Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GOG.com

Concept »

A digital distribution platform that focuses on providing DRM-free computer games, both old and new.

The State of GOG.com

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

I was lucky enough to have bought and downloaded a game I was happy to see put up on GOG.com, a site that boasted contractually allowed DRM-free purchase and download of a bunch of older but generally superb games. 

Last weekend, GOG.com abruptly stopped their services (in the middle of a sale) and put up a confusing, brief statement about the state of affairs there.  Since then, the press that covers independents has been trying to figure things out.  Some of the rumors that resulted from the speculation around the closing were shamlessly cynical, which tells me a lot about certain news venues in the entertainment industry. It seems the truth will be a bit complex, according to a recent update on GOG.com:

"Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons."  [1]

I'm not into the prediction game, but from what could be gleaned from their Twitter feed and statements made was that the DRM-free model that they had may have actually caused problems. It seems like their low prices, when combined with the contracts they needed to license the games made for a small dollar margin, and there may also be an issue with some of the providers of the games being unhappy with their software being propagated, despite the DRM-free status being pretty much a guarantee that there was going to be leaks, but I doubt that they'll talk about this openly, so it's just a guess.

If their Public Relations statements are to be believed, GOG.com may change, but it won't be gone completely. It seems like they may actually disappear for a time, and might come back with a system similar to Steam or Impulse (a company similar in focus to GOG.com but no DRM-free feature).  In the meantime, according to the statement issued today as of this writing:

"We guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday." [1]

They go on to say that another, more detailed press release will be issued tomorrow, and that they'll inform users with accounts via their email.

EDIT: They admit it was a hoax...  although it was a very imprecise one. They could have made it a bit cheesy, so that people could have felt right doubting what was going on, but that would have required more planning. Just taking the site down, preventing people from downloading products they bought without explanation, was unprofessional.  They didn't lose me as a customer; as I said in the comments below as long as the service is the same, and it seems to be, but I understand if people might stop using the site because of it.  I guess I require stuff a bit more unethical to turn me off--  stuff that doesn't phase buyers for much bigger publishers.

It's just that GOG is, in a sense, one of the little guys. They should learn that groups that small should be more like family, and less like...  whatever kind of people like to pull stuff like this.

Anyway, reset to normal, etc.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I was lucky enough to have bought and downloaded a game I was happy to see put up on GOG.com, a site that boasted contractually allowed DRM-free purchase and download of a bunch of older but generally superb games. 

Last weekend, GOG.com abruptly stopped their services (in the middle of a sale) and put up a confusing, brief statement about the state of affairs there.  Since then, the press that covers independents has been trying to figure things out.  Some of the rumors that resulted from the speculation around the closing were shamlessly cynical, which tells me a lot about certain news venues in the entertainment industry. It seems the truth will be a bit complex, according to a recent update on GOG.com:

"Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons."  [1]

I'm not into the prediction game, but from what could be gleaned from their Twitter feed and statements made was that the DRM-free model that they had may have actually caused problems. It seems like their low prices, when combined with the contracts they needed to license the games made for a small dollar margin, and there may also be an issue with some of the providers of the games being unhappy with their software being propagated, despite the DRM-free status being pretty much a guarantee that there was going to be leaks, but I doubt that they'll talk about this openly, so it's just a guess.

If their Public Relations statements are to be believed, GOG.com may change, but it won't be gone completely. It seems like they may actually disappear for a time, and might come back with a system similar to Steam or Impulse (a company similar in focus to GOG.com but no DRM-free feature).  In the meantime, according to the statement issued today as of this writing:

"We guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday." [1]

They go on to say that another, more detailed press release will be issued tomorrow, and that they'll inform users with accounts via their email.

EDIT: They admit it was a hoax...  although it was a very imprecise one. They could have made it a bit cheesy, so that people could have felt right doubting what was going on, but that would have required more planning. Just taking the site down, preventing people from downloading products they bought without explanation, was unprofessional.  They didn't lose me as a customer; as I said in the comments below as long as the service is the same, and it seems to be, but I understand if people might stop using the site because of it.  I guess I require stuff a bit more unethical to turn me off--  stuff that doesn't phase buyers for much bigger publishers.

It's just that GOG is, in a sense, one of the little guys. They should learn that groups that small should be more like family, and less like...  whatever kind of people like to pull stuff like this.

