What's the deal with fake gun names?

#1 Posted by Vkramac (23 posts) -

It makes no sense for any shooter that models it's guns after real guns to use fake names .   I found it really annoying in the early going picking up and discarding guns just to identify them.

Eurocom can use the proper name for the P99.  Other Activision titles use real gun names.  It's hard to imagine that a publisher would license the rights to use a manufacturer's gun likeness and name on a per title basis?  Is this actually how it is done?  Does Blood Stone use fake gun names?

#2 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

I don't know because I've not played either, but it might be to retain the names from the original.

#3 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I thought it was the PP9. Shows how much I know about guns...

#4 Posted by Jost1 (2078 posts) -

pew pew pew

#5 Posted by E211 (31 posts) -

Because like with cars in games they have to buy the licence to use the name.

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

Really don't care much.
I rather have awesome weapons like the cerebral bore or cyclone then the same boring assault rifles with generic names.

#7 Posted by Lucifer (263 posts) -

probably a homage to when games didn't have as much money and they couldn't afford to have licensed weapons.

#8 Posted by MrKadaver (140 posts) -

Original had fake names, sometimes named after the people who made it like the "klobb".

#9 Posted by Zero_ (1977 posts) -

The gun licensing is probably on a per-title basis.

#10 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Lucifer said:
" probably a homage to when games didn't have as much money and they couldn't afford to have licensed weapons. "
This. The names in the original goldeneye were like this too.
#11 Posted by aurahack (2289 posts) -
@MrKadaver said:
" Original had fake names, sometimes named after the people who made it like the "klobb". "
Ta-da!
#12 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

Blood Stone has real licensed names for it's weapons

I'm using an AK-74 alot in that game

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11411 posts) -

Because having the guns be named differently will certainly impact the gameplay a lot. 

#14 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Because not everyone cares whether a gun is called an assault rifle, an AK-47, a machine gun, or Happy Dave's Boom-Boom Device.

#15 Posted by BitterAlmond (400 posts) -

Actually, the AK-47 is properly named. I would assume because the gun is the intellectual property of the Russian government (or so I've heard) and the name can be used without paying royalties.

#16 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
Happy Dave's Boom-Boom Device. "
Only found in Borderlands.
#17 Posted by Mikemcn (7023 posts) -

I love James Bond games mostly for their fake gun names, so Yay!

I never played the original Goldeneye but it's sequel had some real gun names mixed with fake ones. It had the real SA-80 but it's version of an M-16 was called a "Mustang"

#18 Posted by pretender15 (192 posts) -
@Ineedaname said:
" I don't know because I've not played either, but it might be to retain the names from the original. "
They are trying to name them after the original gun names.
#19 Posted by melcene (3034 posts) -

I certainly would care if they're named after guns from the original game, or even similar to those names.  Personally I loved the Laptop gun and the RCP90, along with others.  Their name is also what set them apart.

#20 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (799 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong: I was too stupid to figure out how to use the cerebral bore back when I rented that game. Could you tell me?
#21 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

I can't imagine something I care less about than the names of my virtual guns. This is exactly why I only play games with fictional guns with my friends, because they are the types of guys that will explain to me what type of gun it is, why it was invented and other shit that I don't care about.

#22 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -
@ViciousAnchovy: 
From what I remember it only worked on the semi intelligent creatures (aka the gunners, not dino's or beast thingies).
The gun locks on, you see a reticule turn red, you fire, the projectile bores his way through the victims head while first blood spews out, then gray matter, and then he falls over.

<3
#23 Edited by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

I'd rather see fake names in all games. Screw trying to keep track of the difference between an AK-47, an AK-74, an M16, etc. etc. 

To many letters and numbers, man! Did the creators just glance at their license plates while naming them?!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.