So will it live up to the one on N64?

#1 Edited by Daveyo520 (6661 posts) -

It kinda just looks like a generic shooter with a James Bond skin on the Wii right now. It will be very hard to relive the magic of the old game or live up to the hype. You all saw how the other Golden Eye game did.

#2 Posted by SamFo (1521 posts) -

Especially considering it looks like it will be sold as a full price game. 

Goldeneye should have remained on n64 or as a neat little XBLA / VC game, but I think this will be like the conduit. A middle of the road wii shooter.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18913 posts) -
#4 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I doubt it, it doesn't look bad but it doesn't look anywhere near Goldeneye. 

#5 Edited by Daveyo520 (6661 posts) -
@Brunchies: ya, it looks like just another shooter. Not good, not bad, just average. Which is not Golden Eye

@JJOR64:  They sure did make the best COD games. 

Sigh Nintendo, sigh. I blame Activision for that though.
#6 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

of course not, just trying to live up to nostalgia.

#7 Posted by goodwood (600 posts) -

Goldeneye just had that special feel to it where back in the 90s everyone played and it was the first multiplayer game a lot of people played. We dont need it again its a good memory and now this will ruin a memory.

#8 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

No.

Plus this,

@JJOR64 said:

" Fuck no, it's being made by Treyarch. "
#9 Posted by papercut (3451 posts) -

remember Conduit? if you like how that felt then great. if not too bad.

#10 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Ofc not...

#11 Posted by Scullinator (512 posts) -

They would have been better off just releasing the 64 version in the Wii store.   Its nice for nostalgia but after a few min. you will realize how dated it really is.

#12 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Not the first time someone tried to make something new out of Goldeneye.

Everyone would be better off with N64 version ports, but that version is owned by too many competing forces.  So noone gets to enjoy what they want.

#13 Posted by guiseppe (2838 posts) -

No, it looked really bad. At least I think it did.

#14 Posted by ToadRunner (277 posts) -

wait... i thought it was just a remake?

thats what the gb article made it sound like

#15 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Hooray for Treyarch hate.

#16 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

Whats with all the hate? Is it because it's on the Wii? Because it's made by Treyarch? Give the game a chance, you never know, it could turn out brilliant.

#17 Posted by Daveyo520 (6661 posts) -
@Blueman: Not those reasons. It is just really really hard to live up to peoples memories of that game and the nostalgia.
#18 Posted by Toxin066 (3257 posts) -

Highly doubtful. Even if it was made by Bungie or Infinity Ward.

#19 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1868 posts) -

i really dont think so. such a shame. although, to be fair, im quite sure what we saw was not the final product, it may well improve  by launch.

#20 Posted by Daveyo520 (6661 posts) -
@Halberdierv2: You're right. They have plenty of time to make it the best they can.
#21 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

This is going to be shit.

#22 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

I have an N64 with Goldeneye so unless they give me a compelling reason to pick this up, it'll be a pass for me.

#23 Posted by Daveyo520 (6661 posts) -
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" This is going to be shit. "
I don't know about shit...
#24 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -
@Daveyo520 said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" This is going to be shit. "
I don't know about shit... "
Remakes where the original developer isn't involved are usually shit.
#25 Posted by SoftButtCheeks (145 posts) -

Far too much hype to live up to. The ridiculous auto-aim will be adjusted from the first as well so people will complain about that.

#26 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

It is doomed to fail. You can't remake a cultural phenomenon.

#27 Edited by zonerover (584 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:

" It is doomed to fail. You can't remake a cultural phenomenon. "

You can't remake a cultural phenomenon because that was yesterday's success. You're going to have to top it.  Somehow I don't see this happening with this game.

While details are still rather weak, one example of a yesterday mentality is the split screen multiplayer. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but most serious shooters have moved online. If this is not online, it's going to be like The Conduit all over again.

Aside from that though, until we see whether they're going to do a 1:1 copy of all the previous GoldenEye levels or is it going to do more, will we get new weapons/ways to kill people (death traps), and whether it has good controls (YOU HAVE TO MOVE AND SHOOT), I'm reserving judgement

Oh yeah, and lets not forget Rogue Agent.
#28 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3702 posts) -

No. Nothing can. That game is better in people's minds than it actually is now because of the moment in time it existed. The world has moved on. No one wants to play Goldeneye again. They just think they do.

