Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GoldenEye 007

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 02, 2010

GoldenEye 007 (for the Wii and Nintendo DS) is a re-imagining of the 1997 Nintendo 64 classic of the same name (as well as the 1995 movie it was based off of).

Shaken not stirred with a side of canned ham.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Edited By Claude
     GoldenEye 007 for the Wii. Crazy.

It seems the Wii now has two of the best re-imagined games to date. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and from what I've played, GoldenEye 007
     My version.
     My version.

I haven't played the original GoldenEye 007 since the year it was released. I hardly touched the multiplayer in that game, so no nostalgia there. But after some research, I found that I wanted to play this re-imagined version. The single player seemed to have some meat on its old bones, turned out to be a delicious canned ham.

The Controls

So many options of play, but I found my sweet spot for my Wii Remote and Nunchuk and now there's no turning back. It's smooth as silk and rock solid during play. Okay, I lied. There's some awkward button configurations, but you learn to adapt. But the IR use and movement is so much fun that I forgive some of the Wii Remote's button shortcomings. Some of the gestures used seem kind of dumb, opening some closed doors with gestures seems tacked on and sometimes you just press "A" when a gesture of just pulling seemed more appropriate. There are some quick time events, but nothing obtrusive.

The Levels

I really like them. Again the the word options comes up. Do you go in the front door of a kitchen or try the side door? Do you go left or try the air duct to the right and sneak up behind your enemies? Some parts are straight forward as in run straight forward and don't die. I'm almost done with my playthrough on the easiest difficulty, and I'm looking forward to retrying on the next difficulty level with knowledge gained, again, nothing ground breaking, but lots of fun to be had.

Enemy A.I.

Not the smartest, but they'll fuck you up if you're not careful. The fun lies in trying to figure out how to get through a room or level without being noticed or taking out as many enemy A.I. as silently as you can. When noticed, flanking and grenades seem to be their favorites when they try to act smart. You can't sit still for long, otherwise, they'll flush you out or kill you with a well placed grenade. They feel like video game characters with their patterns of attack. Is that a bad thing? 

Now for the canned ham... When you shoot someone, you would expect them to be pushed backwards from the force of the shot. Not in this game, I have seen so many enemies get shot only to fall forward, over a rail, down a flight of stairs, that it makes me laugh every time, still fun, if not a little silly. Video games, gotta love them. Also, lots of set pieces, but they add to the tension of the moment, so I really didn't mind them that much. As always, look for explosive barrels, fire extinguishers and fuel tanks, you might find a surprise.   

Graphics

This isn't Black Ops, this isn't the PS3, Xbox 360 or PC, they serve their purpose. I did stop a quite a few times to notice the details.
     What? It's a video game.
     What? It's a video game.
    I have found them very pleasing. Enemies disappear very soon after being taken down sometimes leaving their guns floating in the air and some shots seem to hit invisible walls, but other than that, nothing majorly bad. The whole game seems rather smooth and simple with its style with little touches of cool here and there.

Well, I think I covered that part. What else?

The damn thing reminds me of a video game. Not a video game of today, but of yesterday with a splash of current. I've died... a lot. I've gotten frustrated... a few times. But I persevere and push on to the next mission. One thing that had me scratching my head was no end mission stats. I remember GoldenEye 007 on the N64 having stats, head shots, accuracy, etc. In this game, you get a time of completion and unlock the time trial for that mission. Am I missing something? I miss my stats, maybe I should try the online portion. 
     Yummy
     Yummy

That's it. I just wanted to get these thoughts out there. Oh, and I like canned ham.

Thanks for reading.

Claude
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Claude
     GoldenEye 007 for the Wii. Crazy.

It seems the Wii now has two of the best re-imagined games to date. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and from what I've played, GoldenEye 007
     My version.
     My version.

I haven't played the original GoldenEye 007 since the year it was released. I hardly touched the multiplayer in that game, so no nostalgia there. But after some research, I found that I wanted to play this re-imagined version. The single player seemed to have some meat on its old bones, turned out to be a delicious canned ham.

The Controls

So many options of play, but I found my sweet spot for my Wii Remote and Nunchuk and now there's no turning back. It's smooth as silk and rock solid during play. Okay, I lied. There's some awkward button configurations, but you learn to adapt. But the IR use and movement is so much fun that I forgive some of the Wii Remote's button shortcomings. Some of the gestures used seem kind of dumb, opening some closed doors with gestures seems tacked on and sometimes you just press "A" when a gesture of just pulling seemed more appropriate. There are some quick time events, but nothing obtrusive.