Anyway, reset to normal, etc.

DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DrFidget

There are already like 4 threads about this. 

Edit: My apologies, it was 4am when I posted this and didn't notice it was just a blog.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure

It's a blog entry, but OK.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By GreggD
    @DrFidget: Yeah, no shit. He made a blog entry, one that does not appear to be linked to the forums.
    abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By abdo

Some people say it's a publicity stunt, made to coincide with a financial meeting they're having or something. I'm still under the impression that they actually are in trouble, because they have been in hard times as long as I can remember.  I hope this whole thing blows over and they come back, because I never had the chance to buy more games from them.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Binman88
    @abdo: They're certainly using language that implies they're rolling out something new in my opinion. They're only saying GOG won't continue to run in it's current form - which leaves the door open for them to announce anything from a new website design to a standalone client.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @abdo:  @Binman88:
    Publicity stunts and financial difficulties are not mutually exclusive, but yeah, I think any assumption, based on what little information there actually is, that it was JUST a publicity stunt is just cynicism and not really well-founded.  I'm convinced this isn't the end, though, given the language in their statement that you pointed out, Binman88.  The digging I've done since writing the above has included CD Projekt's statement when they were bought out due to insolvency issues in May of this year; they said they were going to refocus what they were about, and that may include some of the changes we'll be seeing now, a few months down the road.  

The brand will probably change.  They have pledged to allow people who already bought stuff under the old system to have access to what they bought.  For how long, I'm not sure.  It could be that you'll get them under the old system indefinitely, but I think it would be smart to assume this won't be the case, just in case there's a rush to get stuff before they close the doors on it all for good.

The video they had on youtube seems a bit self-promotional, though (not to mention showing a flash of a game that was not yet released by them that would be quite desirable for a lot of gamers, Baldur's Gate), so I'm going to try to stop playing the predictions game and see what happened. It's just that their recent behavior seemed at cross purposes with all the fan good will they've earned over the years. I don't think a group like that, who have been fairly friendly and open, would suddenly change tactics and be manipulative without some fiddling on the part of management or big publishers, or just plain desperation because of financial and contract issues.
    Gammix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Gammix

Turns out they fooled us, they're just moving out of the Beta phase.  Check their site again. =D

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yeah, sorry to say, but it totally was just a publicity stunt. On the plus side, they seem somewhat sorry for doing so, and have announced Baldur's Gate being available as soon as the site comes back up tomorrow. This, therefore, leads to the conclusion that we can expect the rest of the infinity engine catalog, which I consider to be suitable recompense (because I really haven't played Icewind Dale or Planescape torment yet. Certainly I have... tampered, with them, but I tend to be more likely to seriously play a game if I own it legitimately) 

Of course, I have to talk to my bank every time I buy something from them (as the transaction is technically going overseas and that is exactly the kind of stuff banks are supposed to block, so I don't blame them), and I already own BG1, so my general purchasing interest is roughly the same.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Gammix:  Yeah, thus the edit in the main body of the text above. Kind of a poorly thought-out prank, I think.  Should have been something like an evil corporation threatening to take them over, with a cartoonish supervillain badguy or something, to give all but the stupid a pretty clear idea what was going on.  Instead they cut off service without explanation and give some cryptic, poorly worded doom notes in Twitter and the like.  Not sure how active the forums were at GOG, I tended to only use them to hunt for bugs, but they thumbed their nose at users of those forums.  Since they're one of the few publishers I'm actually invested in, I can't really kick them off the boat for this, even if I were actually angry about it.  Instead I'm just annoyed and shaking my head.

@ArbitraryWater: Yeah, if Planescape is on the menu that would be a nice tradeoff. I'm guessing they MAY have a free game credit up as well, since at least early on they were more freely distributing those (and it wouldn't be an untoward apology that might feel more legitimate than what feels like insincere mumbling).  As far as BG and Icewind Dale, we already have them and their sequels, as well as Torment, so for me at least it's a non-event.  Got most of them in an "Atari" bundle a few years ago.

You have to talk to your bank, though? That's the first I've heard of someone saying that. That's actually kind of cool of your bank to be wary of that, but I didn't realize that sort of thing would necessarily come up for a straight transaction.  I wonder if you could leave a note with them that certain transactions are probably OK, but I guess that sort of practice could be open for abuse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.