#29 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I think I actually prefer a inspired by game then a full remake.

Just saying, Perfect Dark on XBA was fun, but not that much fun!
We ain't multiplayering it, that's MW2/BC2/Generic shooter crap 5's role still :/

#30 Posted by lolwot (254 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
" No.

Plus this,

@JJOR64 said:
"

Uh, no. It's being developed by Eurocom, who also recently developed Dead Space: Extraction.
#31 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

Probably not. Eurocom would have to work miracles to meet inflated expectations. I completely expect it to be better than rogue agent though. Man that game was bad.  

They just need to tighten up those graphics.
#32 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -

I say you guys wait for an actual gameplay video instead of basing the hate off a trailer.

#33 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

Probably not.

FPSes moved on so much from then. And it's harder to stand out from the crowd nowadays.

#34 Posted by Daveyo520 (6661 posts) -
@Zidd: Anything can be better than Rouge Agent
#35 Posted by Bones8677 (3213 posts) -

Hell no.

#36 Posted by PS3RG (424 posts) -
@animateria said:
" Probably not.  FPSes moved on so much from then. And it's harder to stand out from the crowd nowadays. "
THIS X100. GoldenEye is done. Let it be. 
#37 Posted by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" I say you guys wait for an actual gameplay video instead of basing the hate off a trailer. "
But this is the internet...Aren't we suppose to hate everything and make judgments on games we know nothing about!
#38 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" This is going to be the shit. "
Fixed
#39 Edited by VinLieger (100 posts) -
@natetodamax said:

" I say you guys wait for an actual gameplay video instead of basing the hate off a trailer. "

Well considering there was a fair amount of gameplay in the trailer i think people can do what they want.
Its obvious the graphics and gameplay are different, they have also added in different characters (Daniel Craig), and now apparently the story is not the one from the game or the movie, its plot is completely different but the levels will be in similar locations. I think thats enough reason for people to be angry. This stinks of another Rogue Agent to me
#40 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2480 posts) -

The fact that they went to the effort to stick Daniel Craig in the game just says it all to me. Regardless of how good it may or may not turn out there's nothing that will stop me from sighing every time I see that guy doing something that Brosnan should have done.

#41 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

No. Absolutely not. Never. 

I don't need to read any impressions from the show floor to know that this game is just abandoning the feel of the original and making it like every other FPS today, only with the name slapped on just to get people excited. 
And I have actually been playing the original game for more than a week now after buying it from a used game shop, so it's not just memories that I'm basing my thoughts off of. The technical limitations of the original aside, Activision is ignoring the gameplay system and framework that not only made THAT game great, but its successor Perfect Dark great as well, just to make linear, checkpoint heavy gameplay with regenerative health. 

Weird. Normally I don't want to hate a game so much. I normally choose to not care, but this...I can't help but feel angry. It's like I just want to crash the excitement of whoever's actually looking forward to this, and show them what Goldeneye really is, not just based on memories. Even if that ends up making me a bit of an asshole. 

#42 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -
@Lydian_Sel: I'm pretty sure that Activision only has the rights to make James Bond games using only daniel craig's likeness.
#43 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2414 posts) -

Considering its being made by activision you know they are going to fuck up a few things.

#44 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

Somehow I'm slightly comforted by the fact that it has classic controller support. I just can't see myself doing split-screen with three other people waving their remotes around beside me.

#45 Posted by Mooshu (486 posts) -

Not a chance in hell.

#46 Posted by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

Sadly, no.

#47 Posted by Heartagram (1181 posts) -

Go back and try to play goldeneye now its terrible. So yeah it will probably be as good as goldeneye if you try to play it now....

#48 Posted by Shaanyboi (1273 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
It's made by Eurocom, dumbass.  

And no, it won't live up to the N64 one because everyone still looks at the old one as if its still to this day the greatest FPS ever made, and they played that one to death for years.  Even the slightest change, and people will bitch because, well, it's the internet and that's what whiny-ass fanboys do.
#49 Posted by JJOR64 (18913 posts) -
@Shaanyboi:   This thread was made 4 months ago dumbass.  Thought Treyarch was making it when it was first announced.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.