Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Goichi Suda

Person » credited in 33 games

Goichi Suda, also known by his alias Suda 51, is the eccentric and sometimes controversial director behind games such as Killer7 and No More Heroes.

Suda 51 vs Tired game tropes?

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CptPanda29

Seeing the quick overview of Suda's next "trip", I can't help but feel like he's going out of his way to make game themes that maybeslightlyplayedoutalready. It seems like just as something that sounds like a typical videogame with very safe and predictable play - like Man vs Hell or Zombies - Suda and friends swing in and while not exactly reinventing it, at least remind you why it was fun in the first place.

I know two doesn't quite make a trend, and I may be just being daft, but if I'm right I'm all for it.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By benjaebe

I think Suda51 vs Tired Game Tropes would be a fucking phenomenal title and premise for a game.

mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By mrangryface

I'll buy Suda 51 games just for being Suda 51 games. The older I get and the longer I play videogames the more I just want something thats interesting.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CptPanda29

@benjaebe: Coming Holiday 2012.

@mrangryface: There might be a formula out there along the lines of (Years alive / Years playing games) / Level of Jadedness x Volume of Cliche = Appeal of Suda 51 ???

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mesoian

@CptPanda29 said:

Seeing the quick overview of Suda's next "trip", I can't help but feel like he's going out of his way to make game themes that maybeslightlyplayedoutalready. It seems like just as something that sounds like a typical videogame with very safe and predictable play - like Man vs Hell or Zombies - Suda and friends swing in and while not exactly reinventing it, at least remind you why it was fun in the first place.

I know two doesn't quite make a trend, and I may be just being daft, but if I'm right I'm all for it.

He does that. He considers it to be an "active commentary" on gaming culture and how we're conditioned to accept certain things and reject others. It's a little annoying at times.

As long as he has people to reel him in, it's fine. Look at Shadows of the Damned; that game was, functionally, pretty okay. Yes, it was pretty much a carbon copy of RE4 and yes it that means it came with all the bugs that RE4 had (which was odd), but it kept itself from making stylistic choices hinder the gameplay choices, something that No More Heroes and Killer 7 suffers from IMMENSELY.

As for the new game...it looks like XBlades, which isn't helping things. I'm all for super short skirts and super big breasts, but I really hope there's more to this game than simply a zombie laidened skin fest.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CptPanda29

@Mesoian: Ahh, I didn't realize he was so self aware when doing it, seems to make more sense as a parody of western development now. I quite like it when games go for style over substance, on something as stylized as Suda anyway I'd usually let it go, so long as the game works. But some of the shifts in gear into random genres from the early 90s can be a bit jarring...

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael
    @Mesoian said:

Yes, it was pretty much a carbon copy of RE4

Not really. Resident Evil 4 was and remains great. The combat was tense and positioning, crowd control and ammo-conserving tactics were key. In Shadows of the Damned none of those things are relevant because of the dodge roll (which made you completely invincible for the duration of the move), Garcia's overpowered attacks (a charged melee attack is an instant kill, the light shot is unlimited and paralyzes enemies allowing you to kill them with a single press of the X button, shooting off an enemy's legs makes it helpless -- I could go on) and the pathetic demons (even the enemies that are supposed to be extra tough are laughable -- when you're fighting those rolling spiky dudes, for example, the stupid fuckers roll into each other, knocking each other out).
    mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By mrangryface

@CptPanda29: Entirely possible. I still enjoy a few AAA titles here and there- but I play and complete far more b-list games these days.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By mazik765
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bybeach

Charged melee kill,..that one has been passing me by. All I know is to stun them slightly with a melee. But then I didn't know I had a shottie till I hit the d-pad for the teether.I wondered why I wuz gettin' green bones. As for this game, holding my tongue for a bit, see iff'n it has the Suda51 spin to it. SotD most cirtaintly does. :)

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CptPanda29

@mazik765: Oh Christ, that should have been the full stop...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.