son. Of. A. Bitch.

mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mr_faraday

You all might want to read that message again it clearly never says they are shutting down, its saying their website(service) is evolving and changing. So really they werent lying to you, you just misunderstood what they were saying. Though i dont blame you, it is worded very strangely.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Just to add another note to this, apparently it's been circulating in Polish news sites that the founder is quoted as saying it's not actually shutting down. Also, it says on CDProjekt's website that part of their strategy is to expand GOG.com, so it seems odd that they would shut it down so suddenly. 
    Oh well, could be wrong, but if it's true that this is a stunt I want cheap old games by the bucketload as recompense.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By ATrevelan

If this is just a big marketing stunt, it's TOTALLY the wrong way to go about it. I imagine that they'd be hoping people to be happy that the site continues on (likely in new and improved form) but I think that what they've got are a bunch of people wondering how they're going to be able to download and keep the things they've spent their hard earned cash on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.