The Levels

I really like them. Again the the word options comes up. Do you go in the front door of a kitchen or try the side door? Do you go left or try the air duct to the right and sneak up behind your enemies? Some parts are straight forward as in run straight forward and don't die. I'm almost done with my playthrough on the easiest difficulty, and I'm looking forward to retrying on the next difficulty level with knowledge gained, again, nothing ground breaking, but lots of fun to be had.

Enemy A.I.

Not the smartest, but they'll fuck you up if you're not careful. The fun lies in trying to figure out how to get through a room or level without being noticed or taking out as many enemy A.I. as silently as you can. When noticed, flanking and grenades seem to be their favorites when they try to act smart. You can't sit still for long, otherwise, they'll flush you out or kill you with a well placed grenade. They feel like video game characters with their patterns of attack. Is that a bad thing? 

Now for the canned ham... When you shoot someone, you would expect them to be pushed backwards from the force of the shot. Not in this game, I have seen so many enemies get shot only to fall forward, over a rail, down a flight of stairs, that it makes me laugh every time, still fun, if not a little silly. Video games, gotta love them. Also, lots of set pieces, but they add to the tension of the moment, so I really didn't mind them that much. As always, look for explosive barrels, fire extinguishers and fuel tanks, you might find a surprise.   

Graphics

This isn't Black Ops, this isn't the PS3, Xbox 360 or PC, they serve their purpose. I did stop a quite a few times to notice the details.
     What? It's a video game.
     What? It's a video game.
    I have found them very pleasing. Enemies disappear very soon after being taken down sometimes leaving their guns floating in the air and some shots seem to hit invisible walls, but other than that, nothing majorly bad. The whole game seems rather smooth and simple with its style with little touches of cool here and there.

Well, I think I covered that part. What else?

The damn thing reminds me of a video game. Not a video game of today, but of yesterday with a splash of current. I've died... a lot. I've gotten frustrated... a few times. But I persevere and push on to the next mission. One thing that had me scratching my head was no end mission stats. I remember GoldenEye 007 on the N64 having stats, head shots, accuracy, etc. In this game, you get a time of completion and unlock the time trial for that mission. Am I missing something? I miss my stats, maybe I should try the online portion. 
     Yummy
     Yummy

That's it. I just wanted to get these thoughts out there. Oh, and I like canned ham.

Thanks for reading.

Claude
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By sweep  Moderator

"  Not the smartest, but they'll fuck you up if you're not careful. "

This sounds uncomfortably familiar. 

I like games which have a legitimate stealth option, that's always the most entertaining way of negotiating a level of enemies - having to figure out which order to kill them, timing shots etc. Stealth is just one big first-person gun puzzle :D
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Claude, are you trying to tell me you love your Wii?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Claude
    @Sweep said:
    "

"  Not the smartest, but they'll fuck you up if you're not careful. "

This sounds uncomfortably familiar.  I like games which have a legitimate stealth option, that's always the most entertaining way of negotiating a level of enemies - having to figure out which order to kill them, timing shots etc. Stealth is just one big first-person gun puzzle :D "
    It's not really stealth, well, you do crouch, but it feels much different. But when they get alarmed, it's on like Donkey Kong.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Claude said:
     it's on like Donkey Kong.    
    Fix'd, don't want you to get sued, bro.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Hamz

I kind of wish I did have a Wii just to check out the new GoldenEye. Loved the N64 version back in the day!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Claude
    @InfamousBIG said:
    " @Claude said:
     it's on like Donkey Kong.    
    Fix'd, don't want you to get sued, bro. "
    Thanks man, I knew you had my back. And yes, I love my god-damned Wii. You hear that haters, the Wii, yes the Wii. Wii.
    Skullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Skullo

I'am very interesting in it. I want to play the SP. But whenever I get a wireless network going, I'm totally going for MP. Going to be awesome popping my MP cherry.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#10  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

As soon as I have the room to connect my Wii again, this is going to be a must-have purchase along with a ton of games that were released this year.  I spent a goddamn ridiculous amount of time playing the original along with Perfect Dark as a teenager, and I crave that old-school gunning style along with some multiplayer.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Claude
    @Skullo said:

" I'am very interesting in it. I want to play the SP. But whenever I get a wireless network going, I'm totally going for MP. Going to be awesome popping my MP cherry. "

I might try the online once I finish the main story and before I up the difficulty. I do feel like I could shoot some people with some precision, plus, it's free with no talk, only the game, me and the joy of gameplay.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By sjupp
    @Claude said:

" And yes, I love my god-damned Wii. "

Aw shit. Did you really have to? Now it's stuck inside my head again...

Also, pretty review.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Claude
    @Sjupp said:
    " @Claude said:

" And yes, I love my god-damned Wii. "

Aw shit. Did you really have to? Now it's stuck inside my head again...  Also, pretty review. "
    I am so sorry. And thanks.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Dalai

The N64 game is still pretty fresh in my memory and I do kinda miss that vintage shooter feel, but I had to take a pass on this one. I'm glad (and surprised) people really like the new GoldenEye so everybody wins.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Claude
    @Dalai said:
    " The N64 game is still pretty fresh in my memory and I do kinda miss that vintage shooter feel, but I had to take a pass on this one. I'm glad (and surprised) people really like the new GoldenEye so everybody wins. "
    You should still try it one day Dalai. It's fun. Plain and simple. I had three choices when buying this game; Civilization V, NBA Jam or GoldenEye 007 and I'm happy with my choice. There again, I was in the mood to shoot some fucks.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Claude: I love how crouching constitutes stealth :D 

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Tireyo

I'm really trying to be patient for the release of Donkey Kong Country Returns. I want it to be out already.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Dalai
    @Claude: I might go bargain bin on this one when I feel like shooting some fucks, but I just got Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wii Party, and the new Sims 3 expansion today... then Donkey Kong and maybe Epic Mickey later this month so I'm currently buying way too many games.
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @Sweep said:
    "  @Claude: I love how crouching constitutes stealth :D  "
    Make sure you tell that to Garnett Lee.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Fallen189
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " @Sweep said:
    Make sure you tell that to Garnett Lee. "
    Lets not open this tin of worms, haha. Super MEGA WORMS!

Also Claude,  how do you prefer your spam?
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Claude
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " @Sweep said:
    Make sure you tell that to Garnett Lee. "
    Lets not open this tin of worms, haha. Super MEGA WORMS!  Also Claude,  how do you prefer your spam? "

Sometimes I like classic spam.
    Sometimes I like classic spam.
    Or maybe fried with some mustard between two pieces of bread.
    Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mrskidders

So including the games you mentioned that brings the amount of good games on the Wii to 2.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Claude
    @Mrskidders said:
    " So including the games you mentioned that brings the amount of good games on the Wii to 2. "
    New Carnival Games is Motion Plus compatible, duh.
    Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mrskidders
    @Claude said:
    " @Mrskidders said:
    " So including the games you mentioned that brings the amount of good games on the Wii to 2. "
    New Carnival Games is Motion Plus compatible, duh. "
    I stand corrected, thank you.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#26  Edited By Hailinel
    @dudeglove said:
    " I hated Goldeneye on the N64 with a passion. I seriously wanted to be good at it, but whatever it was about the controls and the iffy enemy AI it just ruined it for me. I'm not sure I actually beat the game.  I do remember multiplayer being bullshit. Remote mines my ass. "
    Remote mines nothing.  Proximity mines were where the true hilarity lied.
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Marzy

Great blog.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By breadfan
    GoldenEye is the perfect blend of new and old. The campaign was very enjoyable and has a surprising amount of re-playability. I haven't jumped into the online that much, but so far it is what I was expecting. It's not super in-depth, but that's kind of a refreshing change in an online shooter.

Overall a fine Wii game.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Claude
    @Br3adfan:  I just finished on the easiest difficulty, automatically started a game in 007 Classic mode. It is fun. I've played about an hour or so of multiplayer. Not bad either. I can shoot people, not the best, but I'm learning.

Edit

Oh yeah, that dude is great.

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fraser

I don't think there's anything wrong with a video-game being "video-gamey". In fact, I think it's a necessary thing once in a while amongst the current game situation. There's something inherently awesome about playing a game that's all about taking advantage of guard patterns, memorising routes etc. 

This blog has made me slightly interested in this game. Which I assure you, sir, was no small task. 

Also Spagles = the best.

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pretender15
    @InfamousBIG said:
    " Claude, are you trying to tell me you love your Wii? "
    Why wouldn't he?
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Black_Rose

It's a great game, and the AI is surprisingly smart, probably the best on any Wii game I've seen. The Classic 007 difficulty is a pain in the ass for me.  

Here's my fc in case you want to duke it out sometime:  176392326974 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.